2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
52 members (CaseyVancouver, anotherscott, BlakeOR, 36251, Beansparrow, computerpro3, 10 invisible), 516 guests, and 556 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Hello!
I am CA17 owner, and one moment bothers me a little - when I chose "SK grand" sound, it has some additional strange noise in lower notes, especially in C2 - B2 region. It's like a little "hissing" or something slightly similar to "damper noise" effect. And it increases if more brilliance is added, and almost disappers if brilliance is set to minimal (-10).
But when I switch to another samples - "EX grand", "Acoustic piano" etc. - the sound is crystal clear, no noises.
I supposed this little noise may be a kind of a feature of a real acoustic SK grand that was used for samples recording... but it's unlikely that grand piano of such a highest class, one of the best in the world, can produce such an annoying sounds...
What sort of problem can it be?

If you wonder what may happen if you start learning piano as an adult (at the age of 33, for example) - subscribe my channel and let's find this out together:)
YoutubeChannel

Nord Piano 4
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi 33 - does it occur both on headphones as well as the speaker system? If only on the speaker system, it could be sympathetic resonance from some parts inside the piano. It could even be something near ( or far from ) the piano resonating in sympathy.
I had a little mechanical clock near our HP605 that had a sympathy with the piano ^^ as well as a light I first had on top of the piano that was a little resonant.

If it is both on headphones and on speakers it is part of the sample or perhaps you are more sensitive to parts of the timbres/resonances: you could if you do not like this resonance perhaps attune it using the kawai app if that function is available for your model, or from the piano's menu system of course - the app is more convenient but is only for apple products..

Roland HP605|Senheiser HD558|MSFT Surface Pro 4|coffee
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
It occurs both on headphones as well as the speaker system.
I connected my piano to the computer and recorded it. Here's the sample: https://soundcloud.com/sergey-kheladze/sk-grand-samples-noise - first, I play some notes with EX sound, than switch to SK and noises appear. Add some volume, it must be quite loud to here this noises. Yes, it reminds sympathetic resonance, but within sample itself...
It can be reduced almost to none if I use Virtual technician and decrease brilliance to it's minimal value - but the sound is so dull without brilliance...

If you wonder what may happen if you start learning piano as an adult (at the age of 33, for example) - subscribe my channel and let's find this out together:)
YoutubeChannel

Nord Piano 4
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Ya, there's a buzzy sound to it. Try playing around with other parameters within the Virtual Technician other than brilliance, which affects the whole keyboard.

Have you updated the firmware to the latest version? I believe there's a way to make adjustments on single notes, but Kawai James would know for sure.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think it is the bass string copper windings you hear - could be on that particular piano with this particular recording it is a bit more to the fore and that your ears are more attuned to it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hec8TkKB8Pg

D
D
these ringings are overtones, try the sk-5 sample and play some bass keys very loud. This is typical for grands. My own acoustic grand, a gx2 from kawai has it, the steinway grand from my teacher has it, the grotian steiweg grand belonging to my friend has it. Typical for grands.

Daniel

KAWAI CS11 (sold KAWAI CA 97), KAWAI GX2 acoustic grand piano (sold SCHIMMEL acoustic upright)
F
f3r Offline
F
It's not the first time that this comes up. Start reading from KiwiTommy's post here: Kawai-CA 97 (SHS) headphone question

As you said, this sound gets louder when the brilliance is increased. This buzzing is audible at a certain velocity and turning off all the VT settings does not solve this. EX and SK-5 do not present this characteristic.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
overtones from tuned aliquots is not what he was referring to I think daniel though now you make me doubt it ^^ The overtones I hear there are not those but just the undamped upper octave and a half sometimes. I don't think the SK come with tuned aliquots

H
H
Hi, I I can assure you that we are not talking about overtones (I know what they sound like). I will quote myself from the Kawai-CA 97 (SHS) thread:
I own a Kawai CA67 and can hear that strange hissing sound too when using headphones, although it is barely hearable. While playing with the settings I stumbled something: Changing the voicing in the virtual technician, changing headphone types and changing the tone settings (in basic settings) has influence on the noise. That leads me to the conclusion, that the equalizer is the cause of the noise. All those settings behave similar to an equalizer, at least in my experience. So I think all those are managed through the same EQ and just changing values.
Furthermore if I record as MP3 instead of WAV the noise is very loud on the recording, but I don´t have an idea why that is the case yet. (update: it was VLC Player´s fault. MP3 and WAV sound the same with another music player)

You can try it for yourselves, just set the brillance (in the tone settings in the basic settings) to high values like 9 or 10. In my case the noise gets louder and very annoying.
Would be nice if some CA owners could test that. Still I want to add, that the noise is not an issue for me as long as I use reasonable settings. Brillance value higher than 5 sound awful anyway.

So you are not alone! Another possibility is, that it is because the samples are compressed to save storage space.

Kind Regards
Hoizmichl

Last edited by Hoizmichl; 05/21/17 10:49 AM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I just tried it: CA97, headphones, brilliance at +10. I can't hear any strange noise. It's possible that my ears simply cannot hear it. Or it's possible your ears are overly sensitive to a certain frequency. Or it's possible you have a hardware problem. I would try to find a CA17, CA67 or CA97 in a shop and try to reproduce it there (with different headphones), to find out if the former or the latter.

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: "Prélude (Opus 28, No. 4)" by Frédéric Chopin
F
f3r Offline
F
Tested already in the past and tested today again. Same results as I previously posted.

Originally Posted by f3r
It's not the first time that this comes up. Start reading from KiwiTommy's post here: Kawai-CA 97 (SHS) headphone question

As you said, this sound gets louder when the brilliance is increased. This buzzing is audible at a certain velocity and turning off all the VT settings does not solve this. EX and SK-5 do not present this characteristic.

This is not a problem for me, it's almost inaudible with my settings, I have to search for it to hear it.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Here are two FFT shots of the same note - the top image is the EX and the bottom image is the SK. In BOTH images the ONLY difference is the relative amplitudes of the partials (this is the correct term for 'overtones'). To my eye and ear the EX sounds good and the SK is quite muffled. There is, however, no noise. What you guys call noise is the combined effect of the partials, which are all inharmonic, but integrally related to the first partial (fundamental frequency). This is what defines piano sound.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You will see one significant 'knocking' sound that is not a partial at about 205Hz. It is probably a simulated keybedding sound.

edit: JoBert solved my image posting problem.

Last edited by prout; 05/21/17 04:57 PM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by prout
By the way, does anybody know how to get the damn images to post?

You need to put the URL of the image itself between the opening and closing image tags, not the URL of the html page that contains the images. Like what I did below (click "quote" to see the source of what I posted).

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: "Prélude (Opus 28, No. 4)" by Frédéric Chopin
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Excellent. Thanks for the info.

Online Content
Nice analysis and explanation prout - which tool is being used there, may I ask?

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
H
H
I would love to record the noise for you, as I am absolutely sure we are not talking about overtones (at least I am not).
Problem is: the noise is not on WAV recordings done with the pianos own recorder and I have no cable at the moment to record directly from the headphone jack.

Last edited by Hoizmichl; 05/22/17 05:38 AM.
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Nice analysis and explanation prout - which tool is being used there, may I ask?

Oscillometer - a wonderful piece of Russian software.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Hoizmichl
I would love to record the noise for you, as I am absolutely sure we are not talking about overtones (at least I am not).
Problem is: the noise is not on WAV recordings done with the pianos own recorder and I have no cable at the moment to record directly from the headphone jack.

The recording posted by PianoStartsat33 is the one I used to do the analysis. It contains no noise as you mention above. That means, if anyone who listens to the recording hears noise, they are mistaken, or the noise is coming from their playback equipment.

If you can hear the noise over the DP's speakers, just record the sound with your computer's mic. I can still analyze the basic sound differences between the EX and SK. To do so, please play three single notes in a row, separated by a one second space, each one about two seconds long. Do this for the EX and do the same procedure for the SK, all in one take.

Last edited by prout; 05/22/17 08:36 AM.
M
M
It's odd that you're not hearing it from the onboard recorder. So to be clear: you can hear it when playing either using headphones or the onboard speakers, but when you record it and play it back (either using the headphones or onboard speakers) you don't hear it? Or are you playing it back on your computer (with different speakers then)?

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Morodiene
It's odd that you're not hearing it from the onboard recorder. So to be clear: you can hear it when playing either using headphones or the onboard speakers, but when you record it and play it back (either using the headphones or onboard speakers) you don't hear it? Or are you playing it back on your computer (with different speakers then)?

I assume that the onboard recorder is simply taking the digitized samples, modifying them in accordance with the MIDI instructions sent by each note, and then feeding the data, without conversion, to the computer as a .wav file.

Is this how it is actually done? I am guessing, but it seems to eliminate any analogue circuitry that would cause an audible increase in noise.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Komplete Kontrol S88 MK1 Touchkeys
by Micahjd - 05/16/21 07:26 PM
Piano out of tune?
by TheodorN - 05/16/21 04:10 PM
iOS Pianos on iPad POLL
by RinTin - 05/16/21 01:50 PM
I can quit any time I want to ...
by Retsacnal - 05/16/21 01:42 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,967
Posts3,094,277
Members101,538
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission