2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 12 invisible), 2,158 guests, and 339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16
S
S
Google Calendars has a public feature: https://support.google.com/calendar/answer/37083?hl=en
This can be used to share any details noteworthy events on the calendar.

O
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
O
I am traveling to Mansfield, CT, UConn, to hear Frederic Rzewski performing his own "The People United Will Never Be Defeated" on Novenber 3rd.

I am traveling from Europe.

Mark_C Offline OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Originally Posted by OE1FEU
I am traveling to Mansfield, CT, UConn, to hear Frederic Rzewski performing his own "The People United Will Never Be Defeated" on Novenber 3rd.

I am traveling from Europe.

Also exactly the kind of thing I'm thrilled to know about, and wouldn't have.
We'll be looking into going.

Silver Supporter until Sept 10 2020
500 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Sept 10 2020
500 Post Club Member
If you are anywhere near Seattle, the President’s Piano series at Meany Hall, on the University of Washington campus, is impressive (intimate 1250 seat hall, beautiful acoustics). Last week we heard Marc-André Hamelin in recital. Coming up: Jeremy Denk in January, Filippo Gorini (Feb.), Emanuel Ax (April), and in May, Yekwon Sunwoo, Cliburn 2017 winner. Also: Stephen Hough with the Taiwan Philharmonic in November.

Estonia 168 (she sings!), Kawaii Es-110 for late-night practice.
Very few people travel more than a small distance to see a concert. People who live in a given place know which venues have classical concerts and should check the online listings for those places. It takes just a few minutes to bookmark all the concert listings for all the venues.

Any listings on a PW thread are just duplicates of those listings, and they will only be a minuscule percentage of those listings that are easily available online. If someone is interested enough to travel far to see a famous pianist, just check their website for their concert schedule.

Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
You would make a fine critic. grin

(I think many might feel a thread like this is a very useful additional resource.
I certainly do.)

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by schinl
Google Calendars has a public feature: https://support.google.com/calendar/answer/37083?hl=en
This can be used to share any details noteworthy events on the calendar.

Exactly! We could create one, link it here, and have people submit based on location or based on artist.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
First attempt:

Piano Calendar

Trying to see if there is a way to click a link and get it to import automatically. No luck so far.

Last edited by cmb13; 10/25/18 01:06 PM.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I think Yuja Wang is coming to the LA area in March. I may go see it smile

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
I think Yuja Wang is coming to the LA area in March. I may go see it smile

"it"? smile

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Sorry, I meant the show/performance smile Here is a link.

https://www.laphil.com/events/performances/186/

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
There should be a clickable link enabling add to calendar but most sites don't seem to have one. Eventbrite does but it is a limited site.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Very few people travel more than a small distance to see a concert. People who live in a given place know which venues have classical concerts and should check the online listings for those places. It takes just a few minutes to bookmark all the concert listings for all the venues.

Any listings on a PW thread are just duplicates of those listings, and they will only be a minuscule percentage of those listings that are easily available online. If someone is interested enough to travel far to see a famous pianist, just check their website for their concert schedule.

Plover
You live in NYC so you have many options the remainder of us do not have. I have traveled from western Florida to NYC Follow specific pianists? I get to hear so few, that my list to follow would go around s NYC block. Please don’t assume the usefulness to others unless you live in a town of 30,000

Last edited by dogperson; 10/25/18 01:30 PM.
Originally Posted by dogperson

Plover
You live in NYC so you have many options the remainder of us do not have. I have traveled from western Florida to NYC Follow specific pianists? I get to hear so few, that my list to follow would go around s NYC block. Please don’t assume the usefulness to others unless you live in a town of 30,000
You traveled from Florida to NYC for a single concert??

I can't think of any pianists I would travel more than a couple of hours to hear even if I lived in a remote area. I can listen and watch them, sometimes in live performances, on YouTube. It's hard for me to imagine anyone would have a list of more than 10 pianists they would travel a distance to hear.

If whoever said they are traveling from Europe to hear Rzewski play his People United variations is traveling that far ONLY for that concert, I have to say I find that bizarre. I think he plays it on Youtube.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 10/25/18 01:52 PM.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member

I can't think of any pianists I would travel far to hear if I lived in a remote area. I can listen and watch them, sometimes in love performances, on YouTube. It's hard for me to imagine anyone would have a list of more than 10 pianists they would travel a distance to hear.

If whoever said they are traveling from France to hear Rzewski play his People United variations is traveling that far ONLY for that concert, I have to say I find that bizarre. I think he plays it on Youtube.

I think travelling to concerts is great. I have only a short flight to every major city in Western Europe. I go over in the morning, have a relaxed day, and then come home the next day. The pianists are probably doing the same thing a couple of times per week. grin

Last edited by johnstaf; 10/25/18 01:52 PM.
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Many people I know travel for all sorts of recreational reasons. I have friends who travel to see Dave Matthews or other jam bands, friends who do marathons or ultras in various cities and even other countries, some who travel to see presidential libraries, some who travel to see baseball games at various parks even if the teams come here occasionally, etc.

I traveled to NY to see Beegie Adair; made a weekend of it and spent the weekend with my brother, who lives in NJ. I bought tickets to see Lisitsa in Amelia Island, a 6 hr drive, but then she booked another venue right in my town so I cancelled the other one. I also once bought tickets to see Umphrey's McGee in Atlanta but then they came to Miami so I cancelled that one too. My brother once went to Chicago for a special wine tasting after work, came back the same night in and out of Newark.

We've got one life to live, may as well make it count! Traveling by plane is not much different than a long bus ride was years ago. Plus, I have friends and family all over the country, so we make a weekend out of it.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by dogperson

Plover

I can't think of any pianists I would travel more than a couple of hours to hear even if I lived in a remote area. I can listen and watch them, sometimes in live performances, on YouTube. It's hard for me to imagine anyone would have a list of more than 10 pianists they would travel a distance to hear.

If whoever said they are traveling from Europe to hear Rzewski play his People United variations is traveling that far ONLY for that concert, I have to say I find that bizarre. I think he plays it on Youtube.

Plover
Of course you wouldn’t travel— You don’t need to. But if you lived someplace without concerts, I bet you would. Think outside of your own little world. Some of us are hungry for great performances. Can I do it often? Of course not

Last edited by dogperson; 10/25/18 03:15 PM.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

I've travel from Washington DC to NYC regularly for the opera since I'm a member of the Met. The 2018-19 season has just started and they will have three performances of the Ring Cycle. That will not only bring me up to NYC, it will keep me there for a few days. this time, I've talked with a friend in Utah about going with me, so he would be traveling even further for the performing arts. I've even traveled from DC to NY State (mid-state) for an extremely rarely performed opera. I don't see that as a big deal. I guess it depends on what it means to you, eh? I've even travelled to another country for a concert before. Can't remember where I was, but it wasn't Austria, and I travelled to Salzburg for an opera.

Given that these days, performing arts tickets can be up to $300 for orchestra/parterre (Met for example), a little travel seems almost like an incidental expense/bother.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
I live in New York, and I've traveled to Boston a few times specifically for concerts.

For certain performers I might well travel a much longer distance. For example, to see Argerich I'd consider going halfway across the country. For others, like Chopin or LIszt, I'd go to Mars. ha

Originally Posted by Mark_C
For certain performers I might well travel a much longer distance. For example, to see Argerich I'd consider going halfway across the country.
I saw her three or four times right in NYC.

Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission