2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (benkeys, Burkhard, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 13 invisible), 1,824 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2729413 04/16/18 02:12 PM
P
P3T3R Offline OP
OP Offline
P
The former Steinway dealer in WNY that is now a Kawai dealer has taken delivery of Bechstein. The location in the Buffalo area had 2 grands (A175 and A208 I think) but they have had no dealer prep yet.

I played them anyway... and headed right back to the Kawai SK5. The Bechsteins were good for Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert maybe, but the warm mellowness of the Shigeru appealed to me more. I'll go back again in a few weeks to see if they Bechsteins match better with my playing after they have settled in.

Last edited by P3T3R; 04/16/18 02:14 PM.

Peter
1949 Baldwin M
currently working on Brahms op. 10 Ballades, f-minor sonata and 2nd concerto
Mendelssohn Songs Without Words and E minor Prelude and Fugue
whatever strikes my fancy today.
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I would say that the Academy Bechstein pianos are not in the same league as C.Bechstein or Shigeru Kawai. It will be interesting for you to return in a few weeks and make another comparison then.

Regards,
Robert.

Last edited by Robert 45; 04/16/18 04:57 PM. Reason: punctuation
A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
Keep in mind that the A175 and A208 models are of the mid-level Bechstein line. (This line can be called either "Bechstein" or "C. Bechstein Academy", depending on the vintage of the pianos.)

The "C. Bechstein" or "C. Bechstein Concert" models are the flagship line. See if you can try some of them when you return to the dealer.

D
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
D
I recently played a new C. Bechstein grand (L 167), their smallest. Absolutely stunning. Of course not a 7 foot bass, but a wonderful and balanced instrument that I would be happy with for the rest of my life. Can only imagine the rest of the models.

Last edited by dhull100; 04/16/18 03:56 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the heads-up, Peter! I was just reading through the Bechstein website and I'm kind of drooling. I'll have to stop in Denton's this weekend and see which ones they have. Why do I torture myself like this, LOL?? It's just so exciting to be able to play these wonderful instruments here!

Cunningham Studio grand; Yamaha CLP-645 Clavinova
P
P3T3R Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by ebonykawai
Thanks for the heads-up, Peter! I was just reading through the Bechstein website and I'm kind of drooling. I'll have to stop in Denton's this weekend and see which ones they have. Why do I torture myself like this, LOL?? It's just so exciting to be able to play these wonderful instruments here!

I think playing the sk5 was a mistake. I really can't stop thinking about it. Need to start playing the lottery now.

Peter
1949 Baldwin M
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by P3T3R

I think playing the sk5 was a mistake. I really can't stop thinking about it. Need to start playing the lottery now.

Oh dear, you're where I was a week and a half ago! That situation ended up with me buying said piano, LOL. It really is a form of torture! grin

P
P3T3R Offline OP
OP Offline
P

Oh dear, you're where I was a week and a half ago! That situation ended up with me buying said piano, LOL. It really is a form of torture! grin

The worst part is that I just bought my Baldwin M a little over a year ago. My family thinks I'm crazy for still going around playing these other pianos.

Peter
1949 Baldwin M
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Pianos can always be traded, LOL! Not that I mean anything by that.... grin

Totally understand where you're coming from, I'm exactly the same.

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F

The worst part is that I just bought my Baldwin M a little over a year ago. My family thinks I'm crazy for still going around playing these other pianos.

Peter:

Don't be too hard on yourself. I sometimes think that all of us who play Classical pieces on the piano are a bit crazy to begin with!

Last edited by Furtwangler; 04/18/18 01:18 PM.

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Furtwangler

Peter:

Don't be too hard on yourself. I sometimes think that all of us who play Classical pieces on the piano are a bit crazy to begin with!

It's not just the Classical folks! I don't know too many piano players who don't love to go out an experiment with pianos, anywhere and any time. I did it just this last weekend. I played all makes and models even though I've got a beautiful NY S&S B just waiting on me at home. grin

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Well, I just ordered my mulch from the nursery next door to Denton's so I really have no choice but to go pre-pay it, and then OF COURSE stop in and see the Bechsteins! Happy Friday, everyone! smile

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Well, I just ordered my mulch from the nursery next door to Denton's so I really have no choice but to go pre-pay it, and then OF COURSE stop in and see the Bechsteins! Happy Friday, everyone! smile

Of course. You need to help break them in so they play nicely when other come in to shop!

P
P3T3R Offline OP
OP Offline
P

Make sure you report back on your impressions. I'm curious if they have had a chance to do any prep on them yet.

You should try the white Baldwin M that they have in the front - I think that instrument sounds a lot better than it looks, but I am very partial to Baldwins.

Peter
1949 Baldwin M
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I had a Baldwin R a couple years ago, but it was way too big for my room and overwhelmed everything. Sadly, I ended up selling it. I don't think I can accommodate a grand properly in my house. The Baldwins have a lovely sound and the action on my old R was very good! I saw the white one when I was there last week. smile

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by GC13

Of course. You need to help break them in so they play nicely when other come in to shop!

It's a tough job but somebody has to do it, LOL!

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by GC13

It's a tough job but somebody has to do it, LOL!

I had to do that on a nice Steinway D last weekend. Man, was that torture. Hahahaha!

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission