2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
44 members (barbaram, clothearednincompo, Frédéric L, apollo_ff, FinnP, chopin_r_us, FrankCox, Doug M., Burkey, BlizzardPiano, 9 invisible), 385 guests, and 549 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J
I love the internet.....it's an endless resource. If I had it when I started playing guitar 25 years ago, well.....I'm not here to dwell in the past. I love the internet......even while having a proper piano teacher, I use it often to find new music, answer odd questions, and, well, chat with you like-minded people.
I hate the internet.... Just when I'm so proud of what I think is a great accomplishment, I go online and see 100,000 other people that did it better and faster than I did, including a 4 year old. I hate the internet.......there's no shortage of people waiting in line to slap me down for expressing a though.

I joke.....really, but there's a bit of truth in there. My piano teacher tells me all these wonderful things about my playing. She really makes me feel as if I have something special. Then I come on the internet, and quickly feel small and insignificant. Not that any of that matters.....I'm following a dream, and I couldn't be more pleased with how well this last 10 months has gone. I never expected to be playing as many beautiful pieces as I am by this point. I'm looking at probably 10 well polished, quality pieces to finish out my first year. Sitting at the piano, I'm pure bliss. Sitting in front of this other keyboard however, I can't help but compare myself and my accomplishments to others. Perhaps I've found my new years resolution.

That is all.....thanks for reading my ramblings.

Currently working on:
Asturia (Leyenda) - Isaac Albeniz
Mia and Sabastian's Theme - Kyle Landry arrangement
also working on some vocal training

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
You're not alone in all of those feelings smile Sounds like we may be kindred spirits. Happy holidays, and I'm glad to see others so happy to have the gift of music!

Now learning: Chopin C# minor Nocturne (posth), Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, R. Schumann Fantasy Dance, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Kawai ES110, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by JayWalkingBlues
Just when I'm so proud of what I think is a great accomplishment, I go online and see 100,000 other people that did it better and faster than I did

Doc, it hurts when I do this !

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
... I couldn't be more pleased with how well this last 10 months has gone. I never expected to be playing as many beautiful pieces as I am by this point. I'm looking at probably 10 well polished, quality pieces to finish out my first year. Sitting at the piano, I'm pure bliss....

Enjoy your successes! smile

Sitting in front of this other keyboard however, I can't help but compare myself and my accomplishments to others.

Enjoy their successes! smile

Enjoy the internet while we still have it. Who knows when it will be taken away? mad

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
Silver Subscriber
Silver Subscriber
If I'm on the intertubes looking for a piece to listen to, and I see it's played by a six year old, I refuse to watch it. That way I only have the greats (or at least the really really more accomplished) to compare myself to so I don't have to feel bad.

Schumann - Sheherazade Op. 68 No 32, Ravel Prelude in A minor 1913, Scarlatti Sonata in D Minor K32/ Soundcloud

[Linked Image]
It wasn't the internet that got to me.....it was a recital in Oakland that got me. A bunch of little kids with small hands were phenomenal
players! I only wish that I had been able to start that young. Here I am 4 years later, and I still can't hold a candle to those little bastards. But all is well, I still love playing....even though I'm not very good. I play just for my own pleasure and satisfaction. During the rare occasion that someone overhears me (and proceeds to give me a compliment) I get a smile on my face.....but I don't look for opportunities to butcher my favorite rag time tunes in front of an audience.

Piano obsession started November 2010.
Ragtime Butcher
Kayserburg U123
[Linked Image]
OMG.....I said 4 years.....it's worse.....It's been about 7. Now I feel really bad!

Piano obsession started November 2010.
Ragtime Butcher
Kayserburg U123
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I totally hear you. Watching those kids does not inspire me one little bit. It just makes me annoyed.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A dose of realism never hurt anyone . . . . .OUCH!

As for me; entered Grammar school at 11, "A" stream. I was the clever one; piano teacher thought I was something special. Dad loved Chopin (I didn't and don't).
Got dumped to "B" stream at the first hurdle. Did well at "O" level results, aged 15 or so.
Did abysmal at "A" level 2 years later; I'd had enough. Scraped into college; failed exams.
Computer course whilst unemployed in my 40's; didn't qualify. Everybody else did.
Took Molly to dog club to teach her how to be a lady.
She was the only one who didn't get a certificate. She lunged at this German Shepherd just before the end of the exam.
And I don't think I'll ever be able to play "The Lark" . . . . . .

Life is fun. Piano is fun. Retirement is fun. Who cares about this other stuff? (Grin)

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
Do you know why playing piano is different from solving arithmetic sums? Because everyone gets different result and all of the results are correct. You can do your own interpretation of any piece, even the most simple one, and it would be unique in the whole universe. Someone plays it faster, someone plays it with different dynamics, different accents, different tone, but no one plays it like you do! Maybe the one who can play it two times faster would struggle for months to play final bars with your tone, or maybe he could never produce such tone at all! Remeber this and concentrate on making your own interpretations.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I love the internet...
I hate the internet.... Just when I'm so proud of what I think is a great accomplishment, I go online and see 100,000 other people that did it better and faster than I did, including a 4 year old. I hate the internet.......there's no shortage of people waiting in line to slap me down for expressing a though.
I joke.....really, but there's a bit of truth in there

I felt exactly like this many times, I recently saw a video that had a super WOW factor. when seeing some guy play in the a medley from "La la Land".
his hands went up the keyboard presto and he literally raised his hands to pounce on the keys.
I was impressed,.

But being there are many aspects of playing an instrument, and I stuck this long, 8 ( years not months ), smile I figure the benefits outweigh the rest.

maybe one day there will be a futuristic piano that hooks up like this ….
( A "back to the future" family playing piano)

MOM[Linked Image]
Dad with piano teach [img]https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRpXD1geu_HmsqURZxDLcu3CKlBYCWbPg43CwzP1Al_y_rho6Da[/img]
Child with Chopin's piano score
[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Besides having resources that are easily accessible, it also gives someone who is an amateur "no-name" musician an outlet to feature video performances like millions of other amateur musicians without the expectations any of the video uploads would go viral. We all share a passion for music. At the same time we know a popular piece "Minuet in G" from the Notebook for Anna M Bach would have hundreds of video uploads so don't exact any of the performances to show much originality.

And you occasionally come across videos posted by an amateur pianist (mainly self-taught) who started from 0, picked up a song book started tracking his/her progress in 3 months, 6 months, a year, etc. Some amateur performances are quite impressive after someone started practicing for barely a year and a half.

The last piece I posted was a Christmas hymn "In the Bleak Midwinter" by Gustav Holst. There are already video performances online. The reason for posting is to celebrate the spirit of Christmas regardless how many videos of the piece have already been posted.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
in a recent unrelated post on this site Bennevis talked about piano using running as an analogy which I found very accurate. You might find, (or already have done so), find yourself one day training and entering a marathon. All the hours of lonely training change to what seems like thousands of entrants on race day. Many will pass you, but many won't and you might be happy being in the middle somewhere. No matter what the placing you will still be in a relatively small percentage of the population who ever complete a marathon and that is something to smile about.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
All joking aside, there are many reasons that piano playing and associated resources like the Internet are things one might love to hate.
I have an old 1965 USSM piano course that has many comments and motivational tips scattered throughout.
Those tips address the most common types of reasons student's practice sessions are "hard," or why people might want to quit playing.
If you don’t have a teacher, reading the course manual does help to validate feelings I assume a lot of pupils feel when learning challenging pieces.
I thought to post this one lesson page as an example.(the small pic is clickable and enlarges once on the page.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Normally hate to get into a controversial subject but this comes up a lot a few years ago. Many young students posted their music performances online on popular social media sites like YouTube. And below the video are all the comments. A few videos have gone viral and there was a lot of racial stereotyping but more or less cleaned up. You see videos of young performers who look "Asia" including Koreans, Japanese & Chinese you get comments like their parents pushed them to play music / into taking lessons sort of thing but someone from a different ethnic group playing similar pieces you are likely to find positive comments on how good their playing was.

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
VST velocity level questions
by Animisha - 05/18/21 03:17 AM
James compares Kawai ES110, 520, and 920
by RinTin - 05/18/21 01:54 AM
Op. 61
by chopinetto - 05/18/21 12:34 AM
Please help me to identify this song
by patto81 - 05/17/21 10:09 PM
Kawai GE 1 vs Yamaha GB1K
by Lissplayspiano - 05/17/21 09:20 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,000
Posts3,094,771
Members101,546
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission