2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
54 members (716GoBills, august112, BachToTheFuture, bobrunyan, Abdol, 8ude, AlphaTerminus, BeowulfX, anotherscott, 9 invisible), 880 guests, and 514 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2665884 08/03/17 11:41 AM
A
amad23 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hi,
I plan to update my piano. But a little confused in the variety of assortment and an attempt to save money. Tell me, what is the opinion on the quality of the following keys PHA-4 (Roland FP-30), RH3 (Kawai), TP40Wood (Fatar)? What is better, what is worse for studying piano beginners?

Last edited by amad23; 08/03/17 04:04 PM.

Kawai CN25 (MIDI) + Garritan CFX Lite, The Grandeur, Pianoteq6 (demo)
i7/16Gb + Infrasonic Quartet (PCI)
Sherwood + Wharfdale 9.1
Beta 22 + Sennheiser HD 800, HD 650, Audeze LCD-2, HiFiMAN HE-6.
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
They're all okay. I think you mean Kawai RH3.

I'd put the Fatar TP40-Wood action and the Kawai action on a similar level with Kawai being slightly superior in my opinion (but TP40-Wood is Fatar's best action and is very good).

The action in the FP30 is also good but it is Roland's entry level piano. Roland used to have a bewildering array of actions, especially at the lower levels, but they seem to have standardised around the PHA-4 for their cheaper products now.

My ranking:

1.Kawai RH3
2. Fatar TP40-Wood
3. Roland PHA-4

Cheers,

Steve

A
amad23 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
You are right, this is RH3. I will fix it.

Sherwood + Wharfdale 9.1
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I have found, to compound the situation, that the action feel depends mainly on the piano being played; the engine, software, whatever. And less on the mechanics of the action itself, important though they are.
Now, i got this Roland Ivory feel "G" (what a stupid name) on my FP50 which has been changed thankfully before I got it.. It now seems identical to PHA-4 found on the FP30. Apparently, the escapement addition brought about other changes too. But Roland like to confuse us with terminology.
In answer to your question, they're all good to go. I'm very 'appy wi mine. Kawai's RH£ is really good too.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by peterws
I have found, to compound the situation, that the action feel depends mainly on the piano being played; the engine, software, whatever. And less on the mechanics of the action itself, important though they are.

Yes, very true. And the chassis the action is installed in. They all make a contribution to the overall feel.

A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by amad23
Hi,
I plan to update my piano. But a little confused in the variety of assortment and an attempt to save money. Tell me, what is the opinion on the quality of the following keys PHA-4 (Roland FP-30), RH3 (Kawai), TP40Wood (Fatar)? What is better, what is worse for studying piano beginners?

Opinions about actions are very subjective (something also true about "real" pianos), though most people would probably agree that these companies' higher end boards are generally better than their lower end boards. Though for a beginner, I'd even say that your PX110 is suitable. If you want something better, there is really no substitute for getting your own fingers on them. But in terms of getting opinions, it might help to know in what way you are finding the PX110 unsatisfactory.

A
amad23 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
anotherscott
In my Casio PX-110 I do not like:
1. Some keys sound much louder than others. I repaired the device 2 times, but I did not eliminate the cause.
2. It's very difficult to press the keys close to their start.
3. The keys are slippery.
4. It is difficult to play pp.
5. The keys are tapping loudly.
Perhaps most of the problems arise from the lack of skills in the game. Therefore, my last argument, I want to immediately get used to a good keyboard.

Sherwood + Wharfdale 9.1
T
T
The action in the FP-30 is PHA-4 Standard, not to be confused with the PHA-4 Concert/Premium in the higher end models. Roland loves to mess with our heads.

Roland RD-700NX // Casio PX-5S // Galaxy Vintage D
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by torhu
The action in the FP-30 is PHA-4 Standard, not to be confused with the PHA-4 Concert/Premium in the higher end models. Roland loves to mess with our heads.

Yes! This. They even used the word 'standard' before on the FP7F (PHA-3-S). That was an original PHA-3 but with one colour plastic keys as opposed to the fake wood sides they used for a while. The original PHA-4 was a development of the PHA-3 in the V-Piano and their other top-end stuff and was their premium action as fitted to the RD-800 etc. Then they started using words like 'deluxe' and 'concert' tacked on to the name of whatever the action was.

Now PHA-4 means something different. It's a new name for the cheaper Roland action that used to be called Ivory-Feel-G and before that PHA-Alpha something or other. Deliberate obfuscation!

As an owner of both a PHA4 Concert model and RH2 model, it took a good year or so of alternating between playing each that the difference in feel between the two actions became apparent. This year was also the period of second to third since starting beginner's lessons, so this definitely had influence as my overall learning a sense of feel continued to develop.

In short, the Roland is a firmer/stiffer action which I have difficulty in consistently playing p and pp. The Kawai is softer, just feels more nimble and overall gives a better sense of connection between working the action and sound produced. These are two distinctly different models of DP - the main reason I have them 🙂 - and there are likeable features/advantages each has that the other does not. As a result, I spend most of my practice time on the Roland and play the Kawai for polishing pieces.

I have not tried the newer RH3 but have read reviews in which some claim to like it over the RH2 while others prefer the RH2. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited by drewr; 08/04/17 08:58 PM.

- Kawai MP7 w/ MDR7506 phones and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Don't buy a Focusrite.
by Christopher90 - 06/25/21 07:35 AM
Smaller Room - Grand Lid Down?
by brdwyguy - 06/25/21 06:46 AM
Break-ups are hard
by Athdara - 06/24/21 11:54 PM
(Question) VST-applied MIDI and live-recorded VST
by Saberlarry - 06/24/21 11:39 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,694
Posts3,107,124
Members101,903
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission