2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,897 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
My suggestion: Keep them playing as much as possible during the lesson and most importantly keep interrupting them when you notice something off with their playing so you can help them fix the problem.

Steve

Bösendorfer 170
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by keystring
Yes, you have to get the child to listen first. But then also, make it short enough for the young child to be able to continue to follow. That was our point, and it was also Tim's initial point.

My point was never to dispute the fact that children should be instructed in short sentences. I break things down to the bare minimum. Even a short command like "Put right hand 3rd finger on treble E" won't work for some kids. You'd have to make sure the kid knows which hand is the right hand, which finger is the 3rd finger, and which key to press down. Anything can go wrong at any segment.

However, I don't think we have enough information to conclude that's the OP's problem with that specific student.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
L
L
OP could be talking about my 7 yo except we don’t live in Australia and she’s not a boy and she can sit still for a long time.

She loves music and has been composing, improvising, and arranging for years. She also respects and adores her piano teacher but she often assumes she already knows what her teacher has to say so she stops listening.

As it has already been mentioned, Socratic method works better for these kids. Maturity helps too. What has really helped my little one is making her aware of her own shortcomings. So I record her practice sessions and she goes to her lessons knowing what she needs help with and when her teachers point out additional issues, she seems more receptive too. She says until she started listening critically to the recordings, she had no idea her physical playing didn’t match what she heard in her head.

Last edited by littlebirdblue; 06/29/18 04:10 AM.
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by littlebirdblue
She says until she started listening critically to the recordings, she had no idea her physical playing didn’t match what she heard in her head.

This.
I'm not sure it applies to the thread, but I think it is of vital importance. Our head voice can nearly always drown out our physical voice.

gotta go practice
N
N

What has really helped my little one is making her aware of her own shortcomings. So I record her practice sessions and she goes to her lessons knowing what she needs help with and when her teachers point out additional issues, she seems more receptive too. She says until she started listening critically to the recordings, she had no idea her physical playing didn’t match what she heard in her head.

Good idea. Recording during lessons is one thing that I do not do much of. I can think of a couple with whom I would like to try that.

Private Piano Instructor M.M.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TimR
She says until she started listening critically to the recordings, she had no idea her physical playing didn’t match what she heard in her head.

This.
I'm not sure it applies to the thread, but I think it is of vital importance. Our head voice can nearly always drown out our physical voice.

To me it seems perfectly applicable to the thread. It is much easier for this kid to get the message by listening to the recording than through any verbal explanation.

Learner
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
Recording? As the old credit card commercial said ‘priceless’. There is a huge discrepancy between what I hear in my head versus what I am actually doing. At first, it was disappointing, But I’ve done it so much now that I recognized it just helps me know what really needs work. Right now, I’m just recording using my cellphone

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
OP could be talking about my 7 yo except we don’t live in Australia and she’s not a boy and she can sit still for a long time.

She loves music and has been composing, improvising, and arranging for years. She also respects and adores her piano teacher but she often assumes she already knows what her teacher has to say so she stops listening.

Her composition wouldn't happen to be a German language opera, would it? And her name wouldn't be Alma Deutscher, would it? wink

My 25yo is as unprepared for lessons now as she was 20 years ago crazy

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by dogperson
Recording? As the old credit card commercial said ‘priceless’. There is a huge discrepancy between what I hear in my head versus what I am actually doing.

That is my experience too. One of my goals in recording is to calibrate my ear, so that the discrepancy diminishes. I think it is a learned skill that we pay too little attention to.

I also suspect that one of the characteristics of the prodigy is that they learn that listening skill faster, or maybe even have it innately, and therefore can learn faster.

gotta go practice
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission