2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Advanced Piano Tricks
Advanced Piano Tricks
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
76 members (Andrew E., Beemer, Animisha, accordeur, ando, Alex Hutor, An Old Square, 19 invisible), 637 guests, and 396 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2672881 09/04/17 11:44 PM
B
OP Offline
B
The following YouTube video advises students to record their playing to improve their skills.

I want to know which application should be used to record the audio?

Also, I am wondering whether students should do video recording, instead of audio recording. As video recording may show the posture mistakes as well.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
To get a decent audio recording of an acoustic piano, you can use a self-contained digital recorder like a Zoom H2.

Put it on a tripod or mic stand, near your head.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
for my digital where I use a VST for the sound, I can record straight to my computer.

for my acoustic I have a Zoom H4n pro which is a superb device. However I seldom record myself; my pieces take a long time to get to the point where I find listening to them with a critical ear will help. Of course I have found it nice to have a series of recordings which documents the progression of any one piece, and a dossier of overall progress throughout my nearly five years learning.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A
A
Right now I record straight from my digital piano to Audacity. I used to do video recordings but the upstairs neighbors are so loud with their stomping and dropping things constantly makes that impossible for me now. I am working on saving up for an 8 track recorder (I play other instruments and make my own music) that I will probably switch over to for audio recordings.

[Linked Image][Linked Image] XXXVII-XXXIX

Casio Privia PX-160
Yamaha PSR-160
Piano Playing since November 2014
M
M
If you have a digital piano, Audacity, VST or any other free app are usually enough. They can also perform some basic editing (like clipping, rough noise reduction, basic reverb, etc).

If you want to edit audio and produce something more elaborate, I recommend Reaper. It's a DAW (digital audio workstation) that can be used for professional editing and mixing (and much more) that comes with a 60-days free trial with full functionality. But it's also a lot more complex, of course.

If you want to record decently from an acoustic instrument, you'd need something like Zoom H2, which is great for its cost... but not exactly cheap.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I did a video for the last ABF quarterly recital. First one I have done in years. Way too much trouble, because the video audio is poor and I have to sync the much better audio from the Zoom.

I use a Zoom H4n on a cheap camera tripod for the audio. Then audacity to trim the dead space before and after and convert to mp3 and that's it. Very quick and efficient for audio only recordings.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I use a Zoom Q4HD to record audio and video. I does a great job, and you can choose the format for both the audio and video quality. I have H4N for just audio recording, but I like to see what my hands are doing and what I might improve.

B
OP Offline
B
Thank you all. It seems people here mostly use Zoom field recording devices, not just a microphone for the studios.

T
T
I've been using Audacity (MacBook) and an Audio-Technica AT2020 USB microphone and a boom microphone stand but more recently I simply put my new laptop on the piano and record with some random software (WAVES Maxx Audio Pro) that came with the computer. I feel that all the technical stuff prevented me from actually recording myself. I never warmed up to my Zoom-like TASCAM DR-40 because I had to either listen with headsets (the little loudspeaker is not good) or transfer files, which was--for me--already too much trouble. I guess it makes a difference whether you want to get some quick feedback or a more permanent recording. Haven't used video in years.

Oliver
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Baroque Style
Thank you all. It seems people here mostly use Zoom field recording devices, not just a microphone for the studios.

The Zoom H2 (and higher models -- I don't know about the H1) has reasonably-good condenser microphones, mic preamps, and a high-performance "audio interface" (analog-to-digital / digital-to-analog converter), as well as recording firmware. It's nicely integrated, in a hand-sized package..

It will give you a digitized audio file (".WAV" format), that you can easily clean-up, and compress to MP3, using Audacity.

You _could_ record onto a smartphone (either Android or Apple has inexpensive recording apps), but the quality is not nearly as good as the Zoom.

You could buy all the pieces separately, but you'd spend more money, and you'd have to learn a bit more. If you got one or two (for stereo) "studio mics", your first question would be:

. . . "Where do I plug these into my computer?"

and your next purchase would be an "audio interface" with mic preamps, and the mic-to-preamp cables.

It all adds up.

Last edited by Charles Cohen; 09/06/17 12:47 AM.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

Recording can be done at a variety of levels.

The "Voice Memos" app on an ordinary iPhone can make recordings that are plenty adequate to show you where you have undetected hesitations.

I have Audacity on my computers, depending on the microphone you add, a major step up from the iPhone.

Then you can get into the thousands of dollars and get prosumer microphones and a digital recorder from Sound Devices.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Have a Yamaha 88 keyboard at home. The record button on top comes in handy. The recording stays in memory until the next time you record. Can transfer the playback to another recording device for permanent storage.

If you do a video recording, mount a phone or camera on a tripod at an angle you can see your fingers playing. Don't need a high resolution recording to record your fingerings.

I also used the Zoom H4n recorder for when I want to record from the acoustic piano. On the DP (Clavinova), I use the built-in recorder, either straight audio output or convert MIDI to audio. That's handy if I want to avoid ambient noise in the recording, such as my cat telling me I played the wrong note in bar 4 and she just won't shut up about it.

One feature of the built-in recording system on the DP is that I can crank up the tempo on re-playing it from the recorder, keeping the pitch. I found it surprisingly encouraging when I was practising slowly, to give me an idea what it will sound like as I gradually get the speed up through practice.

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
>I want to know which application should be used to record the audio?

For training, it doesn't matter as long as you can hear the dynamics. Doesn't even have to be stereo. Any video camera, tape recorder, mobile phone app, your laptop. whatever. As long as it has manual volume control (not automatic). Some devices eg mobile phone you may have to install an app to get that manual volume control

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!

Free Piano Lovers Newsletter is out now!
Piano News 2021 - 2022!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pratt Reed Grand Piano Action
by Rburt53 - 01/18/22 07:41 AM
Happy birthday, Sam!
by jotur - 01/18/22 06:11 AM
Book Recommendations
by Qazsedcft - 01/18/22 03:53 AM
Novus 5 no "fading effect" after release
by Usheraname - 01/18/22 02:38 AM
Digital pianos - starting time
by JosefPirkl - 01/18/22 01:30 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics211,202
Posts3,161,733
Members104,057
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission