2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
57 members (36251, Augustina, APianistHasNoName, accordeur, Bostonmoores, c++, anotherscott, Coda9, 7 invisible), 1,426 guests, and 733 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
OP Offline
G
Maybe not so much nightmares but bad dreams for sure. I have this dream fairly often. I am walking through a mall (!) or someplace and encounter a piano store. I walk in and see all these amazing looking pianos with incredible cabinets. Enormous concert grands that look like something out of the future. Weird but beautifully detailed cabinets. Some that look like the old Wersi organs. And then I sit down to play...

Horrible tunings, rotten keys, missing keytops. All are unplayable and sound terrible. Some are weird things that only have white keys - no sharps. One only has a single octave of keys to play.

Of course I know where all these dreams came from: my experiences learning to play the piano as a child. My parents (bless them) had a huge upright with missing keytops and rusted strings. I have no idea of the brand. There wasn't a name on the fallboard and to be honest I never opened the lid. I don't ever remember it being tuned when I was living at home. I remember they told me that they had it tuned after I went off to college (by a blind piano tuner!). And yet somehow I learned to play on the blasted thing. How I longed for something like a Kimball spinet.

The only piano stores I went to were in the malls which we had to travel to on school trips since I grew up in a tiny Texas town. My buds would all run to Chick Fil-A or Spencer's or Radio Shack. I instead found the piano store and played everything I could. Once I was playing just normal stuff and one of the sharps broke off. I guess it was a cheap crap piano. The salesman yelled at me and called the security guard to throw me out.

My mother and her twin sister would haul us kids around to every little country church they could afford the gas to drive to. We went 3 or 4 nights a week. "George, come play the piano." Some were thankfully pretty decent but most were junky. We would sometimes go to services under open pavilions out in the countryside. One in particular had an old piano that was just left there exposed to the elements. A good handful of the keys wouldn't even move. "George come play while we sing." They'd start singing a song. "What key are we in?" I'd reply "Best I can tell, somewhere here in this crack."

I did have a good friend whose daddy was a lawyer. Every now and then I'd get to go to their house. They had a small Kawai grand piano. That was a dream to play for me. I had never even heard the name Steinway.

So I graduate high school and head off to Texas A&M. They had quite a few pianos on campus that we could play but most were pretty beat up. Even so they were the best I had played up to that point. In 1985 I was exploring the lower levels of the coliseum where among other things graduation was held. I found an open storeroom and peeked in. Under a cover was what looked like the grand piano that they hauled out once a year for the graduation ceremonies. I took the cover off and started playing. It was the absolute most wonderful instrument I had ever played. That room become my secret hideaway. It was a 1950s era Steinway Model B. I told my roommate about the piano so he could enjoy it also but no one else.

In the intervening years I have owned 7 other pianos, never quite having the means to get the one I really wanted.

Last Wednesday my dream came true. I think my bad piano dreams are over.

I'm not quite sure how to insert the picture but you can click this link to see it in the Pianoworld gallery:
Steinway Model B

T
T
I'm happy for you!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Wow, congratulations and sweet dreams!

Learner
R
R
Congrats!!! I love you story .

Mason-Hamlin "A" and Schlicker 2 manual and pedal pipe organ
A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
A pianistic love story with a happy ending, Congratulations! thumb

Steinway claims their Model B "is often referred to by pianists as the perfect piano". sick
Well, perfection doesn't exist in this world (outside of mathematics), but the Model B is a fine instrument nevertheless.

What year is your Model B?

Last edited by Almaviva; 01/18/18 05:47 PM.
G
OP Offline
G
As you might expect, it is a 1985 thus closing the loop. I wasn't looking for any particular year. Just something that I could afford that had that sweet tone I remembered from 33 years ago. Once I found one then realized the year, the decision was made.

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
Kismet! Congratulations, and thanks for telling your wonderful story!

[Linked Image]

"The great thing about music is if the plane goes down, everyone walks away."

-- David Bowie
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Yes, the story is wonderful..,, and your piano history will make your new B even more treasured. Here’s to many years of wonderful music!

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Fantastic! I'm envious (kind of) and think that must also be a rich acoustic environment for that instrument.

May it reward effort for many years!
F

PTG Associate Member
Haydn Hob. XVI: 23 in F major
Debussy Arabesque #1, Reverie
Bach BWV 874, 883
My beliefs are only that unless I can prove them.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Great story. Thanks

Kawai GX-2
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
A great way to end the bad dreams with a dream piano!

[Linked Image]
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by George Smith
My mother and her twin sister would haul us kids around to every little country church they could afford the gas to drive to. We went 3 or 4 nights a week. "George, come play the piano." Some were thankfully pretty decent but most were junky. We would sometimes go to services under open pavilions out in the countryside. One in particular had an old piano that was just left there exposed to the elements. A good handful of the keys wouldn't even move. "George come play while we sing." They'd start singing a song. "What key are we in?" I'd reply "Best I can tell, somewhere here in this crack."

I did have a good friend whose daddy was a lawyer. Every now and then I'd get to go to their house. They had a small Kawai grand piano. That was a dream to play for me. I had never even heard the name Steinway.

So I graduate high school and head off to Texas A&M. They had quite a few pianos on campus that we could play but most were pretty beat up. Even so they were the best I had played up to that point. In 1985 I was exploring the lower levels of the coliseum where among other things graduation was held. I found an open storeroom and peeked in. Under a cover was what looked like the grand piano that they hauled out once a year for the graduation ceremonies. I took the cover off and started playing. It was the absolute most wonderful instrument I had ever played. That room become my secret hideaway. It was a 1950s era Steinway Model B. I told my roommate about the piano so he could enjoy it also but no one else.

In the intervening years I have owned 7 other pianos, never quite having the means to get the one I really wanted.

Last Wednesday my dream came true. I think my bad piano dreams are over.

I can relate to the "church" part of your story. That describes my experiences to a tee. Also, the 1st really nice piano I remember playing was also a Steinway B in 1981 at the Roanoke Civic Center Performing Arts Center (now Berglund Center) in Roanoke, VA. Ironically, I bought my 1981 Steinway B last February. I just now realized that. Pretty cool. Thanks for sharing!

G
OP Offline
G
GC13 I think that many of us have similar stories. Also I appreciate the happy thoughts from everyone.

J
J
Congratulations and may you now dream of Carnegie Hall!
You should post more photos.
That looks like a great piano.

Proud owner of a Kawai KU-5D 52 inch professional upright.
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Wonderful - I wish you many years of happiness with your new piano!

[Linked Image]

Silver Supporter until Sept 10 2020
500 Post Club Member
Online Content

Silver Supporter until Sept 10 2020
500 Post Club Member
What a great story!

"Serena," my Estonia L168.
Loved this story. And that Steinway is a beauty. Congrats!

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Ten greatest Chopin works
by pianoloverus - 07/24/21 08:34 PM
KORG DS-1H pedal issues with Korg D1
by Mta88 - 07/24/21 04:28 PM
What is this musical symbol?
by pianoloverus - 07/24/21 02:55 PM
I Want To Be Happy
by Simon_b - 07/24/21 02:20 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,192
Posts3,116,054
Members102,225
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission