2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
52 members (1957, Abdol, Dakota, Bostonmoores, burmashave, Augustina, agent8698, BlakeOR, 11 invisible), 1,381 guests, and 702 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
OP Offline
G
Hi all,

I was looking at used digital pianos in my local music store. I wanted something with weighted keys, 88 keys, and portable (wanted an acoustic piano feeling, may use it for gigs). I found Casio CDP-100 on sale for $200 and Yamaha P-115 for $500, both in great conditions. Yamaha P-115 seemed like a much better product, but then would it be worth to pay that much more for it when I can get Casio CDP-100 for $200? Any advice?

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Assuming you like the action, the P-115 is the better piano. The piano sound is much better than the CASIO. There are more voices and even rhythms. I would spend $300 more for the Yahama. The CDP-100 is an entry level board. Nothing wrong with it its just more basic.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Since you say you might gig, one benefit of the CDP-100 is that it has real MIDI ports instead of USB, which allows you to better integrate it into a multi-device live rig. For example, if you got a second keyboard, you could also drive its sounds from the CDP-100... in most cases you cannot do that with the P115. Another benefit of the CDP-100 is that, if you decide you'd like to upgrade to something better a year from now, you'll probably be able to get your $200 back for it, you're not going to so easily get $500 back on the P115.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I am not a fan of cheap pianos---Yamaha P115, Roland FP-30, Casio PX160, Kawai ES110 etc---and even less a fan of ancient cheap digital pianos like the CDP-100. However, if my budget was strictly limited, and my deadline for purchase rather imminent, I'd try out those 4 mentioned pianos and pick the one I liked the best.

one benefit of the CDP-100 is that it has real MIDI ports instead of USB

Yes, this isn't really an advantage; however, if it were, the Kawai ES110 comes with midi ports, a better action and better quality sounds. Real midi ports was thought so much of an advantage, that Roland didn't even bother to include it in their FP-30. I'm not sure what advantage you get having real midi ports, except maybe the ability to interface with old music equipment.

Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7SE; Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Doug M.
one benefit of the CDP-100 is that it has real MIDI ports instead of USB

Yes, this isn't really an advantage; however, if it were, the Kawai ES110 comes with midi ports, a better action and better quality sounds. Real midi ports was thought so much of an advantage, that Roland didn't even bother to include it in their FP-30. I'm not sure what advantage you get having real midi ports, except maybe the ability to interface with old music equipment.

Yes, ES110 has MIDI ports, as do many other boards, but ES110 is more than triple the price he can get the CDP-100 for.

As I mentioned, the advantage is for gigging. It's a more professional feature than you typically find on low-end pianos these days. It is rare to find a high end portable keyboard without it.

Gigging musicians very often have setups that include 2 (or possibly even more) boards. With MIDI ports, they can be connected together, which can provide numerous benefits, from layering of sounds, to being able to change all your sounds simultaneously from just one of the boards (depending on the features of the board), to being able to play any sound at your disposal from your choice of action/key range.

For example, I have a Nord Electro E5D which is a great board for organ, but it also has great piano sounds. I usually play its piano sounds from an attached Casio 88.The combination of the two boards is very lightweight, and I have all the sounds in my rig playing from the kind of action I prefer for that sound.

ETA: Gigging musicians also sometime bring other gear (besides other keyboards), that also gets connected via standard MIDI ports. A lot of it may be older, as you suggest, but there are new pieces as well, like the Roland Integra7, or their Boutique synthesizer modules like the JP-08. And don't dismiss "old music equipment"... older gear can still be very useful, and can often be picked up used at good prices, too.

Last edited by anotherscott; 07/12/17 07:43 AM.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Titanic Piano
by Dakota - 07/24/21 11:50 PM
Ten greatest Chopin works
by pianoloverus - 07/24/21 08:34 PM
KORG DS-1H pedal issues with Korg D1
by Mta88 - 07/24/21 04:28 PM
What is this musical symbol?
by pianoloverus - 07/24/21 02:55 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,192
Posts3,116,065
Members102,225
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission