2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
54 members (bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, 9 invisible), 1,393 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 23 of 302 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 301 302
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Ideally, both sensors should be after the let off point, so that hammer is freely moving and not influenced by key anymore. Thus the velocity reading will be precise. Otherwise a lot of fooling situations might happen. For instance you can press slowly the key passing through first sensor that starts the timer. Then keep key a bit further without moving it. And then push it forcefully. The hammer would’ve hit the rail with high velocity but the time would be so long as to produce zero velocity. However let off is very close to string already so if you need to put both sensors after that point you’d end up with way too short a distance and the measurement precision would suffer. So a compromise needs to be sought.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
JoBert Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gombessa
The problem with this is what the midi data suggests. If you are at the letoff (past the first sensor), you can still get a midi strike (or not) depending solely on how hard you press the key from that point (though still, no note sounds even if the strike is registered). That means it's impossible (super unlikely) for it to be a 2 sensor system where the first sensor is before or at the letoff.

I'm not sure if I'm not misunderstanding something again, but I don't see a reason why that should not be possible with two sensors: First you move the key slowly to the letoff, passing the first sensor (just by a tiny fraction), then you hesitate. Then you press the key down fully, either forcefully or less forcefully.
In the first case, the force is enough to let the hammer fly past the second sensor -> MIDI strike (but with velocity 1, because you hesitated so longer after the first sensor). In the second case, the force is not enough to let the hammer reach the second sensor before it falls back -> no MIDI strike.
That is just like it would behave with an acoustic: Enough force -> hits string. Not enough force -> falls back without hitting string.
And that is actually consistent with what I saw today: With the very first tries, after reaching the letoff point, I did not press the key down forcefully, but rather lightly. And the hammer did then indeed not fly up, but simply dropped back down (with only a slight upwards bump that would not have reached the strings in an acoustic piano). My first reaction was actually "Ah, so the hammer does not fly up! ... Huh, that's not what I expected". Then I repeated that and now I did press down with more force, and then I could see the hammer flying up.

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Btw, just let me say I really enjoy these hypothetical musings. I imagine some engineers from Kawai and Yamaha sitting back in a chair with a hot mug of coffee, browsing through these threads and rolling their eyes thinking "psshht, amateurs!"

I think you're right, I was confusing the behavior of hammer sensors with key sensors. With the first sensor triggered at letoff, the second can be struck if you press down firmly, or not struck if you press down lightly. All the more reason to do as Cybergene suggests and have both sensors triggered after the letoff, when you know the hammer is moving on its own. Sorry, I didn't think this one through carefully!

But I still think it doesn't make much sense to have the final sensor represent a point in the middle of travel (unless it is a technically-required compromise). Why put yourself in a position of having to guess whether the hammer strikes the string, and guessing wrong 100% of the time with a technique common enough to have its own name, when you can just define that sensor as the string? Perhaps there's some rebound issues to consider?

Here's an interesting artifact: If you go to Sound Mode, and in Virtual Technical change Touch Curve to off, then you can trigger a note even if the hammer never hits the "bottom/final" sensor. In fact, the note triggers above the letoff, well before the point of final resistance. What's difficult to tell is whether the note is being triggered by a hammer sensor (suggesting that is in fact above the letoff), or by a key sensor.

EVEN MORE interesting, if you press the key just right (about pp) in this mode, you can reliably trigger a double-note, suggesting it is registering a strike upon the aformentioned first sensor, as well as on the final hammer sensor. My guess is Kawai may have ported this feature over from a standard triple sensor digital, and didn't fully take into account the fact that there is an extra sensor input in the hybrid (hammer sensors + key sensors). If you press the key more firmly or softly, it "knows" to cancel out the double note. But at just the right velocity (about pp) you consistently get two notes.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
So, a very interesting discovery amidst all this talk of hammer and key sensor positions:

It seems in Virtual Technician, if I set "touch curve" to "off", in either pianist or sound mode, some keys will sound as soon as the key is pressed a certain amount (near the letoff point) no matter how slowly the key is pressed, and other keys will only sound when the key is pressed with enough velocity to throw the hammer. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to which key will exhibit which behavior. Do I have some VT settings mixed up?

Also, with a fairly light key press, it's very easy to trigger a rapid double note (which I suspect is a top sensor triggering a note as well as a bottom sensor, which escapes some redundant note detection?).

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
G
G
Originally Posted by JoBert
Today I've had the fallboard off of my NV10 again (for unrelated reasons), so I thought I might try to answer this question that was still open:
If you softly push a key down exactly to the resistance of the letoff, and then forcefully press the key to the bottom, do you consistently get a note played, on all/most keys?
Can you check to see if the hammer actually flies (and hits the stop rail) when a key is pressed like this?

We had already discussed the answer to the first question, i.e. that no, when doing this experiment, I cannot get a note played. So now I wanted to answer the second question: It is a bit difficult to tell, but from all I could see, I think the answer is yes, the hammer is indeed thrown.

So the question is, why doesn't the note play then?

My theory is, that it is a combination of the nature of the experiment itself, and the way the sensor works.

The sensor, even though it measures hammer movement optically (and not key movement by pressure, as most "normal" DPs), still measures the velocity of the hammer, not the force with which the hammer hits the stop rail.
If I understand the technology correctly, the sensor consists of a fixed optical unit (with a laser) and a shutter that is attached to the base of the hammer shank. To determine the velocity of the hammer, the sensor probably uses the shutter/laser combination to detect two positions of the hammer shank, and the velocity is then a function of the time elapsed between these two positions.
  • Very short time: High velocity -> high MIDI value. This is what happens when you play ff.
  • Very long time: Low velocity -> low MIDI value. This is what happens when you play pp.
  • Even longer time: Velocity too low -> MIDI value 1 (=no note played). This is what happens if you botch the pp and press the key too softly.
  • Much, much longer time: Velocity too low -> MIDI value 1 (=no note played). I think this is what happens in the above experiment.

As you can see, for the sound engine, there is no difference between a botched pp where the key was pressed just a tad too softly, so that no note was played, and the last case, which I think is the case that happens in the above experiment. In both cases, the system generates the MIDI value 1, which means, "key was pressed, but no note played".

Why do I think that this last case is what happens in our "experiment"? Because if you look at what happens with the hammer during the experiment, you can see that when you slowly press the key up to the resistance of the letoff, the hammer is already moved upwards quite a bit. (Which is of course totally logical. After all, the letoff is the moment when the hammer is decoupled from the key, so the hammer must already have moved at this point. If it hadn't, and the key was decoupled before the hammer even starts moving, then the hammer would never move at all!).
And since the hammer has already moved upwards quite a bit, the sensor has probably already passed the first measuring position, where the measurement for the elapsed time starts. Only we, while doing this experiment, hesitate so long until we finally press down the key fully, that it takes a (relatively) loooong time for the hammer to finally reach the second measuring position. Depending on how slowly you "feel" your way down to the letoff point and how quickly thereafter you then press down the key, the time between the two measuring positions can be even several seconds (but certainly at least some tenths of a second). And this is of course an elapsed time that never happens during normal play. So while the hammer eventually reaches the second position, the system calculates a veeeery low velocity, hence the MIDI value 1 = no note played.

So my theory is, that the way we are performing the experiment, in combination with how the sensor works, actually makes it impossible to measure what we want to measure, as we artificially increase the time between the two sensor positions so much, that the result must be "no note played".

So is that a problem when actually playing the instrument?

I don't think so. Although my technique is not good enough to reliably play "from the letoff", I assume that when a pianist who has mastered the technique does this, then he (or she) will not slowly and gently press the key down (=taking quite a bit of time) until he consciously feels the letoff, and then, after a reaction time delay (after noticing the letoff notch feeling), finally press down the key fully. That method, even if mastered, would only allow to play maybe one note every second or so. No, I think that a pianist who plays with this technique plays this much more fluidly. He has a "feeling" where the letoff is, without having to slowly approach it as we do in our experiment, so the total of the key press is still relatively quick, regarding the time between the two measuring points of the sensor, which is interpreted as a low, but not too low, velocity, which results in a low MIDI value >1, which in turn produces a pp or ppp note - just as desired.

OK, now poke holes in my theory! grin

Hi Jobert,

I think you are very close with your theory with how the optical sensor works together with let off. Those had the reason why all DP manufacturers use triple sensors today.

The only exception I found to get rid of the problem on close to acoustic actions is the alpha piano where in a addition an "elastic target" is hit like the string on an acoustic and the good old Yamaha CP80 ;-).

Little bit is aso caused by the fact that KAWAI seem a to n oh t regulate the close to acoustic actions in the factory. How should the w/o astringent their "artisans" will never touch it because electric is devil's breed ;-) ;-) ;-).

Do my humbling opinion they seem to have general problems to touch their instruments before shipping. Otherwise it can't breed explained to me how their touch display (not properly) works.

Even the manual leaves us behind in riddles and ???????.

Galuwen

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
The only picture of AvantGrand action I could find is this:
[Linked Image]

To me it seems there's only one optical shutter on the hammer shanks, in contrast to the NV10 where there are two sensors. And there are the optical sensors beneath the keys as on NU1. That makes me wonder if N-series actually measure real hammer velocity? Maybe they rely mainly on the under key sensors, exactly as this is done on NU1 and that's proven to be pretty reliable and expressive. In that case they may use the hammer shank shutter as a precaution against sudden loud notes or any other jamming possibility, as much unlikely as that might be. If you have a good hammer behavior modeling, you can predict hammer movement even from beneath the keys. So, you might need the hammer shank sensors only as an on/off switch. Or maybe it still measures velocity by taking into account the key sensors as a start point and then the shank shutter as ending point?

Last edited by CyberGene; 02/25/18 06:56 AM.

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
There may be benefits to coordinating between the key sensor and hammer sensor, but to me the big question is how the "continuous" nature of the sensor comes into play. We're all talking about the optical sensors as analogous to single impact contact sensors, but if it is actually continuous then that may be why we see only one shutter (you can measure the position of a single shutter without a separate sensor to establish velocity reference), and it also would seem like quite a waste of good data to only use it as a backstop to the key sensor (which only really needs to exist for the key damper function). But who knows!

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
JoBert Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Btw, just let me say I really enjoy these hypothetical musings. I imagine some engineers from Kawai and Yamaha sitting back in a chair with a hot mug of coffee, browsing through these threads and rolling their eyes thinking "psshht, amateurs!"
LOL, I can see that! And the other forum members rolling their eyes, thinking "psshht, fanatics!"... crazy
laugh

Gene, remember that you need three sensors: One sensor to sense "key down/up" to sense when the key is pressed and released, so that you know when the key damper is up/down, and two sensors to calculate velocity.
(I know, on two sensor DPs, the first sensor is used both for "damper up" and as the first velocity sensor, but newer DPs have three distinct sensors, and the first velocity sensor is lower (in terms of key travel) than the "damper up" sensor (usually at letoff).)

I can imagine how the optical sensor with the shutter that has this little "window" alone is already enough to measure velocity: When the shank flies up, first the upper edge interrupts the laser (=measurement starts) then the shank goes up more and the little window again opens the way for the laser, which is then interrupted again when the shank goes up even more and the lower edge now interrupts the laser (=second measurement). Thus you have the two measurements that you need to calculate velocity, from this single optical sensor.
So now you just need another sensor for key-down/damper-up. I think that's what the key sensor does in the AvantGrand. I'm not sure how that is done in the Kawai system. I'm pretty sure that there aren't any sensors under the keys in a place similar to the AvantGrand, so that sensor must be somewhere else. Maybe it's that second optical sensor on the hammer shank (the lower sensor with the simpler "windowless", fin like shutter).

Kawai Novus NV10
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Yeah, and you'd also have to account for the rebound as the hammer drops after hitting the silent rail, so it would need know the second set of interruptions should be ignored. Maybe that's what the continuous sensing does--it can more reliably tell upward versus downward velocity?

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
The whole talk here makes me realize how more natural the Alpha piano approach with the strain gages is. You just measure how hard the hammer hits it and that's it. And an an on/off switch for the keys (although a continuous control might still be better for a smooth damper release).

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
The Alpha sensors seem to be a cheaper approach than the optical sensors used by Novus/AvantGrand, but I assume that at some point the sensors on the Alpha would need to be maintained/replaced due to all the pounding from the hammer heads?
I was under the impression that the “touch-sensor-tech” used in the Alpha was proprietary and expensive, but it seems like it’s actually “cheap” and can be bought directly from the manufacturer (not Alpha). I wonder if we will see this tech in other digital pianos.
From a layman’s perspective it seems like a step closer to hammers striking strings in terms of replicating a piano’s mechanics; is it a better approach than optical sensors for registering, processing, and rendering, I ask the gurus?

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I am not an expert in any way - neither in piano mechanics stuff, nor electronics. (BTW, I have a degree in engineering physics with a specialization in semiconductors and optoelectronics, however due to numerous circumstances I've never practiced it and I was never keen on that education in the first place, and as a result, 20 years later, my knowledge on that matter is close to zero). On the other hand I researched a lot how I can create my own hybrid controller in the last few weeks.

So here's my layman's opinion on that. From what I gathered, the strain gages are resistive coils or similar flexible patterns that change their resistance in relation to force applied. From what I gathered so far, most of those are not very precise (I've seen quotes of 1% precision of max value, which would mean total of 100 steps detected? Which is less than 127 MIDI values and that's still if we assume we can generate force in the full range.). Another problem I've seen is with the time for reaction that doesn't seem to be instantaneous and in some other quotes I've seen is around 1ms but might be wrong due to the limited information I could obtain on that. All that made it clear to me, those would be unusable as piano sensors despite seemingly close to how real piano works: the hammer hits the string and it's the force of the hit that determines how loud the sound is. Anyway, later on I discovered how Alpha works and the link to the company. They state the sensors are specifically designed by (?) or at least manufactured with Alpha in mind so most probably they are much more precise than usual and faster reacting. However my first thought was the same like yours: how does the flexible part which seem like just an exposed PCB would endure constant pounding? Will it preserve its sensibility, calibration, precision? IMHO that's not the case. Maybe it will work 1 year? 2, 3? But ultimately that's a physical and relatively high-force contact and I am yet to see a material that could withstand it. Please note the typical digital piano sensors are only on/off switches and they still break. Let alone a flexible sensor that needs to provide consistent reading for the same force throughout its life.

Yamaha and Kawai are "old dogs" (that's a Bulgarian saying meaning very experienced laugh ) in the business and I doubt it they would put optical sensors if that wasn't the best solution to the problem.

B
B
Would be interesting to know if this applies to atx2 implementations.

Regardless of the precise details on the sensors it does sound like they're set just a little too low than would be ideal in the hammer's travel.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
@cybergene - several years ago I was looking to build a preamp which used LDRs as opposed to say pots to avoid physical contacts.

Some of the challenges were matching the LDRs and drift after a short time. This is not exactly on point but skim some posts as they might address some potential challenges for your DIY piano sensors:

http://www.diyaudioprojects.com/Solid/DIY-Lightspeed-Passive-Attenuator/

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analog-line-level/80194-lightspeed-attenuator-passive-preamp.html

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/anal...-volume-source-selection-controller.html

JoBert Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Bambers
Regardless of the precise details on the sensors it does sound like they're set just a little too low than would be ideal in the hammer's travel.

One could get that impression from our nerdy discussion here, but if you get right down to it, we do actually not have any indication for a less than ideal placement of the sensors, other than the questionable results of our "laboratory experiment". An experiment that was performed by amateurs, with only a rudimentary understanding of piano actions and sensors, in a "heck this is fun, let's try this!" fashion, and that does not even reflect an actual real life piano technique (to my knowledge).

So I would caution against reading too much into our discussions and experiments!

Kawai Novus NV10
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Absolutely agree here. Don't get caught up in the minuteae, unless that's where you really love to be. What really matters is how the piano responds to your playing.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CyberGene
The only picture of AvantGrand action I could find is this:
[Linked Image]

To me it seems there's only one optical shutter on the hammer shanks, in contrast to the NV10 where there are two sensors. And there are the optical sensors beneath the keys as on NU1. That makes me wonder if N-series actually measure real hammer velocity?

I do not see any sensor system beneath the key in that action image. That's not to say it doesn't exist, though...

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
James, I think it is the one that's under the first two counter-weights from the left, one that is attached with two screws to the base. But I assumed it must be optical sensors. Maybe it's just a structural thing? However I don't think I've seen something like that on acoustic piano actions.

CyberGene, ah, you might be right.

When I looked at that image initially, the metal parts that you're referring to appeared to be in line (in the Z-axis) with the wooden base of the action, and not immediately below he key itself.

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
G
G
Ans Uhr schon One (zentral Sensor Type) seems to be on the Hosmer itself (on top).

Page 23 of 302 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 301 302

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission