2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
51 members (7sheji, bcalvanese, Aylin, Barly, brdwyguy, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 5 invisible), 1,351 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2717298 02/26/18 07:20 AM
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Learning a big piece way above my head is very draining. The notes, the techniques and the fingerings, the pedals, the voices, hands coordination, even double notes, solving problems after problems, and so on.

I'm constantly trying to learn another page of notes, and then another, then go back 3 pages in case I've forgotten them but then I really need to learn one more page... It is so difficult I tend to forget what it's all about.

Is that all there is? Benjamin Zander said there's more. This video reminded me to feel and enjoy. I hope you'll find this video inspiring too.

Be yourself

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Never has so much work gone into so little reward. It is hard work; you kinda get there, and move on to other stuff.
And when you are wont to recall such indulgences, you have to . . .like, start again! Almost from scratch. Because you concentration is never as good second time around since it's not new!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Hi Stubbie
Thanks so much for sharing, this is been a discussion I have frequently had with my piano teacher: how do I communicate the music with the audience? When I can do that, and not just play the notes and the rhythm, I will consider myself to be a pianist. I use audience in the broader sense, as my only audience is often just me.... but if I just plunk through the music, I’ve lost my whole reason for playing

This will be a YouTube that I will save and re-play frequently

Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I'm a little bit lazy, if the piece is too difficult, I drop notes. Too simple, I add notes.

Serge

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

Online Content
Originally Posted by Tubbie0075
Is that all there is? Benjamin Zander said there's more. This video reminded me to feel and enjoy. I hope you'll find this video inspiring too.
I very much enjoyed this video but I really don't understand what Zander is trying to tell Hass when he tells the story about his great cello teacher playing like a pig one day but the neighbor is crying because she is so moved. (The part from around 5:50 to 7:30)

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on what Znder means. Thank you.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Hi Plover
My take on the section you referenced: His cello teacher’s performance was not technically accurate, But reached the higher goal of communicating the message of the music with the audience, just like he tells the student that the communication with the audience is the primary concern over virtuosity.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
What a great video! I never thought of watching a string master class but this was really inspiring and appropriate for any instrument. Thanks for that!

Online Content
Originally Posted by dogperson
Hi Plover
My take on the section you referenced: His cello teacher’s performance was not technically accurate, But reached the higher goal of communicating the message of the music with the audience, just like he tells the student that the communication with the audience is the primary concern over virtuosity.
OK, I mostly got that.

But what do you(or anyone else) make of (in reference to his teacher) "It isn't about his playing, it's about his being" and (in reference to Hass) "they are touched by you in spite of your great playing".

Last edited by pianoloverus; 02/26/18 03:02 PM.
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Thanks for sharing this video. Even though it’s about playing cello, the overall advice about musicality applies also to the piano. I was interested in how Benjamin Zander’s teaching style was effective in getting the cellist to make minor changes in his bowing and phrasing and yet produce large changes in how the music sounded.

I participated in a couple of masterclasses in which the teacher used a similar effusive conducting style, including singing along with me as I played. At first it was disconcerting, but then I found it to be very appealing. The experience was that he and I were working together as a team towards the same goal.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Hi Plover
OK, I mostly got that.

But what do you(or anyone else) make of (in reference to his teacher) "It isn't about his playing, it's about his being" and (in reference to Hass) "they are touched by you in spite of your great playing".

Reference to teacher: it wasn’t technique that was important....... but that he communicated the music from his soul
Reference to Hass: the audience felt your passion. You did not let your virtuosity overshadow it, so that how well you play was the only thing communicated

Online Content
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Hi Plover
OK, I mostly got that.

Reference to teacher: it wasn’t technique that was important....... but that he communicated the music from his soul
Reference to Hass: the audience felt your passion. You did not let your virtuosity overshadow it, so that how well you play was the only thing communicated
I think you hit the nail on the head. Now it makes perfect sense to me.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission