2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (HZPiano, admodios, johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, 7 invisible), 1,274 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
When I bought my previous piano, I also invested in an adjustable bench. It was the poofy padded kind that has "tufted buttons" to hold in the poof, like this bench (this is just a random bench on the Net - not the bench in question)
http://tomleemusic.ca/116903
It had only two buttons.

After 3 or so years, one day I felt a sharp stab as I sat down. The button had come off, and a pointy wire thing it was attached to was sticking up. I had to stop using it and it's been sitting in a corner. Since that time, cracks have appeared along the material (faux leather?) - three or four long cracks, including along the other button.

I've been using the non-adjustable bench that came with the first piano. I want to get a new adjustable bench. How do I avoid getting something that will start sprouting cracks and popping buttons? Is this common or uncommon. Anything else to watch for?

The bench was bought at Yamaha, if this makes any difference.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I have a couple of benches - a non-adjustable one that came with my digital piano about 8 years ago and an adjustable one I bought earlier this year.

The non-adjustable bench had two buttons and a bit of poof, so maybe it was similar to yours. The bench itself looked sturdy but the faux leather padding looked cheap so I wasn’t surprised when the buttons started getting loose not too long after. Fortunately the buttons were only held with string so I don’t have anything stabbing me.

To avoid having to deal with loose buttons, for my second (height-adjustable) bench I opted for one without buttons altogether. It’s flat with light padding so it’s not as comfortable on the bottom as the other one, but I’m satisfied for the price I paid for it.

Working on: Schumann Album for the Young, Clementi Op 36 No. 1 (all movements), Various Bach, Czerny 599
+ CASIO PX-720 and PX-730 +
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I bought the following a few years ago and had a similar issue after a couple of years worth of use. The buttons would dig into me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DATG1Q

I've been using the bench that came with the Yamaha N2 now. The model/part number is BC-200PE. The link below has a picture of it. Mine doesn't have the Yamaha decals on it though, but it has the same pull out top so that you can store some stuff in it. I really like this bench.

https://carlingfordmusic.com.au/yamaha-bc200pe-piano-bench

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
I bought the Jansen Duet artist bench. It is pricey at over $900. The single bench is about $700. I just like a bench with more room. I practice a lot and for that reason I thought it was worth it. What a difference it made. I had used the one that came with my piano for years. I purchased these last year. It will be my lifetime piano bench. I understand these benches last a long time. I purchased it from the company below and did not have any issues. Actually, I bought two, one for each piano.

http://www.jansenpianobenches.com/duetartistbenches.html

Deb
"A goal properly set is halfway reached." Zig Ziglar
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Note to self: Must refrain from plugging the Andexinger Lift-o-matic again. Have done this too often already here on the forum and am still not getting any kickbacks from them... wink

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JoBert
Note to self: Must refrain from plugging the Andexinger Lift-o-matic again. Have done this too often already here on the forum and am still not getting any kickbacks from them... wink

thumb

[Linked Image]
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
As with many items that are marketed these days, quality more often than not is linked to price. The cheaper the bench, the more likely one is to have some kind of structural problems with it sooner or later. Like the above poster's, mine is a Jansen bench, working sturdily for nigh on 11 years now with not a single problem, so far. Jansen benches, as observed, are not inexpensive, however.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
P
P
I have this Jansen bench that is very nice but also more affordable than the Artist Bench at $350...

Jansen Concert Adjustable Bench

Last edited by Patrick Cox; 09/02/18 04:12 PM.
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Just replace the covering material on the adjustable bench you already have. My wife and I did that about three years ago. We replaced the padding with a 3” thick slab of foam and used an upholstery material for the cover. It cost under $15 and took us about an hour. Sooooo comfortable. Here is a picture.

[Linked Image]

T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
During a vigorous improvisation I broke the legs off the original seat which came with the piano and hit the floor. I thought a posh, adjustable one would be nice but I couldn’t stop it making noises during recording. So a few years ago I bought a cheap-as-chips, plain, hard wooden one. It is excellent. Visitors probably think it looks grotty and out of place but appearances neither concern nor interest me.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
If appearances aren't your main concern then I find if you're on a budget, an X-bench is a lot better value.

I got this one, and am very pleased with it for the price.

X Bench

Sure, it doesn't look much but it is nicely adjustable, very comfortable, and very robust.

M
Silver Subscriber
Silver Subscriber
M
I purchased a Jansen bench as well, the single artist bench. It is pricy but the fact you never heard a noise from it is priceless. I have a lower cost bench from Amazon, which needs to be tightened once in a while but it is now on my digital which is lightly used for scales, arpeggios, and music theory lessons now.

Mike

Acoustic: Cunningham Parlour Grand
Digital: Kawai ES-8 / Pianoteq 6

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Wore out my old bench, in pretty much the same way. I had a chance to try a chair last summer at piano camp, so I replaced my bench with one of these:

piano chair

[Linked Image]

So far, so good. Its heavy, solid, and adjustable in increments (not continuous). The seat is padded, but definitely firm. I feel it after a couple of hours! I might add a pillow at some point. But there are no buttons to come loose. It does not move when I play. I think it will last longer than I will...

I like it...

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
I have a plain piano bench, without padding, but considered adding some padding and leather material to it. DIY project. I had forgoten about it though, until now. Has anyone done this?

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Originally Posted by Sam S
Wore out my old bench, in pretty much the same way. I had a chance to try a chair last summer at piano camp, so I replaced my bench with one of these:

piano chair

[Linked Image]

So far, so good. Its heavy, solid, and adjustable in increments (not continuous). The seat is padded, but definitely firm. I feel it after a couple of hours! I might add a pillow at some point. But there are no buttons to come loose. It does not move when I play. I think it will last longer than I will...

I like it...

Sam

The arms are missing, with the wires attached to them . . . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I use the throne (bench) of my drum set. It's got thick padding for my tushy as well as a backrest for resting and relaxing between playing sessions. It also swivels left to right to make reaching the upper and lower registers effortless. It's height is easily adjustable and can be easily moved around with one hand.

I've tried many different benches in the past but it's the drum seat throne that is far more comfortable (padding, backrest) and easier to use (adjustable height, swivel) than anything else I've ever tried.

Hello,

after my first adjustable bench went out of service (its false leather cracked and the bench itself became unstable), two years ago I bought an Andexinger Ergo piano bench. It's pricy but it's so comfortable!

Andexinger Ergo

Schimmel 130T / Viscount Cantorum Trio / Viscount Legend '70 Artist W / Dexibell VIVO P3 / Behringer 2600 / Polyend Tracker / ASM Hydrasynth Explorer
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by mr_super-hunky
I use the throne (bench) of my drum set. It's got thick padding for my tushy as well as a backrest for resting and relaxing between playing sessions. It also swivels left to right to make reaching the upper and lower registers effortless. It's height is easily adjustable and can be easily moved around with one hand.

I've tried many different benches in the past but it's the drum seat throne that is far more comfortable (padding, backrest) and easier to use (adjustable height, swivel) than anything else I've ever tried.

Many pianists instructed in correct posture at the piano would find a throne seat incompatible with piano playing. A pianist should sit on the front third of the bench so that back and arm weight, as the pianist leans forward, can be easily transmitted to the keyboard. Sitting fully on a throne seat would compromise this need, and sitting on the front edge sounds perilous to me. The back rest is not a function that pianists would ever use.

Moreover, I think that many pianists would find the swivel factor a huge distraction rather than a convenience. As the body weight shifts slightly when one moves one's left supporting foot from the floor to the una corda pedal the seat is bound to swivel; that could provide unexpected and undesired results.

However, if it works for some ....

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
As with many items that are marketed these days, quality more often than not is linked to price. The cheaper the bench, the more likely one is to have some kind of structural problems with it sooner or later. Like the above poster's, mine is a Jansen bench, working sturdily for nigh on 11 years now with not a single problem, so far. Jansen benches, as observed, are not inexpensive, however.

As my dad would have said, "Buy the best and cry once."

Learner
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
I have a Jansen bench that was included with my pre-owned piano purchase. When delivered by the piano moving company, it was missing a knob, which I could easily replace through the Jansen website. A benefit of buying Jansen.

Although older than dirt, it is in great condition, and is comfortable

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission