2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, AlkansBookcase, 11 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 35 of 302 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 301 302
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello MooseMiller, welcome to the forum, and congratulations on the purchase of your NV10!

Originally Posted by MooseMiller
I just adjusted [the Line In volume knob] to make the noise inaudible.

I'm glad to read that this matter was easily resolved. Good call by UKchap75!
May I ask if you had adjusted the Line In volume knob position after receiving the NV10?
Also, do you have any devices connected to the Line In connector?
If not, it's probably best to set the Line In volume knob to the minimum position.

Regarding the damper pedal mechanism:

...the main symptom for me is that there is virtually no tension in the pedal - it's either on or off - and you could easily depress it with your little finger say. Also, when you depress the pedal, a loud audible 'clunk' is heard from the main DP body.

As Gombessa notes, there seems to be a problem with the damper mechanism. If you have not done so already, my recommendation would be to contact your dealer to have this matter checked by a piano technician.

May I ask where you are based, and if the NV10 was purchased from a local dealer, please?
If you would prefer not to provide this information publicly, please feel free to contact me via a private message.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
M
M
Originally Posted by Gombessa
I think you may have a real issue with your damper. I don't believe spring you're talking about actually provides any significant tension. Most of the weight of the damper pedal is from the fact that it has to lift a 3ft aluminum rail which is itself holding up 5-10lb of damper hinges and weights. The fact that you can depress the pedal the entire way with your pinky means the rail isn't being pushed up. It's possible the wooden peg that actually lifts the damper rail has become dislodged and the damper mechanism isn't actually engaging?

This is a good point. After looking at the pictures earlier, if I were to close my eyes I would imagine that the peg missing the hole is what is felt and heard. I'll see what happens today with the dealer but if not, curiosity may make me have a look inside. I'm reluctant to do this yet as it's new - and therefore warranted - etc

When you depress the damper pedal, can you tell if the key weighting decreases at all? While holding the damper down, when you very lightly press a key down, can you still feel the subtle engagement point of the damper? It's easiest to tell by playing E6 and F6 (since E6 has a damper but F6 doesn't).

I tried this but to be honest, it all felt the same. But this could be because I do not really know what I am feeling for here

M
M
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Hello MooseMiller, welcome to the forum, and congratulations on the purchase of your NV10!

Thank you James

May I ask if you had adjusted the Line In volume knob position after receiving the NV10?
Also, do you have any devices connected to the Line In connector?
If not, it's probably best to set the Line In volume knob to the minimum position.

I hadn't adjusted the line in knob. To be honest I didn't even notice it!
Nothing connected to LI and I've now set it to minimum

Regarding the damper pedal mechanism:
As Gombessa notes, there seems to be a problem with the damper mechanism. If you have not done so already, my recommendation would be to contact your dealer to have this matter checked by a piano technician.
May I ask where you are based, and if the NV10 was purchased from a local dealer, please?

I've sent an email to my dealer and hoping for a response today as it is the first day back after the holiday weekend and will follow up with them. I'm based in the UK and purchased the NV10 from them

Hello MooseMiller,

Thank you for confirming those points.

I'm confident that your dealer will be able resolve whatever is preventing the damper pedal mechanism from working correctly. However, if you require any assistance, please do let me know.

Kind regards,
James
x

U
U
Update on the User Tone settings to reduce the slight buzzing in high pitch. This effect is exacerbated by certain sounds. Such as Full. Tonight I also turned the Mid-High to -2 dB. I still have High at -4 dB. This worked very well on Full sound. I may even be able to turn the High back up to -3 dB? The Full sound has a much longer resonance/reverb echo which may not help. But I like this on certain songs so don’t want to reduce it. The User Tone definitely has the best results. Now over 99% removal of buzzing I think.

Piano player as hobby. Baby grand acoustic. Yamaha P255. Kawai Novus NV10.
P
P
Originally Posted by JoBert
Originally Posted by Osho
It looks like everyone is busy playing NV10s last day or so! - not much chatter today smile.

OK, to add a bit of chatter, let me share my newest mini-mod of the NV10, this time of the volume knob:

What I liked better with the CA97 than the NV10 was, that the CA97's volume slider has visible position markers. I usually play via speakers, but still sometimes via headphones, and the two modes require different volume settings. With the CA97, I could simply memorize the slider positions for the two volume settings for speakers and headphones, helped by the markers. The NV10's almost maker-free volume knob does not make this so easy.

Actually, I got a lucky break in so far, that the correct setting for my headphones is with the knob at the 12-o'clock position (i.e. 50% volume) which is relatively easy to see via the small white dot on the knob. But for playing with speakers, the correct-for-me volume settings is somewhere at the 2-o'clock-ish position. Which is kind of fiddly to get right without bending down very low under the piano - and I'm kind of picky with such small details. When I play, I want the volume always at the same setting, as close as possible.

So... I made another one of my zip-tie "mods":

I put a small black zip-tie around the volume knob (of course with the end cut off). The knob is metal and has small grooves around the circumference, for a better grip when turning it, so the zip-tie stays in the same position without sliding around, as it "anchors" into these grooves (or rather the inner edge of the little "buckle" of the zip-tie does this), even without having to pull the tie extra tight. I then pushed the zip-tie all the way back, almost flush with the panel, where, by virtue of being black, it is almost invisible unless you really examine the knob closely. I can actually slide off the zip-tie quite easily and slide it on again at a slightly different rotation. I used this to put the zip-tie into a position where the little buckle is about at the 12-o'clock position if the volume knob has the correct volume position. Then I cut out a tiny little rectangle from the sticky part of a post-it note, of the same size as the little zip-tie buckle, and attached that little "sticker" into the same 12-o'clock position, like you can see in the first picture below.

[Linked Image]

Note, that the volume knob position in that picture is not the correct position for playing with speakers, instead it's the headphones position where by coincidence the little white dot on the knob itself also lines up with the 12-o'click position, i.e. with my little sticker. So that makes it even easier to find the headphones position.

However, I actually did attach the little post-it sticker to find the playing-with-speakers volume position more easily. And it now makes it easier, because I simply have to turn the knob to the position where the little zip-tie buckle completely obscures the little yellow sticker, as seen in the second picture:

[Linked Image]

That is quite easy to see even when seated at the piano and only bending down the head slightly, so it is now a quick adjustment to make. Plus as an additional advantage, since that's the usual position of the knob, you usually don't even see the little sticker.

You may (probably rightfully so) think that this is a stupid little thing, but for me, it's a nice little improvement. smile

BTW, for other NV10 owners: While doing all this I realized, that the panel with the sockets, the volume knob and the on/off switch was covered with one of those protective films, which is not easy to see, as, at least in my case, the film matched up so perfectly with the panel edges. That film is already removed in the above pictures.

Actually, reading this thread, and even without owning one of these (I wish!) I can see that one big improvement would be to have separate volume knobs for both headphones and the speakers.

It is sort of annoying to have to change the volume every time you switch between the two.

It would make much more sense if there were simply two volume knobs, so that you would most likely only have to adjust it once, and then wouldn't have to change it again.

JoBert Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PianoGuyStuart
Actually, reading this thread, and even without owning one of these (I wish!) I can see that one big improvement would be to have separate volume knobs for both headphones and the speakers.

That would be a nifty feature. But is there any digital piano on the market that has this?

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
Originally Posted by JoBert
That would be a nifty feature. But is there any digital piano on the market that has this?

I believe Roland DPs that utilise digital volume controls (e.g. +/- buttons) allow the speaker and headphone volume to be set independently.

This is obviously not possible using an (analogue) volume knob of slider with a fixed range of movement.

Kind regards,
James
x

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Yes, all relatively recent Rolands have this, as James already stated. Starting with the f130r, rp401r, hp504, 6, 8 etc. And yes, it was very useful when I was still using the internal sound engine.

Tyr Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Currently considering jumping back on the kawai ship with a Novus. How are your impressions so far? smile

Kawai: NV5 | Yamaha: CLP-745R
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Model D - AG | Minigrand | The Oeser
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Tyr
Currently considering jumping back on the kawai ship with a Novus. How are your impressions so far? smile

My impressions are that it's definitely a DP/hybrid you need to try!

Before the NV10, the Yamaha AvantGrand was the only real game in town. Acoustic grands vary in action and tone more than most digitals do, but in the hybrid space there was only one real choice. With the NV10, that's all changed. You can play both and decide if a hybrid is for you, and/or whether you like the Yamaha or Kawai action better.

After trying the N1/N2/N3X and an NV10, I bought the Kawai on the spot, and I play it every day. It's one of the highlights of my day in fact, I simply look forward to sitting down at it.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
JoBert Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyr

I've had my Novus for two months now and I can say that I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
U
U
I completely agree with Gombessa and JoBert. Had mine nearly two months and play every day too. Beautiful piano.

Piano player as hobby. Baby grand acoustic. Yamaha P255. Kawai Novus NV10.
M
M
Hello UKchap75,

In previous posts, you mentioned the following:
---I've had my NV10 for nearly six weeks now. I've not played my acoustic baby grand once in that time. Yet again last night, the touch, feel and expression possible on the NV10 had me almost in tears whilst playing. Love it love it love it.
---I have still not played my acoustic baby grand since getting the NV10.

These comments you made are intriguing to me. I always thought that people having an acoustic piano, in particular for you a baby grand piano, they always would prefer the sound of an acoustic piano to the sound of a digital piano.

Therefore, it would be interesting if you would not mind answering the questions below.
1) Could you elaborate on the reasons why you prefer using your Kawai NV10 instead of your acoustic baby grand, apart from the fact that it is natural when you have a new instrument to be focused on playing it exclusively at the beginning?
2) Do you use the Kawai NV10 mostly with headphones or mostly without headphones?
What headphones do you use?
3) What types of music do you like to play at the piano, classical or non-classical?
How long have you been playing the piano?

Thanks for your feedback on these questions.

Have a great time enjoying the Kawai Novus NV10 that seems really a great piano.

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyr

Tyr, If you can find one you should definitely try it and compare it to the N1/N2. My dealer in LA, which is where the Kawai distributor for the US is located, received 3 from the first shipment of 60 to the US. I got his last one. Although he has a close personal relationship with the guys at Kawai, he hasn't been able to get any more. He said most of the first shipment were pre-sold. It appears, he said, that even Kawai did not expect the response they received to the NV-10.

Kawai NV10
Tyr Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Nice to hear guys.

@TomLC: Luckily here in Germany, i have a dozen of shops within my reach with a NV10 in stock. smile

Last edited by Tyr; 04/07/18 03:36 PM.

Kawai: NV5 | Yamaha: CLP-745R
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Model D - AG | Minigrand | The Oeser
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I talked to the Kawai service tech today. He told me that he didn't think they even got 60 in the US. But he is expecting a new shipment. soon. Kawai just can not keep up with demand, he said.

He lives a couple of miles from me, and came by today to replace a couple of wires. The reason you guys hear a noise in the speakers is a wire in the back, and another under the display. He kept listening to the top left speaker for that noise. MooseMiller was talking about. So you may want to call your dealer, or Kawai support and ask them about it.

Last edited by TomLC; 04/07/18 03:18 PM.

Kawai NV10
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyr
Nice to hear guys.

@TomLC: Luckily here in Germany, i have a dozen of shops within my reach with a NV10 in stock. smile

I understand that the NV-10 was available in Europe three months before it was released in the US. So I expect you are on your second or third shipment. The US is waiting for the second.
Regardless, you should try it. It sure feels like the Kawai's I have played in the dealers shop.

Kawai NV10
M
M
Originally Posted by TomLC
....He lives a couple of miles from me, and came by today to replace a couple of wires. The reason you guys hear a noise in the speakers is a wire in the back, and another under the display. He kept listening to the top left speaker for that noise. MooseMiller was talking about. So you may want to call your dealer, or Kawai support and ask them about it.

Interesting... You say he replaced the wires (rather than insulate, or re-attach them)? May well be some kind of shielding issue then

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TomLC
....He lives a couple of miles from me, and came by today to replace a couple of wires. The reason you guys hear a noise in the speakers is a wire in the back, and another under the display. He kept listening to the top left speaker for that noise. MooseMiller was talking about. So you may want to call your dealer, or Kawai support and ask them about it.

Interesting... You say he replaced the wires (rather than insulate, or re-attach them)? May well be some kind of shielding issue then

Yes, he said they were not insulated So he replaced them with insulated wire. No big deal, but amazed Kawai sent them out like that.

Last edited by TomLC; 04/07/18 04:14 PM.

Kawai NV10
Page 35 of 302 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 301 302

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission