2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, antune, 11 invisible), 1,784 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
OP Offline
L
An odd item was included in today's Vancouver Sun newspaper:

The Richmond RCMP have searched an abandoned warehouse there, and found it contained a dozen pianos in apparently "perfect" condition although very dusty, from small uprights to grands. They have no idea who owns them.

Contact Richmond RCMP at 604-278-1212 if you are missing your piano(s)!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

I'm pretty sure this is the unit.
https://www.ibid4storage.com/auction/15147655332379/#auction

I was told about it when it came up and I reported it to the RCMP since I know of a moving company that went out of business and had taken pianos form people and were charging them storage. Looking at the photos I noticed the skids and dollies and figured something was not quite right. The unit was abandoned and the storage company put it up for storage but after I reported it the auction was closed. I had many calls from people in the last 6 months asking if I knew where the moving company went as they were looking for their piano. I did manage to get one of them back before these guys totally disappeared. They went and picked it up and brought it to my shop.

Verhnjak Pianos
Specializing in the Restoration, Refinishing & Maintenance
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

L
OP Offline
L
Oh, my. Let's hope other owners may now be identified? The newspaper item I saw is not particularly large or noticeable, on page A6 of the Vancouver Sun today. I don't know if many in the public would see it.

The article said the RCMP received a tip, which is why they checked. It was probably yours.

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Social media will get these piano's hopefully to the rightful owners.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
The warehouse must have belonged to 88 Fingers Louie.

[Linked Image]

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
I wonder if the space is climate controlled? Other wise it is not a good choice for long term storage. At least not for nice pianos that you do not want to rebuild.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
B
BDB Offline
B
That depends. Around here, pianos can do better if the space is not climate controlled.

Semipro Tech
D
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
D
Rich, yes climate control and never overlook the damage pests and bugs will do.

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
Very curious! We once had a case where a piano of ours disappeared in B.C. - something that rarely happens. We had it on our books and the dealer swore he never received it. We became aware of it when a technician called in for technical specifications referring to the serial number and tracked it to a secondary piano mover. After being contacted, he paid up.

www.petrof.com - www.hailun-pianos.com

Office: 509-946-8078

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Campanella12
...he paid up.

Which he? The mover? The technician? The dealer?

Interesting story. Willful deceit, or bookkeeping error?

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by BDB
That depends. Around here, pianos can do better if the space is not climate controlled.

Same here -- the dealer I bought from uses nothing but natural convection ventilation, with a naturally ventilated attic above.

-- J.S.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
I also knew of this moving company. Feeling not good about things, I pulled a very expensive grand out from them about a year ago. Glad I did: I had this piano temporarily in storage for someone who showed up only shortly after demanding his piano back.
Norbert

Last edited by Norbert; 06/26/18 01:29 AM.

Shades of S. Covington and Schumann's missing Bosie ...

N
N
Wow that's pretty cool.

Originally Posted by Retsacnal
Originally Posted by Campanella12
...he paid up.

Which he? The mover? The technician? The dealer?

Interesting story. Willful deceit, or bookkeeping error?

Our main mover had used another mover to deliver the piano to the dealer who happened to be gone from the store at the time. The secondary mover took it back and left at his warehouse. The dealers balance was always off for exactly the amount of the particular piano but we did not make much of it because there was a constant flow of units - so we did not pursue the paper trail....

The secondary mover or someone at the facility sold the piano. I always like to assume the best and figure that it must have been an error. As I mentioned before when the technician called, things became clearer. Our main mover contacted that outfit and they promptly paid up.

www.petrof.com - www.hailun-pianos.com

Office: 509-946-8078
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
L
OP Offline
L
A follow up to the thread above, after almost four years!

I have copied and include the article here:

B.C. woman finds piano on Craigslist years after it disappears but other owners still hoping Author: Susan Lazaruk Publishing date: May 15, 2022
At least two of the heartbroken owners have given up ever seeing their precious pianos that disappeared when they put them into storage
Cynthia Loveman’s beloved Yamaha grand piano mysteriously disappeared years ago after she put it in storage during a move, but she never gave up hope that she would be reunited with the family heirloom.
She scanned Craigslist ads every night for years and was stunned a couple of weeks ago to spot it on offer for $15,000.
“I couldn’t believe it was true,” she said. “It looked like it popped off the page. I was trembling.”
About a week later, she was able to sit at the piano and play Beethoven’s Für Elise. “I cried. I couldn’t play. Then I calmed down and it was just lovely. I played the same piece on my player’s piano and my husband said, ‘Whoa, it sounds great.’ ”
While Loveman is thrilled to be reunited with her piano, she is still seeking answers, as are others whose pianos ended up with the same now-dissolved moving and storage company but didn’t get them back. Frustrated with the lack of police action, some turned to a private investigator.
Denis Gagnon, a retired RCMP officer who runs BCSI Investigations, said he believes how the moving and storage company lost their pianos was more than just poor management. He said he has put in “hundreds” of mostly unpaid hours chasing down leads and he continues to ask police to investigate the possibility of fraud.
In 2018, Gagnon tipped off Richmond RCMP to a warehouse filled with upright and grand pianos. RCMP subsequently issued a public notice seeking to reunite the pianos with their owners. But only three of the 20 pianos were claimed.
Richmond RCMP spokesman Cpl. Dennis Hwang said police consider the case closed and now a matter for the civil courts, if owners choose to pursue it. “You are referring to a case from 2018,” said Hwang in an email. “Our investigation was concluded with no information at that time to suggest criminal wrongdoing.”
“They (RCMP) were not in the slightest bit interested in finding out what happened to my piano,” said Cheryl Mitchell of North Vancouver. “They did absolutely nothing. They never even called me back. “If the police don’t care, what are you going to do?” she said.
Mitchell still misses the piano. It was the first piece of furniture her parents bought when they married more than 50 years ago. It was a John Broadwood & Sons piano, made in England by a manufacturer founded in 1728 and she estimated it was worth about $8,000.
“We would hear my dad playing it every Sunday morning when we got up,” she said.
She put it into storage after moving it from a family home on the Sunshine Coast, for which she paid about $150 a month for five years. When she called the company to have it moved, she was “given the runaround” and it became clear she wasn’t going to get it back. “I just assumed it was sold overseas,” she said. “This was a family heirloom. Everybody’s horrified.”
Grant Hayter-Menzies considered the loss of an 1887 Mason and Hamlin upright that had belonged to his grandmother tragic. “It was a very special piece. I had learned on that piano,” he said.
Hayter-Menzies had stored it with the defunct storage company when he moved to New Westminster from Vancouver Island. When he sought to retrieve it two years later, he discovered the business had closed and the piano couldn’t be found.
Loveman experienced the same heartbreaking loss when she realized the precious grand piano her parents had scrimped and saved to buy for her in 1971 when she was 12 was gone. She had had the piano moved from New York in 2015, placing it in storage with a local piano dealership until she and her husband moved into a larger house.
The dealership had transferred it to a storage facility owned by a different company without a written contract and that company at first denied ever having it. That company then stored it with the defunct moving and storage company, she said. Loveman got two years of storage fees and a “pittance” of $4,000 for the piano from the dealership after she threatened to sue. She estimated to replace it would cost US$85,000.
She learned the Craigslist seller was the sister of a piano teacher who had died of cancer in 2020. She was told the teacher had purchased the piano from two men at a Richmond storage locker for $7,000 cash in 2016, which included delivery in the back of a pickup truck.
Hayter-Menzies and Mitchell have given up hope of ever getting their beloved pieces back or any damages from the courts because they wouldn’t know whom to sue.
Gagnon said he is motivated to discover who is responsible for the wrongful resale of Loveman’s piano and possibly others because “I want to get to the bottom of this.” He said he has traced the former owner of the moving and storage company to a new piano moving company.
The last known owner of the moving and storage company, which no longer has a working website or phone number, couldn’t be reached for comment. His son answered his phone and said the company was owned by someone else. When he discovered he was talking to a reporter, he hung up. On a second call, he said his father wasn’t interested in making a comment.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
OMG that's the worst nightmare of everyone who's ever moved a piano (or anything else precious!)

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission