2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 9 invisible), 1,790 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
S
S
Originally Posted by halherta

One is most likely better than the other...maybe not by much. They both are in the same category of portable digtal pianos i.e. ES-8, P515, FP-90 e.t.c. But one will likely be better. If that wasn't the case we'd all just go buy cheap casio keyboards and call it a day.

Sam Ash sells the 515 for $1500, the FP90 for $1800 and the ES8 for $2000. On paper, at least, the 515 promises to be of comparable quality to the other two. Will be interesting to see if Roland and Kawai respond with newer models in that category, or if they just drop the price of the current models.

Last edited by Steve.L; 08/24/18 03:04 PM.
Tyr Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jitin
The thing that no one commented on is which is better sound, I seen lot of videos on fp90, and sometimes I think the new Roland sound sucks , then some videos I’m not so sure, I actually kinda like it, especially when in a video they changed parameters in piano technician,

This happens to me for the Novus. Every time i see a video about it, the sound is phenomenal. If i sit down at my own, i sounds different and not like in the video. Regardless of speakers or headphones.

Kawai: NV5 | Yamaha: CLP-745R
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Model D - AG | Minigrand | The Oeser
One is most likely better than the other...maybe not by much. They both are in the same category of portable digtal pianos i.e. ES-8, P515, FP-90 e.t.c. But one will likely be better. If that wasn't the case we'd all just go buy cheap casio keyboards and call it a day.

why would we all buy a cheap casio for the action, instead of the brand with an action we preferred over the casio?
individual preference for one action over another, does not make it definitely the best.

you can certainly get actions lighter than the roland pha50, if that is what interests you.

.... Jeff ▫️ Yamaha P515 ▫️ Roll Tide
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
I just checked out Musician’s Friend and the shipping date for the black model is 10/26/18, and for the white 11/30/18. Other sites only say ‘shipping soon.’

H
H
Originally Posted by Jefsco

why would we all buy a cheap casio for the action, instead of the brand with an action we preferred over the casio?
individual preference for one action over another, does not make it definitely the best.

you can certainly get actions lighter than the roland pha50, if that is what interests you.

So there is a better piano then! And yes it can be different for different people. That doesn't mean that people aren't allowed to say Product A is better than Product B simply because it offends your sensibility.

I actually was leaning towards the Yamaha because of the better bang for buck, brand name & high level of quality control. But yeah I'm sorry. From now on I won't express my opinion on the internet without consulting with you first.

Yamaha P-125, Pianoteq 6, Ravenscroft 275 VST, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
So there is a better piano then! And yes it can be different for different people. That doesn't mean that people aren't allowed to say Product A is better than Product B simply because it offends your sensibility.
I actually was leaning towards the Yamaha because of the better bang for buck, brand name & high level of quality control. But yeah I'm sorry. From now on I won't express my opinion on the internet without consulting with you first.

obviously you can state your opinion for preference.
that is not the same as stating that one product is better than the other.

H
H

obviously you can state your opinion for preference.
that is not the same as stating that one product is better than the other.

On this forum...it goes without saying. Literally every other post someone is saying product A is better than Product B. Some give the "this is a opinion" disclaimer others don't. I don't see the problem here.

On this forum...it goes without saying. Literally every other post someone is saying product A is better than Product B. Some give the "this is a opinion" disclaimer others don't. I don't see the problem here.

i will have to agree to disagree.
we are here to learn.
stating opinion as fact misleads others.

A
A
From the reviews and youtube videos that I've seen so far, the FP-90 has better (if not by much) action and larger speakers. It also weighs a bit more 48lbs P515 vs 52lbs FP-90. But the P515 is like $1899 CAD and the FP-90 is $2699 CAD. That's a difference of about $800 CAD. In the US its $1499USD vs 1899USD so difference is 400USD. I think yamaha intentionally wanted to build something that in the same category/class as the FP-90 but at a lower cost.

And I think that they will very likely mightily succeed. From what I've seen so far, if the price differential was only a couple of hundred dollars, I'd definitely opt for the FP-90. But at a price differential of $800 CAD I'd go for the Yamaha.

One thing I have noticed on here is that certian brands cost more in various countries. Here the FP90 and P515 and ES8 are moreorless the same price (The ES8 is around £100 cheaper).

Last edited by ahumdrumoflife; 08/24/18 07:53 PM.
S
S
Originally Posted by ahumdrumoflife
One thing I have noticed on here is that certian brands cost more in various countries. Here the FP90 and P515 and ES8 are moreorless the same price (The ES8 is around £100 cheaper).
So the ES8 is a comparative bargain in your country! Here in the US, it's 33% more than the P515 and 11% more than the FP90.

H
H

i will have to agree to disagree.
we are here to learn.
stating opinion as fact misleads others.

Yeah let's agree to disagree. And yes the FP-90 is better than the P-515. Oh and by the way its not my opinion. It is a fact.

If a person is foolish enough to buy a $1500-$3000+ musical instrument based on some random dude's post on a forum on the internet and ends up not liking the piano and feeling mislead, they only have themselves to blame.

Yeah let's agree to disagree. And yes the FP-90 is better than the P-515. Oh and by the way its not my opinion. It is a fact.
If a person is foolish enough to buy a $1500-$3000+ musical instrument based on some random dude's post on a forum on the internet and ends up not liking the piano and feeling mislead, they only have themselves to blame.

wow! i certainly appreciate the roland fp90.
have not had a chance to demo the yamaha p515.

glad we could agree on something! thumb

H
H
If anyone is interested...In Canada:
- Kawai ES-8 costs $2300CAD approx $1,763.73USD
- Roland FP-90 costs $2700CAD approx $2,070.47USD
- Yamaha P-515 costs $1900CAD approx $1,457.00USD

There's approx $613USD spread between the FP-90 and the P515.

hey! nice halherta!
good disclaimer for your posts. thumb

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
I now see a shipping date of 12\7\18 for the P515 at Guitar Center. What happened to September?

Originally Posted by Pete14
I now see a shipping date of 12\7\18 for the P515 at Guitar Center. What happened to September?

yamaha has been stating they would ship in september....
maybe these sites are taking presales into consideration and showing first availables!?

T
T
Yesterday went by a music store and there were 3 brands on display: Casio, Kawai & Roland. After trying a few models found the Roland FP30 an affordable alternative to the FP90. The DP30 is more portable although may not have all the features of a FP90. Like the textured keys that has the feel of real ivory.

Personally prefer the Yamaha sound to the Roland with the Supernatural sound engine. It's not always possible to compare a Roland to a Yamaha in a store since the ones that are authorized dealer of 1 brand doesn't usually carry the other. A while ago Roland used to be considered higher-end DPs with a more expensive price. Many Yamaha dealers also to carry Korg at the lower price range.

H
H
Originally Posted by Pete14

yamaha has been stating they would ship in september....
maybe these sites are taking presales into consideration and showing first availables!?

I wouldn't be surprise if they push their release date by a month or two. They'll definitely have them in stores before Christmas. Shame though as it would delay the possibility of me purchasing one.

G
G
I'll do you one better in deciding.

I've owned the FP 90 for about a year before ditching it for a Yamaha p255. In terms of sound, the p255 is gorgeous. The FP 90 just doesn't have it in the modelling. It's a caricature of the real thing.

I've no interest in jumping 'up' to the p515 for the foreseeable future. Going to run the p255 into the ground first.

Kawai ES8 is a much inferior sound and then you've the clicking keys problem which is abysmal.

Yamaha p255 is the best portable dp on the market.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P515 seems like a great piano for the price. If I was to upgrade my ES7 I would seriously consider it. The user manual is available for download. I’m wondering if NWX is triple sensor though?

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission