2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Carey, AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, booms, 6 invisible), 1,871 guests, and 262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by DazedAndConfused

So Mortenson might only have 10 discreet finger speeds at his disposal (poor guy) but even with those 10 he can produce 1000s of colours.

I don't know what your level of experience and knowledge is but with all due respect I think perhaps John Mortensen has a little bit more experience and knowledge about the music and the piano than you do? Or maybe not.

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Doug M.
Originally Posted by prout
In theory, you can get an infinite number of dynamic variations on an acoustic grand because it is an analogue device. I assume, on a DP, the maximum number of dynamic variations available, at this time, is limited by the midi range 0-127.

In the case of an acoustic, no reasonable pianist should care or be able to say - “I am now going to play at level 6.”

Besides, in standard classical music, there are only five normal dynamic levels - pp, p, mp, mf, f, ff.

I guess I should say six levels, including the best one - OFF.

I presume you're referring to controlling a VST. I'm not sure if hardware pianos like the Roland LX708 are limited to general midi velocity levels or if they have their own standard. Certainly they have general midi standard built in for the use of controlling a VST or as a midi controller; however, does that imply the instrument itself is limited to 128 levels?
No, it does not.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Michael P Walsh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIUXBhw-7Wo

Scroll to 7:30.

I too thought it would be infinite (or at least a huge amount) but when I tried the test I don't think I could differentiate more than 7 or 8. Then again I'm a beginner so it's not as though I have a lot of control. Just thought it was interesting.

I certainly can. This guy in video makes some very good points but at the same time very bad ones, tone/volume count is one of them. While practicing I often try to get that one level of tone I would really like and on good instrument you really can play with that. Another problem with the video is that he says speed is the only factor in playing, actually there is one more, hammer travel distance, if you won't hit key to the full stop for example the hammer will barely touch the strings, so with the same speed the strings will be affected a bit differently.

Roland LX708
C
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
C
Nordomus and DazedandConfused. I suggest you listen to a few more of John Mortensen's videos. You both may learn a lot.

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Colin Miles

So Mortenson might only have 10 discreet finger speeds at his disposal (poor guy) but even with those 10 he can produce 1000s of colours.

I don't know what your level of experience and knowledge is but with all due respect I think perhaps John Mortensen has a little bit more experience and knowledge about the music and the piano than you do? Or maybe not.
I wonder what Mortensen’s intent is? Is he saying, “I have defined the amplitudes of 10 discrete volume levels on an acoustic piano. Here is a chart showimg the ampltudes. I will now pick out of a hat a random number between 1 and 10, play that amplitude, record it, and you will see it matches the correct amplitude I defined.”

I take it his day job is a magician? Clearly not a pianist. Who has time for that s**t?

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Nordomus
Originally Posted by Michael P Walsh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIUXBhw-7Wo

Scroll to 7:30.

I too thought it would be infinite (or at least a huge amount) but when I tried the test I don't think I could differentiate more than 7 or 8. Then again I'm a beginner so it's not as though I have a lot of control. Just thought it was interesting.

I certainly can. This guy in video makes some very good points but at the same time very bad ones, tone/volume count is one of them. While practicing I often try to get that one level of tone I would really like and on good instrument you really can play with that. Another problem with the video is that he says speed is the only factor in playing, actually there is one more, hammer travel distance, if you won't hit key to the full stop for example the hammer will barely touch the strings, so with the same speed the strings will be affected a bit differently.
This is totally wrong - has been disproven by many published papers - and has been discussed many times at PW. I will now shout. Please forgive me.

THE VELOCITY OF THE HAMMER AT THE INSTANT IT STRIKES THE STRING IS THE SOLE DETERMINANT OF TONE, when all other variables - no use of sostenuto pedal, no previous notes still sounding, no repetition, no una corda are removed.

Last edited by prout; 10/18/18 12:26 PM.
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
OK. We've got 8 levels for one note. For example, we need to play 3 notes. How many combinations can be created? 7+8+7, 6+7+8, 8+8+8, 8+7+6 and so on and so on. It is only for the 3 notes. And how many notes are there in an everage piece of music? - yeah, that is why musical variety is endless even with this 8 levels.

Last edited by PianoStartsAt33; 10/18/18 12:35 PM.

If you wonder what may happen if you start learning piano as an adult (at the age of 33, for example) - subscribe my channel and let's find this out together:)
YoutubeChannel

Nord Piano 5

R
R
There is a saying "one note on the piano is no music".

It takes a lot of control to play a part in 10 clearly defined levels.
You don't necessarily have to be able to perform that.
But within your current playing, if you shape the music from tone to tone, you will have much finer differences in the levels.
You just can't get that steps without the context.

-rhodes74

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

All this reminds me of "Spinal Tap" --- Yeah, but it goes up to eleven..... ;-)

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
In Pianoteq, there is a "dynamics" setting from 0-100 dB. The standard modeled pianos are set around 40-50 dB. But personally, I enjoy playing the modeled pianos with the dynamics set to 100 dB. This gives me amazing colors and much better control at each level. Crescendos/descrescendos feel like they go forever.

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PianoStartsAt33
OK. We've got 8 levels for one note. For example, we need to play 3 notes. How many combinations can be created? 7+8+7, 6+7+8, 8+8+8, 8+7+6 and so on and so on. It is only for the 3 notes. And how many notes are there in an everage piece of music? - yeah, that is why musical variety is endless even with this 8 levels.

Yes, many sampled piano have recorded sound for each of the 88 notes multiplied by the number of layers and the combination of pedals (una corda, sustain). We can also have release samples and overtones (sympathetic resonance).

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
prout #2773632 10/18/18 01:29 PM
I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
The question really is how precise is the optical sensor (or many sensors) that detects a keystroke velocity on a given DP. I don't really know. I tend to think that the high-end DPs can detect all 128 dynamic levels supported by MIDI, but I'm not sure about low-end DPs. The only way to check it out is to record your playing in MIDI format on your DP and then to analyze MIDI file on a computer. If you see random key velocity values in 0-127 range, than full MIDI range sems to be supported, but if you see some quantization (like 4, 8, 12, 16, etc.) than probably the number of detectable dynamic levels is reduced on that DP.

How many dynamic levels are needed? Suppose you need to play a 4-octaves scale with crescendo. To play it with truely even crescendo you need 29 levels.

Besides I find very interesting what DazedAndConfused has said above:
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2773594/re-digital-dynamics.html#Post2773594

... in standard classical music, there are only five normal dynamic levels - pp, p, mp, mf, f, ff.
I guess I should say six levels, including the best one - OFF.

lol smile

prout #2773636 10/18/18 01:31 PM
D
D
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Most pianos only support seven-bit data over MIDI. So 127 is the limit.

How many layers do you need?
One is not enough. Nor two. Nor three.

+But how many are needed before ...
(a) you can't hear any difference when more layers are added
or
(b) when any shortcoming ascribed to layering diminishes, and the next greatest deficiency becomes primary?

The number is far less than 127. I think ten is enough. Beyond that it's just "bragging about size".

127 is the external limit for 8 bit MIDI. There is nothing to stop any manufacturer produce millions of discrete levels from the keyboard to feed the modelling engine and scale down to 0 - 127 for midi output.
Can you cite an example of a manufacturer that does this and indicates that in the specifications? It is a very good idea.

Yes. I seem to remember in the publicity blurb that PHA50 outputs at 16bit to the modelling engine. I'll see if I can find a link.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Analogue television had an 'infinite' number of levels - so did analogue audio tape if it comes to that, but their digital equivalents have a far greater resolution (or dynamic range). Perhaps it's similar with analogue and digital pianos. I shouldn't be at all surprised.

DPs, as long as they're worthy of the name, have plenty of dynamic range. The MIDI standard of 128 levels is more than enough. But there's nothing restricting internal sound engines to that specification anyway. I think the newer Roland pianos have over a thousand.

Last edited by toddy; 10/18/18 01:36 PM.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
toddy #2773645 10/18/18 01:59 PM
D
D
Originally Posted by toddy
Analogue television had an 'infinite' number of levels - so did analogue audio tape if it comes to that, but their digital equivalents have a far greater resolution (or dynamic range). Perhaps it's similar with analogue and digital pianos. I shouldn't be at all surprised.

DPs, as long as they're worthy of the name, have plenty of dynamic range. The MIDI standard of 128 levels is more than enough. But there's nothing restricting internal sound engines to that specification anyway. I think the newer Roland pianos have over a thousand.

8 bits is not good enough for classical piano in terms of either level or timing. I believe Yamaha use a much higher resolution for their ePiano Disklavier competitions for good reason. You can prove it yourself. Play a piece with plenty of rubato and record the audio out while recording midi data into a sequencer. Now run the midi data back to the piano and record the output. Compare the audio outputs they should be the same? They won't be. And one will sound weird and the other won't, just like every classical midi file.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Groove On
In Pianoteq, there is a "dynamics" setting from 0-100 dB. The standard modeled pianos are set around 40-50 dB. But personally, I enjoy playing the modeled pianos with the dynamics set to 100 dB. This gives me amazing colors and much better control at each level. Crescendos/descrescendos feel like they go forever.
Remember that dB is a ratio, so saying the Pianoteq has a dynamic range of 100dB is fine, but, relative to what baseline? Is the baseline is SPL (Sound Pressure Level), then the lowest level a human can hear is 0dB, but the noise level in an average home is about 50dB, so you need a minimum dynamic level on the piano to be heard above the noise.

The practical dynamic range of a full orchestra is 65dB - of a trumpet is 30dB - of a violin is 35dB.

The noise level of a baffled air exchange system in a concert hall is about 35-40 db.

Measuremens of live concerts in those halls show a dynamic range for a typical concert pianist of about 20dB.

Last edited by prout; 10/18/18 02:07 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Yes, see https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disklavier, the Disklavier pro has 1023 levels of velocity.

Note that resolution is not equal with precision. On a Disklavier the playback could induce a near linear transformation of velocity.

About the timing, it’s more complicated. A SMF file is not limited. The time is expressed with a fraction of a quarter note, and the fraction can be choosen on a DAW. We can see 1/480 or 1/960 of a quarter note. Then a SMF record (floppy, flash drive...) has a quite high limit. On a MIDI cable, a single event needs around 1ms... and 2ms if you use an enhanced resolution. If you play a very synchronised chord, each notes will be sent one per 1ms or 2ms.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
prout #2773651 10/18/18 02:35 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Thank you for making this point.
Remember that dB is a ratio, so saying the Pianoteq has a dynamic range of 100dB is fine, but, relative to what baseline? ...
The practical dynamic range of a full orchestra is 65dB - of a trumpet is 30dB - of a violin is 35dB ...
Measurements of live concerts in those halls show a dynamic range for a typical concert pianist of about 20dB.
And I'd like to add ...
Pay attention to the sound, not to the specs.
Sound makes art. Specs do not.

toddy #2773654 10/18/18 03:01 PM
D
D

I cannot find a link right now, it might have been a video where I learned this, but millions is more accurate. There were 16,000 internal levels during the SUPERNATURAL sample + modelling days.

Previously, playback of different samples provided the basis for electronic pianos, in combination with using a computer algorithm to adjust the pitches for the notes between the samples. The SuperNATURAL engine differed by utilising a separate set of samples for every key and a dynamic algorithm that offered 16,000 different levels for each note – delivering an incredibly smooth response (most other keyboards had a maximum of 128 levels per key).

https://www.rolandcorp.com.au/blog/magic-touch-brief-history-rd-series

toddy #2773685 10/18/18 05:11 PM
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Analogue television had an 'infinite' number of levels - so did analogue audio tape if it comes to that, but their digital equivalents have a far greater resolution (or dynamic range). Perhaps it's similar with analogue and digital pianos. I shouldn't be at all surprised..

Um... not quite. Analog TV eventually runs into discrete photons and electrons. For digital cameras, there's a limit to the number of photons that it takes to saturate a photosite. According to Grass Valley, it's about 15,000. That means that a 14 bit number would be sufficient to count them. Of course real world equipment can't actually count them....

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission