2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
53 members (brdwyguy, Christopher90, anotherscott, 716GoBills, Carey, 36251, AdamJ, Curt-S, 13 invisible), 893 guests, and 481 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Well, turns out we are moving sooner than I expected, so I need to give my students a "two week notice"!

How do I say goodbye to my students? I am very fond of all of them, and I have had all of them for less than a year, so I am afraid there will be some upset parents and students. What would you do? With some students, in particular the very young ones, I feel we have barely made progress and I was wanting to change directions but now we are leaving. I feel really bad about this.

I am considering breaking the news during the lesson this week that the following week will be the last lesson, and handing them a letter that says goodbye and also has recommendations on it.

~piano teacher in training~
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by hello my name is
Well, turns out we are moving sooner than I expected, so I need to give my students a "two week notice"!

I had a lot of teachers over the years because I was part of a military family and I moved around every few years.

When I was a pup of around 14, I had a teacher move away from me instead of the other way around. She wrote me a nice, really encouraging note, which I kept and which I have right here beside me. I still read it when I'm feeling low. She gave me a pocket music dictionary at the same time, but the letter is what I have come to treasure.

(I've looked around online to see if she's still teaching, but, alas, I've found nothing frown )

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Whiz bang
The personal note is such a wonderful thing for your teacher to have done...... I wish I would've gotten a letter from my childhood teacher; I would still have it as well

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
By all means tell them this week, before their last lesson. You can give them the farewell letter at the final lesson. If you have time to find a small parting gift that relates to music, like whizbang's pocket dictionary, that would be a nice memento. Maybe a bookmark or a pen with a musical motif. (I don't know if anyone knows what bookmarks or pens are anymore, but never mind.)

Tell them this is not easy for you. If there are a few tears at each last lesson, so much the better. Piano teaching is very personal, and endings are hard.

W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Peter K. Mose
(I don't know if anyone knows what bookmarks or pens are anymore, but never mind.)

Of course they do! On my iPad, I frequently use my Apple pen to set bookmarks in Safari! Duh.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Bookmark, AKA quitter strip.

gotta go practice
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Whizbang

I had a lot of teachers over the years because I was part of a military family and I moved around every few years.

When I was a pup of around 14, I had a teacher move away from me instead of the other way around. She wrote me a nice, really encouraging note, which I kept and which I have right here beside me. I still read it when I'm feeling low. She gave me a pocket music dictionary at the same time, but the letter is what I have come to treasure.

(I've looked around online to see if she's still teaching, but, alas, I've found nothing frown )

May I ask, what does the note say? smile

W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
May I ask, what does the note say? smile

Originally Posted by My piano teacher

How I have enjoyed, and do appreciate, the privilege of working with you these past two years. You are a fine student with much musical sensitivity. I hope you will continue to cultivate this gift that God has given you.

Never stopped.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
M
M
My teacher invites students to play something they liked at the final lesson. Personal note is great!

many hands many smiles

Big Mama Yama U1
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
So I told a number of my students already. They all took it relatively well, although one felt like we were just getting started and was wondering where he can find a teacher who structures lessons like I do (err... or lack of structure methinks?) and the little girl today had tears welling up in her eyes. Her mom was there, but I didn't know what to do. Thankfully she was able to compose herself and distract herself quickly. I'm wondering what should I do for the last lessons. One of my students already asked if I can play for him during our last lesson, which I find funny cause to me my playing is not a big deal, but he finds it fascinating (aw). For the others, I'm not sure what to do. I still want it to be educational for them, but special as well.

Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
It doesn't look you have received any replies ......i'm not a teacher so you can take this with a grain of salt

I would ask your students to play one of their favorite pieces, I would play one for them, and ask them to tell you what is one of the best things They have learned, and what is one thing they still have a question about

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Dear Piano teacher in training. Depending on the age of the child I think it would be good to tell the parent and the student together. If there is a teacher taking your place, speak positively about that person and inform the family the new teacher is looking forward to meeting all of you. Maybe provide some information about the new teacher. You may also want to brief the new teacher on the children. It is hard losing a teacher, I had theory lessons with the same teacher for 2 and a half years, he went on to to accomplish other things in his life.

I taught online nursing for 5 years, after completing my PhD I decided to pursue piano again. I played piano and violin as a child. I had several students who seen what I was teaching enrolled in my classes if it was part of their curriculum. I e-mailed those followers and explained the time has come for me to work on myself and pursue a passion of mine.

I think it is a matter of how you phrase it. If you do not have a replacement, I would offer some options of other schools/teachers and maybe call those schools to see if they are accepting new students. You may want provide a list of schools with a contact person listed. Hope this helps!

Deb
"A goal properly set is halfway reached." Zig Ziglar
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

This happened to me 25 years ago and it was devastating. It took over 20 years for me to start up lessons again. A note would have been nice; I would have kept it for sure...

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by BrianDX

This happened to me 25 years ago and it was devastating. It took over 20 years for me to start up lessons again. A note would have been nice; I would have kept it for sure...

Reading what you wrote BrianDX makes me so sad as through your postings it's so obvious how much you love piano. I just wonder what would have happened if your teacher hadn't moved.

Yamaha G2
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member

One of my little students teared up when she found out I was leaving. I really hope she continues with piano without me!!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I often think about where I would be
Originally Posted by pianoMom2006

Reading what you wrote BrianDX makes me so sad as through your postings it's so obvious how much you love piano. I just wonder what would have happened if your teacher hadn't moved.

I've often though about where I would have been with 25+ years of piano experience as opposed to 4 years. I try to think forward, as I'm still "teachable" in my early 60's and hopefully have many more years left to enjoy this.

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
At what was to become the last, or one of the last lessons I had with my childhood piano teacher, she told me that not many people who are over the age of sixteen ever actually learn to play the piano. I was 15-and-something, in my senior year of high school, and struggling very hard with piano--- of all the things facing me in that period, piano was the only one I really wanted to do (well, that and writing--- back then you used a typewriter, imagine!). Maybe I did not know how to ask for help. Maybe she was being no more than realistic, considering college, marrying, careers, and knowing that the fledgling leaving the high, protected shelf on the cliff face was not going to be able to fly and carry a piano, too.

I thought the advisory came a little late, by a couple of years. Mrs Smith was not what you could call voluble nor especially confiding. She put the book on the piano, you played, that was it. She was a great player, herself; she accompanied our church's very excellent choir. I don't recall that we said goodbye at all, and anyway, I still saw her twice a week at choir practice and then at church. So, goodbye from what.

I believe the correct form for a civil farewell is to say goodbye, giving proper notice, and to thank the person you're bidding farewell, and to wish them well. What else could there be? You can dress it up all you want. You can mime the goodbye scene from "The Wizard of Oz," Dorothy saying goodbye to the Tin Man, the Cowardly Lion, and the Scarecrow... or the goodbye scene from "Big Fish." Personally, I see no need to overdo it; you are not their mime teacher or their drama coach, just... you know. A piano teacher who is moving away.

Clef

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I'm not so clear, was what she said a discouragement to you Jeff, or did that spur you to try even harder?

And you're right, my goodbyes were very anticlimactic. I'm not very good at expressing myself verbally, I guess, especially to the kids/teens. T_T

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
My first teacher, who left to go abroad to further her piano studies after teaching me for a year (and got me to Grade 1 ABRSM, with Distinction), gave me a present of "Selected Piano Works - Mozart" (compiled & edited by Harry Dexter).

There was hardly any piece in it I could actually play, but she'd played for me many of the pieces in it already (- she always played a classical piece for me at the end of every lesson), and I'd told her Mozart was my favorite composer, and she expressed her hope that I would one day play all the pieces in it (which ranged from the 'Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star' Variations K265 to Rondo K485 to Sonatas K331 and K457 & 475). I have, and still play from it, and still remember with great fondness the confidence she had in me that I would keep on with piano playing.

The gift of music (in both senses of the word) is the best - and longest-lasting - gift of all.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I would say one of the nicest ways to say "goodbye" to a group of students who are continuing their studies in that location, would be taking time to assist in connecting students with qualified teachers who are best equipped to educate each of them individually, given their strengths, weaknesses, quirks, and interests.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Don't buy a Focusrite.
by Christopher90 - 06/25/21 07:35 AM
Smaller Room - Grand Lid Down?
by brdwyguy - 06/25/21 06:46 AM
Break-ups are hard
by Athdara - 06/24/21 11:54 PM
(Question) VST-applied MIDI and live-recorded VST
by Saberlarry - 06/24/21 11:39 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,694
Posts3,107,113
Members101,902
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission