2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
54 members (brennbaer, anotherscott, accordeur, brdwyguy, aidans, Alex Hutor, 14 invisible), 545 guests, and 623 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
[Linked Image]

Hi Piano World. This is Keunyoung Song from South Korea I really want to share my thoughts about piano VSTs I'm using. Currently, I use more than 20 piano VSTs and let me share you one by one.

Today I want to review and share my thoughts about Spectrasonics Keyscape which is one of my favorite piano VST now.

In sample video, I played my own song "You are special" which is the title song of my 2nd piano album "You are special" and this song is dedicated to my wife. Through this song, I really wanted to express my gratitude for her unconditional devotion to me and my daughter.

I played the song with “C7 LA Custom - Softest” preset. I didn’t maneuver any knobs and it is just the preset sound. And let me make clear this first. When people talk about Keyscape, they usually refer to YAMAHA C7 LA custom piano. Of course, there are more than 30 keyboards available in this collection, but the biggest attention in this collection is always the sampled YAMAHA C7 piano.

I can surely say that Keyscape has the best sampled YAMAHA C7 library in the market so far. Comparing it with Ivory 2 Grand Pianos’ C7 piano, Keyscape far exceeds Ivory’s by overall quality and sound. Also comparing it with a monster piano VST Production Voices' Production Grand 2, I still prefer Keyscape's library.

I don’t know if this can mix through well in a band or an orchestra section, but when you come up with only piano solo performance, it is just awesome. There are many pros to Keyscape such as realistic sound and the depth of the sound & ambient. But the only con I think is that it consumes your CPU and RAM unbelievably a lot. Using SSD and high-end PC is must when you consider buying this. When you play it live with just a decent laptop, you may not able to play it properly since it may pop and click occasionally reaching your CPU usage 100%. I highly recommend you to have more than 16 GB of RAM and SSD and i7 CPU. But despite the heavy running, I bet you will have one of the best sampled YAMAHA C7 sound as a reward.

Please feel free to leave some comments for more talk!

Last edited by Keunyoung Song; 09/16/18 04:00 PM.

This is pianist Keunyoung Song.
For more videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/davidksong
For more reviews: https://www.pianistkeunyoungsong.com/
Now available on Apple Music/iTunes & Spotify
For more talk: david.keunyoung.song@gmail.com
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
The web site shows 36 instruments in the set.:
LA Custom C7 Grand Piano . . .Hohner Pianet M . . . .Vintage Vibe Vibanet . . . . . Toy Piano Saucer Bell
Wing Upright Piano . . . . . .Hohner Pianet N . . . .Clavichord . . . . . . . . . . Harmochord
Wing Tack Piano . . . . . . . Hohner Pianet T . . . .Dolceola . . . . . . . . . . . Rhodes Piano Bass
Rhodes Classic Mark I . . . . Weltmeister Claviset . Electric Harpsichord . . . . . Vintage Vibe Tine Bass
Rhodes LA Custom "E" . . . . .Celeste . . . . . . . .Mini Student Butterfly Piano . Weltmeister Basset 1
Vintage Vibe Electric Piano . Chimeatron . . . . . . Rhodes 1946 Pre-Piano . . . . .Weltmeister Basset 2
Wurlitzer 140B . . . . . . . .Dulcitone . . . . . . .Toy Piano Classic . . . . . . .MKS-20 Digital Piano
Wurlitzer 200A . . . . . . . .Clavinet C . . . . . . Toy Piano Glock . . . . . . . .MK-80 Digital Rhodes
Electric Grand CP-70 . . . . .Clavinet-Pianet Duo . .Toy Piano Grand . . . . . . . .JD-800 Crystal Rhodes

The only one I might want is the Yamaha C7.
Can you buy just the C7? Or do have get the full set?
If it's the latter ... then $379 for the set is too much for just one piano.

B
B
Nope, you have to buy the entire bundle to get the C7. Too bad they don't offer it as a standalone.

OP Offline
Yeah. It's sad that we need to buy the whole bundle. Hope they would offer individual instruments.

C
C
Keyscape sampled better than Production Voices? Yeah No, not by a long shot. And using up CPU/RAM? Eh, no... but looks like a laptop is being used... I abandoned that a while ago... just desktop now. I'd add the presets are slightly better than PV and it runs in its own environment.

OP Offline
I use both of the products mentioned, Keyscape and PV Production Grand 2 Gold. Of course, both of them sampled YAMAHA C7 but its characteristics differ a lot in terms of sound and overall feel. PV basically expresses acoustic feels, however, Keyscape sounds more round and deeper so that normally suitable for pop music.
About the CPU for Keyscape, my Keyscape is being run on my 2015 Lenovo laptop with SSD, but I guess I'm not the only one who has the CPU peak issue regardless of the PC or Mac environment. Even new Mac book users experience the same problem too.
Bottom line, both are great C7 samples laugh

R
R
Originally Posted by Keunyoung Song
I use both of the products mentioned, Keyscape and PV Production Grand 2 Gold. Of course, both of them sampled YAMAHA C7 but its characteristics differ a lot in terms of sound and overall feel. PV basically expresses acoustic feels, however, Keyscape sounds more round and deeper so that normally suitable for pop music.
About the CPU for Keyscape, my Keyscape is being run on my 2015 Lenovo laptop with SSD, but I guess I'm not the only one who has the CPU peak issue regardless of the PC or Mac environment. Even new Mac book users experience the same problem too.

No need to be diplomatic:)

You are right, Keyscape C7 is great. What people don't know is that it actually has 32 velocity layers.

And regarding Production Grand C7, it doesn't sound too good to my ears hence its shortcomings get exposed when listened to on a good audio monitoring system. There are other C7s that sound better, like AcousticSamples C7 and Sampletekk TVBO.

OP Offline
My
Originally Posted by tdwctdwc

You are right, Keyscape C7 is great. What people don't know is that it actually has 32 velocity layers.

And regarding Production Grand C7, it doesn't sound too good to my ears hence its shortcomings get exposed when listened to on a good audio monitoring system. There are other C7s that sound better, like AcousticSamples C7 and Sampletekk TVBO.

My another favorite C7 sample is Pearl Concert Grand from Impact soundworks. It just sounds really natural to my ears.

Have you used AcousticSamples C7? Because I am considering buying it laugh

R
R
My
Originally Posted by tdwctdwc

My another favorite C7 sample is Pearl Concert Grand from Impact soundworks. It just sounds really natural to my ears.

Have you used AcousticSamples C7? Because I am considering buying it laugh

Yes i own it, it’s very good. The velocity layers are not fixed in it across all registers , they sum up to around 10 in total, but it’s very playable and sounds great. You just need to adjust the velocity sensitivity before playing it, as the default settings are not really optimized for very dynamic playing. Sound wise, it’s one of the best.

OP Offline
Have you used AcousticSamples C7? Because I am considering buying it laugh[/quote]
Yes i own it, it’s very good. The velocity layers are not fixed in it across all registers , they sum up to around 10 in total, but it’s very playable and sounds great. You just need to adjust the velocity sensitivity before playing it, as the default settings are not really optimized for very dynamic playing. Sound wise, it’s one of the best.
[/quote]

Wow, thank you so much for the practical tip. I will definitely put this VST in my Black Friday list this year.
Last month, I purchased Synthogy Ivory 2 Studio Grands which is the latest product from Ivory 2 line, but it sounds needlessly too warm&muddy and feels like I'm playing a Felt piano despite it has 24 velocity layers.
It would be very helpful if you have any good idea how to make the sound better for this product(such as velocity curve adjustment or else) if you own this. laugh

Last edited by Keunyoung Song; 09/18/18 06:06 AM.

R
R

Wow, thank you so much for the practical tip. I will definitely put this VST in my Black Friday list this year.
Last month, I purchased Synthogy Ivory 2 Studio Grands which is the latest product from Ivory 2 line, but it sounds needlessly too warm&muddy and feels like I'm playing a Felt piano despite it has 24 velocity layers.
It would be very helpful if you have any good idea how to make the sound better for this product(such as velocity curve adjustment or else) if you own this. laugh

I owned the Studio Grands for one day, returned them the next day and asked for refund ( which i received thanks to Sweetwater's good people).

Last edited by tdwctdwc; 09/18/18 09:05 AM.
H
Hr. Offline
H
Hi .. my setup is like yours .. Lenovo Yoga with 256 GB SSD disk, 8GB RAM and i7(2.7GHZ) .. connecting with Focusrite Clarett 2Pre USB (tried with Steinberg UR22 which didn't work well).
According to specifikations for Keyscape this should work fine, but it's not. Too much popping of the sound when playing. I tried thinning, reducing notes .. did you try with more RAM or will a faster CPU be a better option?

I like the electric piano's on Keyscape, but the C7 is the main reason for using it.

D
D
I have mixed feelings about Keyscape C7. It sounds good for most of its range, but it does sound a bit sterile. It's missing sympathetic string resonance and can seem lifeless. The sustain pedal samples just don't have the harmonic rich ring were used to. Also, I can't remember the exact notes, but I believe it's several notes around B1 which the overtones are so loud it almost overtakes the fundamental. If you mention this issue to Spectrasonics you'll get a well written reply [copy/paste] why these exist in all pianos. I certainly don't disagree, it's just that these are over the top and just sound bad, Period! Having said that, I do like the classic Rhodes and of course love Omnispehere 2.5! [As with everyone else]. I have a lot of respect for Spectrasonics. I hope their next attempt blows away Keyscape.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
"B1" is ambiguous - there are multiple octave numbering schemes. How would you refer to middle C, using whatever scheme you have chosen?

Re the harmonics - are you able to upload a demo?

Greg

D
D
Originally Posted by sullivang
"B1" is ambiguous - there are multiple octave numbering schemes. How would you refer to middle C, using whatever scheme you have chosen?

Re the harmonics - are you able to upload a demo?

Greg

If you own Keyscape, this would not be a question. I won't post, but it won't take you long to find someone elses post:

https://vi-control.net/community/threads/spectrasonics-keyscape-anyone.55824/page-8

It's not subtle.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Thanks. Took a quick listen to the recording in that link - sounds like a very natural resonance to me. No wonder DP manufacturers are so reluctant to give us raw samples! 😉

Greg.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Hands-on NV5, CA99, K200 ATX3, and NU1x.
by total_beginner - 05/08/21 05:49 PM
upload image not working
by wouter79 - 05/08/21 05:38 PM
bouncing keys and hammers
by chopin_r_us - 05/08/21 02:41 PM
To change from Yamaha, Casio, Roland, Kawai, Korg etc...
by playplayplay - 05/08/21 02:16 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,801
Posts3,091,283
Members101,454
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission