2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (busa, clothearednincompo, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, benkeys, Burkhard, 5 invisible), 1,119 guests, and 253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
OP Offline
T
Well, after I took in my friend's old Krell piano I've pretty much decided to get rid of it (it's my only other post on these forums). I know someone who wants to sell their Kimball grand with Louie XV legs (model 5883, you can check out the pictures in the imgur album) for about a $1000 plus a trade for the Yamaha DGX 650 I've been using up until now. Don't have much experience or knowledge about acoustic pianos so some advice would be appreciated if this is a good offer or not.

Imgur album: https://imgur.com/a/1dJwNrR

Took these photos while checking it out, keys play and sound fine. From what I can tell it'll just need a good tuning after moving.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
It’s from 1982. Does it have a couple of broken hammers in the high treble? Sorta looks that way in one photo.

“Just needs tuning” could mean anything from tuning, a minor or major pitch raise (multiple tunings), bridge issues, to a failing pinblock. This wasn’t a high quality piano when new, so it’s probably a good idea to pay an independent technician to inspect it, prior to purchase, in order to know what you’re really dealing with.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
T
OP Offline
T
Huh, I found something pretty interesting.

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/1422157/Info_on_Kimball_Baby_Grand.html

Looks like the seller actually came here to the forum 8 years ago asking about the exact same piano (serial number D37796, model 5883 with the Louie XV legs). Looks like it's been kept in good condition since then.

T
OP Offline
T
I'm going back next week to check it out more thoroughly, might do what they did last time and bring along a technician like you mentioned. I'll definitely take more photos and come back here with more info.

P
P
Those legs! A great-aunt of mine had legs just like that smile

Looks like an ok little piano, though...

P
P
I learned to play on a tiny Kimball spinet (they called it a consolette) that had the same legs, wood tone, and music desk.

Peter
1949 Baldwin M
currently working on Brahms op. 10 Ballades, f-minor sonata and 2nd concerto
Mendelssohn Songs Without Words and E minor Prelude and Fugue
whatever strikes my fancy today.
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
I always recommend to anyone looking at a used piano that they hire a qualified piano technician to evaluate the piano prior to any decision to buy. To your untrained eyes and ears it may just need tuning. Perhaps that's the case, but there could be any number of issues that are not apparent to the average consumer that may be expensive to repair. Not that there likely are those kinds of issues, but it's always better to have someone experienced who knows what s/he's looking for give the piano a thorough once over so that you're not surprised with unexpected and/or costly repairs when you do hire a technician to come tune your piano.

Adam Schulte-Bukowinski, RPT
Piano Technician, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
ASB Piano Service
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by precise

Precise,
I think you have been looking at too many grand pianos.
I am sure your aunt did not have Kimball piano legs ?
The look of that Kimball piano is rather nice .Victorian kind of
legs .What is the tone like ?

P
P
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
Originally Posted by precise

Precise,
I think you have been looking at too many grand pianos.
I am sure your aunt did not have Kimball piano legs ?
Actually, she had Queen Anne legs! smile

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Did she leave poor Queen Anne in a wheelchair?

Semipro Tech
P
P
Originally Posted by BDB
Did she leave poor Queen Anne in a wheelchair?
smile smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm going to give a NO vote on the Kimball. I have restored many different name brands over the years and I hold Kimball near the bottom of my list of pianos to restore. They just weren't made very well. I think you can do better for a Thousand dollars. A client of mine just bought a Baldwin L for that, and it sounds better than most Steinways in my opinion.
Regards,
-chris

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
This might be one of Kimball's "Viennese Edition" grands. It looks exactly like one of the 5'8" versions I work on regularly. These were of much better quality than the standard Kimball grands. Have a technician check it out for you.

Eric Gloo
Piano Technician
Certified Dampp-Chaser Installer
Richfield Springs, New York
Originally Posted by Eric Gloo
This might be one of Kimball's "Viennese Edition" grands. It looks exactly like one of the 5'8" versions I work on regularly. These were of much better quality than the standard Kimball grands. Have a technician check it out for you.

I owned one of the Kimball 5'8" model Viennese grands for a while and I was impressed with it. It held a tuning like a rock with the laminated sound-board and the Schwander action felt pretty good to my untrained fingers. I enjoyed it during the time I owned it. I like the big Bosendorfer like sound holes in the plate.

Of course, I'm just a back-woods, hillbilly, country-boy, self-taught piano player wannabe who never had a formal piano lesson in his life. However, one of my piano music videos on YT has over 4 million views. I guess you never know what the listening audience will like or not like... smile

Rick

P.S. There is actually a YT video of me playing around with the Kimball Viennese not long after I got it...

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
T
OP Offline
T
Yes I think this is one of the Viennese Edition grands from what the current owner said. Eric actually spoke with them 8 years ago about this exact same piano (same model and serial number)

https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...o-on-kimball-baby-grand.html#Post1425531

Also, woah! I didn't realize you were the one who posted that video, Rickster. I've seen it a bunch of times over the years.

Originally Posted by tokyocaster
Also, woah! I didn't realize you were the one who posted that video, Rickster. I've seen it a bunch of times over the years.

Thanks for the honorable mention, tokyocaster. Not everyone who's watched and listened to my old saloon piano video on YT liked it, but a lot of viewers have. I never in a million years imagined that video would get over 4 million views. I've gotten hundreds/thousands of comments, both good and bad. When you post your music on YT you have to take the criticism with the complements. I've also gotten many comments from viewers saying that watching my music video has inspired/encouraged them to want to learn to play the piano. I figure that is a good thing... smile

If the piano you are looking is indeed one of the Kimball Viennese models, it'd be worth checking out. I have a Baldwin R with the Queen-Anne/Art-Case style legs and I love it.

All the best,

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rickster
I never in a million years imagined that video would get over 4 million views.

4 million views is incredible! That's awesome. thumb

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

T
OP Offline
T
Alright, back with some news. Bought the piano for $800, went and checked it out beforehand and it played great. Pedals working, keys felt good. After the move back home though some of the higher keys still sustain/hold out even after I've let go. Is that normal for a piano after a move? I heard from someone else it takes time for a piano to 'settle', and that I should wait a couple days first before tuning?

B
BDB Offline
B
The top notes of all pianos do not have dampers. This is more noticeable in some pianos, and it may be what you are experiencing. You can look under the music desk and see which notes do not have them.

Waiting a while before tuning is often a good idea. A couple of weeks is probably enough.

Semipro Tech
T
OP Offline
T
Yep, thanks for the reply! Although that doesn't seem to be the case. Most of the notes past middle C still ring out slightly, even the ones with dampers. Seems like the dampers are just barely not touching after I let go of a note. The movers said that it'd just need a tighter screw underneath where the pedals are to fix, although I have no idea. The day before when I checked the piano out it didn't have this problem. :-(
Other than that though, it sounds really great. It gave me goosebumps the first I played it, so different from the electric keyboard I've been on until now.
Made an appointment with my local tuner and he said he'll come tune/and check it out next week.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission