2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Talking about Pop Bands here. Are keyboards / pianos / organs strictly secondary instruments? You know. Rhythm sections only. Or. Can they be lead instruments too? You know. Providing the melody. Chord progressions. All that.

If keyboards were to be in the rhythm section could other keyboards be the lead too at the same time?

How about the other way round? i am such a n00b pianist / keyboardist / organist. Just wondering. Guitars can be both lead and rhythm at the same time. Have A Nice Day :-)

R
R
When I read that pianos are being used as part of the rhythm section, I'm so glad I'm not into pop music.

3 Free Voluntaries for Harpsichord or Piano
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Victor Silvester always had 2. One provided what he called the "lemonade", whilst the other provided the melody.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
At my house, the piano is always the lead instrument; or at least most of the time. smile

As part of a pop band, it usually plays the role of both; rhythm most of the time, and lead when it's their time.

I was watching a documentary about Michael Jackson's last rehearsals before his last performance before he died, and it looked to me like the digital piano/synthesizer was pretty much the lead instrument. I saw a bass guitarist, and a drummer, but no lead/rhythm guitarist at all. The synth did all the lead work.

I think it depends on the individual band. Most have a keyboard/organ of some kind, and it does take the lead. One instrument can't lead all the time. But don't tell that to a lead guitarist. smile

I play many pop tunes on the piano that I've never heard played on a piano. Anything played on a lead guitar can be played on a piano in some form or fashion. At least in my view...

Here is an example: Runaway Boogie...

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
This sounds like a good question for Elton John or Billy Joel? But more seriously, they use their pianos both ways depending on what they're doing - sometimes lead, sometimes rhythm. They have that choice.

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

Um, the thing about keyboards is that you don't *need* a band. You get melody, harmony and rhythm, plus there's nobody to break up with.... ;-)

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by David Farley
This sounds like a good question for Elton John or Billy Joel? But more seriously, they use their pianos both ways depending on what they're doing - sometimes lead, sometimes rhythm. They have that choice.

I'm not much into pop music, but it looks to me like piano plays a pivotal role in many bands. From Simon and Garfunkel (bridge over troubled waters) to the Beetles (Imagine) to Lady Gaga (here she is doing a live acoustic with only piano https://youtu.be/oP8SrlbpJ5A).

Piano has a solid claim to the title "king of instruments."

Pianist and Piano Teacher
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
There's a Dave Chappelle experiment. 😀 (uncensored)

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Rowy van Hest
When I read that pianos are being used as part of the rhythm section, I'm so glad I'm not into pop music.

Don't know whether you're serious or not LoL ;-)

OP Offline
Thank you all for your feedbacks. Just want to let you guys know that I am not into Pop either. I am into Rock and Contemporary Folk. I play most instrument needed quite okay. Except for piano which I can only play with one hand and with just three fingers at a time.

We are currently expanding our repertoire. By including Pop. More so Bubblegum Pop and Pop Ballad. Not much else.

I am currently rythym guitar and second vocals. Drummer is a drummer. Typical lead guitar player. Bassist is the lead singer and frontman.

Still thinking whether it is possible for me to get a portable digital piano and still maintain in the rhythm section. While the bassist goes for a very small - sized acoustic upright / console / studio? That as the lead instrument. Still with lead vocals. Still being frontdude of the freaking band. While lead guitar player will be relegated to bass duties.

I don't know whether I have the guts to say all of these things to the lead guitar player's face anyway.. He would be pissed if I did I believed.

Just want to know whether it is possible for pianos to be lead and rhythm but not just that must be at the same time too.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission