2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 15 1 2 13 14 15
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
We can make a competition of anything, cooking competition, jump rope competition, therefore, piano is one of them.The people who enter the competition must have fun, otherwise, they won't enter this kind of thing. You may not like the thought of competition, but these people just love it. People can say what is the fun of just playing music for each other, they want more than just playing music for each other, they love the competitive aspect too.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
As I was unable to stay through Sunday and talk to the Judges I am so pleased to have gotten a response from 2 of them online. Possibly will hear from a couple more. This feedback is so very valuable.

Last edited by musica71; 06/30/17 12:44 PM.

Musica 71
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RonaldSteinway
We can make a competition of anything, cooking competition, jump rope competition, therefore, piano is one of them.The people who enter the competition must have fun, otherwise, they won't enter this kind of thing. You may not like the thought of competition, but these people just love it. People can say what is the fun of just playing music for each other, they want more than just playing music for each other, they love the competitive aspect too.

We learned in the bio of one of the people in this competition that she is a high-level ballroom dancer and participates in ballroom dancing competitions. Well, I'm not into ballroom dancing, and I'd have no interest in going and doing it these days or in going and watching other people do it, even if I know somebody in it (I did get to know this lady a fair bit) -- but a ballroom dancing competition with her in it??

I'd be fascinated. I'd love to go. And I might try. And I think it's clear that this -- being highly interested to see a ballroom dancing competition with a friend in it, despite not being much interested in going to watch 'regular' ballroom dancing -- has zero to do with "ego" (mine anyway).

I guess it's mainly because of what Ronald said here:

Originally Posted by RonaldSteinway
Playing well in a competition setting is the ultimate test.....I have witnessed many people who entered competition a lot have improved their quality of playing, because they keep working on perfecting their playing.

They're stretching themselves. (Perhaps literally sometimes, but that's not what I meant.) ha

.....plus, the thing that I said earlier about just loving "rankings," in almost any kind of context -- sitcoms, cars, chocolates, U.S presidents, washing machines.....
Perhaps especially if I or people that I know are in them, even if I'm at the bottom grin which I don't think could very well be ego.

I also want to say that while some of us got mad about the posts casting aspersions on our motivation, those posts have led to some really interesting discussion, haven't they.....

Originally Posted by Mark_C

We learned in the bio of one of the people in this competition that she is a high-level ballroom dancer and participates in ballroom dancing competitions. Well, I'm not into ballroom dancing, and I'd have no interest in going and doing it these days or in going and watching other people do it, even if I know somebody in it (I did get to know this lady a fair bit) -- but a ballroom dancing competition with her in it??

I'd be fascinated. I'd love to go.

And now to completely hijack the thread... since Ballroom Dancing competition was mentioned, did I ever tell you I was Rashad Jennings' elementary school music teacher back in the mid-1990s? (He's the latest "Dancing with the Stars" champion.) laugh laugh I would totally go see Rashad dance live, given the chance.

I never would have guessed I had a future celebrity sitting on my floor playing the xylophone. My kids think it's cool I have his (4th grade) autograph in the yearbook.aa

aka Lady Arabesque
YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/hayburner1969
Originally Posted by coaster
....I was Rashad Jennings' elementary school music teacher back in the mid-1990s?....

You mean you were born yet in the mid-'90's? ha

(Coaster and her daughter look kinda like sisters.)

....I was Rashad Jennings' elementary school music teacher back in the mid-1990s?....

You mean you were born yet in the mid-'90's? ha

While this makes me feel good, my teenage daughter might cringe. Ha ha
(Actually, she's too nice and loving to cringe. She'd just be happy for me.)

How many 15-year-old non-pianists would say they had an amazing 5-day vacation at a piano competition? Not many, I'd bet.

aka Lady Arabesque
YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/hayburner1969
SiFi Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member

How many 15-year-old non-pianists would say they had an amazing 5-day vacation at a piano competition? Not many, I'd bet.

You said it right (not surprisingly since you're her mum). She's a terrific person. My 15-year-old kids didn't even bother to watch me online and they've both had piano lessons! cursing

SRF

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by SiFi

You said it right (not surprisingly since you're her mum). She's a terrific person. My 15-year-old kids didn't even bother to watch me online and they've both had piano lessons! cursing
Sure - but they get to hear you all the time !! thumb

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the big-money betting on these events.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
Originally Posted by ClsscLib
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the big-money betting on these events.

Yeah -- I hear I was even money to win by a nose.

[Linked Image]

SiFi Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I have been struck that many of the competitors don't seem to be enjoying themselves during the performance and don't think amateur music performance should be like this. A fairly large percent seem to be struggling with the technical demands of pieces perhaps too difficult for them.

More stuff that I agree with. Important stuff too, IMO.

During my first round at Boston, I suddenly noticed that I really was enjoying myself, more so than on any other occasion since I "rebooted" 3 years ago. It was a wonderful feeling and I know for sure that it was the result of the technical polishing and other work I had devoted specifically to preparation for the competition. I felt less liberated and comfortable playing the Fantaisie in the second round, partly because I was apprehensive about the treacherous bits that have bitten me badly in the past. But I'd still say I was there in the moment, consciously performing, living the music in real time. Both experiences have convinced me that I want to persist in doing these competitions.

One thing I will say is that I didn't quite make it to the feeling of total control like when I played stuff in my distant past. But I'm working hard on it, and these competitions are helping.

So that's it for this post.

SRF
SiFi Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I have been struck that many of the competitors don't seem to be enjoying themselves during the performance and don't think amateur music performance should be like this. A fairly large percent seem to be struggling with the technical demands of pieces perhaps too difficult for them.

More stuff that I agree with. Important too, IMO.

During my first round at Boston, I suddenly noticed that I really was enjoying myself, more so than on any other occasion since I "rebooted" 3 years ago. It was a wonderful feeling and I know for sure that it was the result of the technical polishing and textual analysis I had devoted specifically to preparation for the competition. I felt less liberated and comfortable playing the Fantaisie, partly because I was apprehensive about the treacherous bits that have bitten me badly in the past. But I'd still say I was there in the moment, consciously performing, living the music in real time. The experience has convinced me that I want to persist in doing these competitions.One thing I will say is that I didn't quite make it to the feeling of total control like when I played stuff in my past. But I'm working hard on it, and these competitions are helping.

WRT the past, I had the experience most dramatically while playing Rhapsody in Blue; like, in cricket when you're batting and the ball starts looking as big as a balloon. I also experienced it during the 2nd and 4th movements of the Brahms Bb concerto and a couple of other times besides.

So, pianoluverus, I conclude that you are completely right. (1) If they're not enjoying it, they shouldn't be doing it. (2) I cannot understand why people go on stage and play music that they have no possible chance of executing with even a minor probability of technical accuracy and without also transmitting a meaningful musical message.

I'm out . . . !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SRF

3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
SiFi, I'll never play at the level that you, Coaster, and others have reached, but when I am playing at my best, I recall something that pro athletes now say: It's as though the game is slowing down for them.

Your cricket comment brought that to mind.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
So, pianoluverus, I conclude that you are completely right. (1) If they're not enjoying it, they shouldn't be doing it. (2) I cannot understand why people go on stage and play music that they have no possible chance of executing with even a minor probability of technical accuracy and without also transmitting a meaningful musical message.
It is certainly true that some people seem to tackle pieces that they have no possibility of getting through with any sense. The "nerve " factor then of course finishes them off. I have had problems because of lack of sleep (getting up at 3.30 to catch a plane, then not sleeping well after arriving), forgetting or losing a piece of music,(just needing to refer to it,,,and it is not there resulting in minor panic mode). dealing with the stress of traveling (cancelled or delayed planes). I am so pleased when I can concentrate on the MUSIC rather than the memory. It is still worth it for me!

Last edited by musica71; 07/02/17 01:57 PM.

Musica 71
Page 15 of 15 1 2 13 14 15

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission