2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Dalem01, Cheeeeee, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Dfrankjazz, Carey, 7 invisible), 2,075 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2679163 10/02/17 02:36 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Everything is revealed today...

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
R
R
Genos is an arranger keyboard and will replace the Tyros. Sweetwater Music is listing it for $5500 USD. The Tyros is also in that price range, I can't explain the price. The Tyros is popular with the one man band performer and that is the market for the Genos.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E

T
OP Offline
T
I am surprised that there has been so few comments on PW regering the new Yamaha keyboard, the Genos. It must be the most advanced arranger keyboard today. A lot of demos is on YT and many people think that the UI and the sounds are very good. I`m sure some of the new stuff will trickle down to other Yamaha-products. So there would be more interest overall.

I`m aware that PW is a Kawai fan club in many ways. Yesterday most of the threads on the first page was dominated by Kawai and today I think it will be even more...

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by tangothomas
Yesterday most of the threads on the first page was dominated by Kawai and today I think it will be even more...

Sorry about that. It wasn't my intention to spam the forum, however I was away from the action for a little while, so wished to respond to the posts that I had missed in which customer had asked questions.

Regarding the Genos, I'm sure it will be an excellent product, however I'm personally more interested in digital pianos and stage pianos that arrangers/workstations.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kawai James

Regarding the Genos, I'm sure it will be an excellent product, however I'm personally more interested in digital pianos and stage pianos that arrangers/workstations.

This.

It is a piano forum here, so can't see why would anyone be bothered that we're discussing digital pianos much more than arrangers. There are so many synth/arranger forums on the Internet.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
For arranger keyboards, Synthzone is the best place to go: http://www.synthzone.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/37/1/General_Arranger_Keyboard_Foru

But it's nice to bring it up here. If I had, $5000, I would buy the Genos.

Roland FP-90; Pianoteq 6 + many add-ons; 2 Yamaha HS8s; ATH-M50X and Samson SR850 headphones; Xenyx Q802USB interface. 2; I make a living playing a Yamaha PSR-S970 with FBT Maxx 2a's, Crowne Headset Mic. I also play guitar.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The new Genos is fantastic, but the release has been very "ho hum" un-exciting. It's a very incremental upgrade (to a very good keyboard) - so not much to say other than that. The videos I've seen seem to all start with the most boring thing about it - how it looks and all the gee whiz neato buttons, main functions seem almost identical to the Tyros except for minor upgrades and finessing.

I used a borrowed S950 at my weekly gig, (1x step down from the Tyros) it works great in a live setting. My plan has always been to have a digital piano with a decent arranger next it like the newer S970, they would compliment each other quite well.

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by tangothomas
I am surprised that there has been so few comments on PW regering the new Yamaha keyboard, the Genos. It must be the most advanced arranger keyboard today. A lot of demos is on YT and many people think that the UI and the sounds are very good. I`m sure some of the new stuff will trickle down to other Yamaha-products. So there would be more interest overall.

I`m aware that PW is a Kawai fan club in many ways. Yesterday most of the threads on the first page was dominated by Kawai and today I think it will be even more...

One of the reasons is that Yamaha don't bother to send a rep here. That's entirely their choice, but as a result of that and the fact that Kawai DP keyboard actions in particular have been widely praised, it's not surprising that PW is something of a Kawai fan club. We do try to give them a hard time as well sometimes, though. laugh

Broadwood, Yamaha U1; Kawai CA67; Pianoteq Std (D4, K2, Blüthner, Grotrian), Garritan CFX Full, Galaxy Vintage D, The Grandeur, Ravenscroft 275, Ivory II ACD, TrueKeys Italian, AS C7, Production Grand Compact, AK Studio Grand, AK Upright, Waves Grand Rhapsody; Sennheiser HD-600 and HD-650, O2 amp
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
As far as digital pianos, the Yamahas aren't that competitive in the under $3000 price range.

In the field of arrangers, they are the most popular brand. Part of the reason that Genos is so expensive is that Yamaha hires dozens of musicians and sound engineers from all over the world to create the arranger styles. That's just one reason.

Roland FP-90; Pianoteq 6 + many add-ons; 2 Yamaha HS8s; ATH-M50X and Samson SR850 headphones; Xenyx Q802USB interface. 2; I make a living playing a Yamaha PSR-S970 with FBT Maxx 2a's, Crowne Headset Mic. I also play guitar.
T
OP Offline
T
I now this is Piano World and what dominates, but this forum also has synths & keyboards included so thats why I started this thread. Sorry to intrude.

I am sure Kawai make good products and many of you seem happy with your choice. Two years ago I was planning to buy ES7 but could not find any dealer in my part of Sweden that sold them.
And then the ES8 came out and I took 3 days off to go to the capital, Stockholm, as I found out that it was a shop that carried the Kawai line and also Steinways and other expensive APs.

During my visit in Stockholm I also playtested Rolands and Yamahas products and it ended up with Yamahas CVP 709.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
I don't feel like you intruded, but there are a lot of active discussions of the Genos at Synthzone, and the people there really know a lot about arrangers. Even though I play an arranger professionally, I've gotten more into playing digital piano in my free time, but if I have an arranger question, that's where I go.

But I think it's good to mention new arrangers and synths here for the people who are also interested in those.

R
R
I expect to see as many Genos threads and comments as we have seen on the Tyros. This particular thread has not included much about the instrument, I mentioned the street price and the model it was replacing. Those who seem perplexed at a lack of discussion on the Genos, can't stop talking about Kawai.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by CyberGene
It is a piano forum here, so can't see why would anyone be bothered that we're discussing digital pianos much more than arrangers. There are so many synth/arranger forums on the Internet.

Kind of schizo situation here: the forum home page is called "pianoworld" but this forum is called "Digital Pianos - Synths & Keyboards" so arrangers are on topic. smile

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/contents/keyboards/arranger_workstations/genos/

Yamaha seems to be classifying the Genos as an Arranger and Workstation. With the Montage (successor to the Motif) now defined as more of a performance synth than workstation, it appears they folded aspects of their Motif and Tyros lines into the Genos. Focus is on Creation and Performance.

Start from the original idea of a song, pick an instrument Voice and Style of your choice. Play and work out the arrangement and capture it as a MIDI song. Then, overdub some sounds and create your demo or even your finished track.

Wide variety of functions can be assigned to the 6 knobs and 9 sliders to control your music through Genos. The Live Control view provides instant visual confirmation of your adjustments of knobs and sliders without interrupting the main display.

FSX keyboard features a premium action with aftertouch. The keys are created in a high-precision manufacturing process for an incredibly durable keybed, enhanced key stability and "fast" action. The keyboard features enhanced touch response allowing for highly expressive and dynamic performances.

From Reverb to Distortion, Rotary Speaker to Compressor, Genos boasts unprecedented DSP power. Using the same VCM technology found in Yamaha professional high-end mixing consoles, Genos has the tools to create a the perfect sound. Not only do the effects sound great, they look great too—with a stunning graphical user interface.

You can continually expand the onboard content of your Genos by creating and installing your own custom or purchased Packs. The scope of possibilities for new sounds and styles is virtually unlimited. Genos includes 1.8GB of user flash memory with high speed reading/writing for your own Voices. Yamaha Expansion Manager version 2.5 for Genos will be available from November.

The audio output of Genos has been completely redesigned to deliver professional quality Analogue outputs helping you get the most of the sounds from your keyboard. The new 32bit Digital Audio Converter (DAC) provides high quality defined sound across a wide frequency range, ensuring Genos always cuts through the mix.

Customise Live Control and store in Registration Memory.

Arpeggio Filter Control automates Live Control, adjusting filters in realtime.

Playlist -create, easily organise the list, instanly recall settings.

Audio Link MultiPad - trigger your own audio files with MultiPads.

Voices: CFX ConcertGrand, 70sSuitcaseWarm1, OrganFlutes, AltoSax, MiniClassicSoft.

Martin Harris Demos

Originally Posted by karvala
One of the reasons is that Yamaha don't bother to send a rep here.

Just to clarify, I joined the forum (over 10 years ago...wow!) on my own steam, as I believed it would be beneficial to my work, not because Kawai Japan instructed me to do so. This might seem a little strange, but I actually rather enjoy participating in the various discussions here, and would probably continue to do even I wasn't working for Kawai.

Anyway, sorry for the off-topic post...

Back on topic, thanks for all that info Elmer!

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission