2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
49 members (anotherscott, Carey, astrotoy, Bruce In Philly, antune, andrea monza, 12 invisible), 979 guests, and 524 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2754289 07/28/18 08:23 AM
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,542
P
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,542
Some people might be interested in this recent Yuja Wang interview:



But listen to how smooth her playing is, how natural free and easy, like ice calving from a glacier; precise like an AC power grid.


Poetry is rhythm
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 887
D
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 887
Having missed Horowitz, Rubenstien, etc, she's the greatest phenomenon I've ever seen in classical music. I sat on the stage for a recent Carnegie recital and ended up kind of nauceous haha. Total sensory overload. god bless her, long life!

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 204
K
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
K
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 204
I have great respect for Yuja and have many fine cds of hers. She's certainly highly respected in the musical world but I suspect if she was say an Eastern European man she would have a much greater following. The fact that she is Asian sadly for some discounts her talent with immediate bias. I don't want to open a can of worms here but let's be honest. There's also another pianist I follow who is also a phenomenom. Her name is HJ Lim and has quite a number of recordings on youtube. She's Korean and ironically the same age of Yuja.

Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 832
Z
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
Z
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 832
Originally Posted by kbrod1
I suspect if she was say an Eastern European man she would have a much greater following. The fact that she is Asian sadly for some discounts her talent with immediate bias.


Could you explain your thinking behind this?

Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 3,487
3000 Post Club Member
Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 3,487
Interesting, short interview. She really is talented.



[Linked Image]
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 204
K
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
K
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 204
Many people have a preconceived perception of Asian pianists. They will assume that they have a good technique but limited musicianship and will play mechanically. If an Eastern European male had her technique and style people would be raving left and right. Since I'm a physician, years ago the CEO of the hospital asked me to interview a female orthopedist. Right of the back, I told him that she has to be good because it's an old boy's club and she would have to be significantly better than her peers to get into that residency.

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 25,161
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 25,161
Originally Posted by kbrod1
Many people have a preconceived perception of Asian pianists. They will assume that they have a good technique but limited musicianship and will play mechanically. If an Eastern European male had her technique and style people would be raving left and right. Since I'm a physician, years ago the CEO of the hospital asked me to interview a female orthopedist.


As you wrote: "... many years ago..." Times are changing; times have changed. I see many more women in all the sciences now that there were "many years ago."

Originally Posted by kbrod1
Right of the back, I told him that she has to be good because it's an old boy's club and she would have to be significantly better than her peers to get into that residency.


If you don't mind my saying so, the expression is: "right off the bat."

Regards


BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 204
K
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
K
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 204
You are correct times have changed but sadly a certain percentage of the masses have retained biased views and we can see many have been emboldened by certain leadership and I leave it at that. Yes, I'm familiar with the expression but my phone is not. I typed quickly in the parking lot and later on when I read it I noticed several errors including of instead of off but figured people would understand.

Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 962
N
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
N
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 962
Originally Posted by phantomFive
Some people might be interested in this recent Yuja Wang interview:
But listen to how smooth her playing is, how natural free and easy, like ice calving from a glacier; precise like an AC power grid.


OT: when looking up "ice calving", I chanced upon the following documentary .. (I think Yuja wouldn't mind :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsEcP2qz5iA

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 215
A
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
A
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 215
Maybe I am the minority but I am not really too impressed with her playing because her performances to me felt unconvincing and hollow. Her technique is great but there is something lacking to me. Today's audience seems to be all dazzled with pianists with great techniques and want the most difficult pieces performed...

Granted she is still very young, so she may mature into a more refined pianist later.

Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 1,127
C
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 1,127
Originally Posted by allegro_concerto
Maybe I am the minority but I am not really too impressed with her playing because her performances to me felt unconvincing and hollow. Her technique is great but there is something lacking to me. Today's audience seems to be all dazzled with pianists with great techniques and want the most difficult pieces performed...

Granted she is still very young, so she may mature into a more refined pianist later.


Not listened to her but have the same thoughts about Chenyin Li who does the pianist mag CD's. Certainly aiming for the technique!


Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,542
P
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,542
Originally Posted by newport
Originally Posted by phantomFive
Some people might be interested in this recent Yuja Wang interview:
But listen to how smooth her playing is, how natural free and easy, like ice calving from a glacier; precise like an AC power grid.


OT: when looking up "ice calving", I chanced upon the following documentary .. (I think Yuja wouldn't mind :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsEcP2qz5iA


I was trying to think of an appropriate metaphor, since "smooth as butter with a hot knife" is taken. "Smooth as Ella Fitzgerald" seems clichéd (but true). So the next thing I came up with was "smooth as ice down a raingutter" but as much as I thought of it, I couldn't imagine how anything would travel smoothly down a raingutter. Finally I came to ice calving, as pictorial though not quite clear.


Poetry is rhythm
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 25,161
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 25,161
Originally Posted by phantomFive
[...]
I was trying to think of an appropriate metaphor, since "smooth as butter with a hot knife" is taken. "Smooth as Ella Fitzgerald" seems clichéd (but true). So the next thing I came up with was "smooth as ice down a raingutter" but as much as I thought of it, I couldn't imagine how anything would travel smoothly down a raingutter. Finally I came to ice calving, as pictorial though not quite clear.


OK; I'm being pedantic, but your examples are similes, not metaphors.

I wouldn't think ice would ever travel smoothly, and would it not likely be blocked in a rain gutter? Rain or water would travel smoothly along a rain gutter, wouldn't it?

Regards,


BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 25,161
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 25,161
Originally Posted by BruceD
[quote=phantomFive][...]
[...]OK; I'm being pedantic, but your examples are similes, not metaphors.

I wouldn't think ice would ever travel smoothly, and would it not likely be blocked in a rain gutter? Rain or water would travel smoothly along a rain gutter, wouldn't it?

Regards,


In retrospect, I realize that that was not a very friendly post. My apologies.

Regards,


BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,542
P
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,542
Originally Posted by BruceD
Originally Posted by phantomFive
[...]
I was trying to think of an appropriate metaphor, since "smooth as butter with a hot knife" is taken. "Smooth as Ella Fitzgerald" seems clichéd (but true). So the next thing I came up with was "smooth as ice down a raingutter" but as much as I thought of it, I couldn't imagine how anything would travel smoothly down a raingutter. Finally I came to ice calving, as pictorial though not quite clear.


OK; I'm being pedantic, but your examples are similes, not metaphors.


You're wrong, a simile is not just like a metaphor, it is a subtype of metaphor. Also it's a more colorful word. If you're being pedantic.

This frequency graph of the word 'simile' as used over time might be interesting.


Poetry is rhythm
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,542
P
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,542
Originally Posted by BruceD
Rain or water would travel smoothly along a rain gutter, wouldn't it?

Regards,

I'm not seeing it. A raingutter has all kinds of bumps and stuff. More like rapids than the blue Danube.


Poetry is rhythm
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 832
Z
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
Z
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 832
Originally Posted by kbrod1
Many people have a preconceived perception of Asian pianists. They will assume that they have a good technique but limited musicianship and will play mechanically. If an Eastern European male had her technique and style people would be raving left and right. Since I'm a physician, years ago the CEO of the hospital asked me to interview a female orthopedist. Right of the back, I told him that she has to be good because it's an old boy's club and she would have to be significantly better than her peers to get into that residency.


Well, Lang Lang didn't do much to improve this with his bombastic facial expressions, however I do know what you mean.

This will change though in time. People have preconceptions and stereotypes, and in this case, probably founded on something, like originally the Asians did chug out technique above musicianship, but that's changing, give it time. Yuja Wang will do her part in changing this.

Society changes slowly like that.

Also, how did this thread get from talking about the lovely Yuja Wang to talking about the intricacies of guttering?



Joined: May 2001
Posts: 25,161
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 25,161
Originally Posted by phantomFive
[...]
You're wrong, a simile is not just like a metaphor, it is a subtype of metaphor. Also it's a more colorful word. If you're being pedantic.

This frequency graph of the word 'simile' as used over time might be interesting.


In grammar: Both similes and metaphors are literary techniques used to compare two different things; however, they do so differently.

A simile is a comparison that uses "like" or "as" in the comparison. "As nutty as a fruitcake." "Her teeth are like pearls."

A metaphor is a comparison that says something is something else. "You are the light of my life." "Your words are pearls of wisdom."

Regards,


BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 14,624
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 14,624
Originally Posted by Zaphod
Originally Posted by kbrod1
Many people have a preconceived perception of Asian pianists. They will assume that they have a good technique but limited musicianship and will play mechanically. If an Eastern European male had her technique and style people would be raving left and right. Since I'm a physician, years ago the CEO of the hospital asked me to interview a female orthopedist. Right of the back, I told him that she has to be good because it's an old boy's club and she would have to be significantly better than her peers to get into that residency.


Well, Lang Lang didn't do much to improve this with his bombastic facial expressions, however I do know what you mean.


Lang Lang plays mechanically? I'd have thought his detractors would say he's OTT in his overtly emotional/expressive interpretations (and I'm not talking about his facial or body movements).

As for Yuja Wang, I never thought her playing had much personality. A lot of brilliance and fire, yes, but so do many other pianists (listen to her Rachmaninoff concertos, for instance). And I'm afraid she lost a lot of my respect when she poked fun at her colleagues (including Lang Lang, if I'm not mistaken) in one of her YT videos, which I thought displayed immaturity unworthy of a famous musician.

Whatever you might say about Lang Lang, he never disses other musicians publicly.


"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 832
Z
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
Z
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 832
Originally Posted by bennevis

Lang Lang plays mechanically? I'd have thought his detractors would say he's OTT in his overtly emotional/expressive interpretations (and I'm not talking about his facial or body movements).


Hold your horses there Mr. Nevis!

What I meant was that a lot of Lang Lang's facial expressions can come off as rather fake - therefore suggesting to the onlooker a compensation for certain lack of emotion in his playing (which as you point out is, rather than being "fake", actually overcooked). I never said anything about his playing.

Sorry if that was unclear, it was one of my abstract moments.

As for Lang Lang never dissing other musicians publicly - are you suggesting that he only disses them privately? smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Juggling Piano!
by Sam S - 06/14/21 07:25 PM
Please help: Kawai ST-1 (institutional) or K-300?
by SantaCecilia - 06/14/21 07:11 PM
Kawai VPC1 velocity curve
by luigigiul76 - 06/14/21 06:17 PM
Quality of the piano dealership shop
by lct14558 - 06/14/21 05:58 PM
Studio piano vsts? eg Ivory, Alicia's Keys
by MarkOfJohnson - 06/14/21 05:30 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,515
Posts3,103,681
Members101,810
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

 Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads



 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine


© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5