2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (20/20 Vision, anotherscott, 36251, bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 7 invisible), 1,401 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
My strangest comment came from my wife. I've been learning a Chopin mazurka. The other day while I was playing she told me "I don't really like Chopin, his music has too many notes." I almost fell off my bench laughing. I still haven't figured out exactly what she meant, she can't explain it to me smile

Last edited by squidbot; 04/02/18 05:11 PM.

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by squidbot
My strangest comment came from my wife. I've been learning a Chopin mazurka. The other day while I was playing she told me "I don't really like Chopin, his music has too many notes." I almost fell off my bench laughing. I still haven't figured out exactly what she meant, she can't explain it to me smile

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
"Which few did you have in mind, Majesty?" lol

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
B
B
“There are in fact only so many notes the ear can hear...”

-my favorite line smile

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Some otherwise intelligent people think learning to play the piano is like learning to read. Once one can read music, one can just play it immediately without any practice. One of these people asked me to play Rhapsody in Blue with one day's notice and was surprised when I tried to explain that things don't work that way.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 04/02/18 06:19 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I had just finished playing Mendelssohn's 53/5, the Volkslied, for my teacher. She says, "So how loud do you think you were playing?"

Which is actually good teaching - asking an open question. Supposed to make the student do some critical thinking. But it set me back a little...

And I was playing the old "Chestnut's Roasting on an Open Fire" at a Christmas music party, when the old guy (older than me, so that's really old) sitting just 5 feet away, starts singing. I got flummoxed and stumbled...

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I once played so badly that the teacher of the piano course I was enrolled in, upon listening to my performance, was without words to express his disapproval of the rhythm. So, he made one up. He called my play "all.....janckie!" blush

I gave birth to a new word! thumb

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I was told, "You've been studying so long and that's all you can play?"

[Linked Image]
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
Amadeus clip

Oh man, you are right. She was totally punking me and I didn’t even get the association until you pointed it out. Geez.

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
M
M
I had just restarted piano after a year of not playing at all, and with encouragement from my husband, I took up lessons again and was working on a Haydn sonata. So one day I asked him, "So how does it sound?" and he said, "It sounds good, but is it supposed to be that slow?" LOL I had been playing it under tempo for so long that I had just not even tried to go fast, but I sat down and played it up to tempo without a problem. That's when I became a true believer in slow practice laugh

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
C
C
"That was beautiful... well, the first four bars" My teacher.

"You're getting better"... unsolicited from my moody 21 year old who was home for spring break from college comparing my play in March to Christmas. This was a huge surprise. Maybe he was just softening me up so he could ask for money later.

First Lesson Oct. 17, 2017. Now working on Faber Piano Adventures 3B Lesson, T&A, Performance, Theory and Faber FunTime Ragtime & Marches. Kawai MP11SE. My Sound Cloud Piano recordings
[Linked Image]
Lol Chili, I had something similar from my other half. “Wow, my honey is getting really good.” I totally did not expect that. I was more expecting, “Not THAT piece - again!”

[Linked Image]
D
D
"How do you know what you should play with the right hand and what with the left one?" (My highy educated friend with zero music training after I played a Chopin nocturne for her).

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Working on Bach this morning, my husband walked through the room and said, "aren't you getting tired of that song?". I guess he is.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WiseBuff
Working on Bach this morning, my husband walked through the room and said, "aren't you getting tired of that song?". I guess he is.

Lol that's hilarious!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Stubbie Offline OP
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
My spouse had piano lessons for many years when he was a child. His mother would be listening and would call out, "I don't hear practicing!" whenever the music stopped or he started messing around. So now whenever I stop to stretch or look something up, I hear "I DON'T HEAR PRACTICING!" coming from the other room. Depending on how my practicing is going, I might or might not make a reply that he wouldn't have made to his mom. blush

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

H
H
Teacher "It actually has gotten worse..."

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Practicing a Dvorak duet at my friend’s house, I could hear her husband shout “pianissimo” from another room. Every 5 minutes or so he would plead “pianissimo” again. He finally got fed up, walked up to the piano and found a pp in the score. Jabbing his finger at the score he stated matter of factly, “See here, it says pianissimo.” Another 20 minutes pass and now he really has had it. He walks into the room, “I think you have practiced enough for today.” So nice to feel your music making soothes the soul.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PianogrlNW
Practicing a Dvorak duet at my friend’s house, I could hear her husband shout “pianissimo” from another room. Every 5 minutes or so he would plead “pianissimo” again. He finally got fed up, walked up to the piano and found a pp in the score. Jabbing his finger at the score he stated matter of factly, “See here, it says pianissimo.” Another 20 minutes pass and now he really has had it. He walks into the room, “I think you have practiced enough for today.” So nice to feel your music making soothes the soul.

Dying!!! 😂😂😂

Cunningham Studio grand; Yamaha CLP-645 Clavinova
While practicing for my recital (the only adult playing in a recital with a bunch of children) I was butchering a song I had been playing pretty well. Of course, my nerves were on edge. My darling wife walks by and says "you're not going to play THAT, are you?" Of course, I proceeded to choke during the recital.

Piano obsession started November 2010.
Ragtime Butcher
Kayserburg U123
[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission