2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (Erinmarriott, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, 4 invisible), 1,319 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Welcome to the General Discussion Room for the AB Forum “Beginners and Beyond” Recital #46!!!

Please use this room for any discussion of the pieces in Recital #46 that is taking place in the Main Recital Thread.

Discussions and replies can be posted at-will. Feel free to comment on any or all individual pieces. Some members offer comments on each submission individually; others offer general congratulations. Either approach is appropriate. Feel free to offer more specific, technical feedback if the participant had indicated that technical feedback was welcome.

For those who wish to comment on all pieces, a copy and paste template for offering feedback can be found here:

Recital #46 Response Template

Please use this thread only to discuss recital performances. If you have any comments or suggestions about ways to make the recital process better, please start a separate thread.

Enjoy the music! heart

L
L
I knew I shouldn't have submitted. Guess anxiety got me in the end..messed up volume levels to boot. Couldn't get any worse.
My apologies for such a haphazard submission. It was my first time. I look forward to the next recitals now that I have a much better idea of the whole process.
Many congratulations to all participants. I'll listen to as many of the works I can in the coming moments and offer as much feedback as my knowledge and experience would allow. smile

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Don't beat yourself up, luckiest charm! Yeah, your volume is too low, but most computers have these really neat devices that are round and when you rotate them clockwise, the volume goes up. wink I was able to hear your submission just fine once I cranked the volume knob up, and I thought your performance was very good. thumb

This was another great recital! Congratulations to everybody who submitted a recording. smile I've got to head off to sleep now, but I'll try to start making individual comments tomorrow.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
These recitals are GREAT! I love being a part of them, and really enjoy hearing all of you play. I've only listened part way through, and am enjoying it immensely. Well done, everyone!

01. SMA55 (Shepherd Abrams) - 2 Lyric pieces named "Melody", Op 47 No 3 and Op 38 No 3 These are new to me. I really enjoyed the first, both the composition and your playing. I was not as attracted to the second, though it had to do with the composition, rather than your playing of it. Well done!

02. blackjack1777 - Sonatina in G Major, Anh. 5 No. 1 Since we started about the same time, and went through Alfred's 1 around the same time, I always enjoy your participation in the recitals. And, you played this well. Congratulations on such great progress!

03. Peyton - Three Romances, Opus 28 #2 I think this is the first time I've heard you play something outside your own compositions, so, I was surprised. And, impressed by your play. I could almost feel the weight on you as you sought to honor or recognize the piece' known history and importance to the Schumanns. I think you did it justice. I enjoyed it a lot.

04. Whizbang (Chris) - Brejeiro You are amazing! That was wonderful. And, thanks for introducing another interesting composer.

05. wouter79 - Waltz, Album for the Young, op.39 no.7 Though you say this album has “simple” pieces, it seems this one would eat a pianist alive if he is not on top of his game. I think you played with great precision, and your voicing and phrasing choices were very attractive and appropriate. The left hand was very distinct and I never found it lost or confused with the right. I think they complemented each other very well. This was a nice performance.

06. Monica K. - Drop Variation This was an intriguing piece. I did not like the bass notes as much as you did. However, I noticed some great precision in that bass crescendo leading to the end. It was spread over many notes, and each note played its part in the rise. I struggle with this, you did it very well. Nice playing!

07. Riddler (Ed) - Reflections No one around here personifies comfort at the keys more than you. This was really nice, continually interesting, and relaxing.

08. MarieJ - Fairytale This was a nice piece. It hit those notes often heard in those “music box” compositions, but, with a soothing melody to carry it along. You played well.

09. Piano2138 - Minuet BWV Anh 116 I'm with you on the interesting musical potential of waltz/menuets when the pianist experiments with tempo variations, etc. I've particularly noticed this in recordings of classical and romantic era pieces. I encourage you to continue exploring this idea. Well done!

10. barbaram - Nocturne no 20 in C# Minor Your head, quite naturally, is very critically and understandably attempting to perfect the piece. I can assure you that, to a listener just wanting nice music, your performance was very enjoyable. So, bravo, and well done!

I'm anxious to hear the rest!

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by luckiest_charm
I knew I shouldn't have submitted. Guess anxiety got me in the end..messed up volume levels to boot. Couldn't get any worse.

You hush.

I went to listen to your piece in response to your comment. I guarantee you feel worse about your performance than I feel about it. Some slips? Yah, I've been there, too. Piece is still pretty and you did well by it.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
11. UnderConstruction - Coracao que Sente (to do)

I don't usually reply extensively to these threads, because I never know what intelligent to say, even though I enjoy everyone's submission.

Mostly just wanted to comment this, having stumbled into Nazareth on my own: 1) is this the first recital where Nazareth was featured? and 2) could the selections be any more different in feel?

Such a wistful feel coming off your performance with this invigorating interlude. I should have lived during the 1890s I guess. Where is the fainting couch?

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
I seem to be in a responsive mood.

24. Ralph L. - Island of dreams (pop) (to do)

The offbeats in your backing track combined with bass are exactly what hits me in the gut for music. Nice backing chords. Feels kind of like a John Carpenter movie.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
More feeling chatty:

27. KalosPiano - Invention N. 2 in C Minor, BWV 773

If I look back, I was introduced probably way too early to Bach Inventions. I probably should have waited 30 years.

I've never listened to #2 and now I wonder why not.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
28. CarlosCC - In Principio

Here's the thing. I am not a huge Einaudi fan, but I love your Einaudi playing.

It is marked by patience and tenderness. If I had to guess, you are a keen active listener. I want to steal that.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
45. J Soo - La cathedrale engloutie

You took me there.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
06. Monica K. - Drop Variation

Darker tone than Carlos, which is nice. (Is it the piece?) Hold on to the sustained notes a skosh or more longer and you'll smash him. wink

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
21. Ganddalf - The Dream of Olwen

Never know what you are going to bring but it is always new. Takk.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
18. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - TRAUMEREI

What I hear is two things:

1) you are taking great care with your notes
2) you have a great sense of timing !
3) nice touch

Really nice. Brought it home on the final cadence too !

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
34. Zoot64 - Tempo di Menuetto: No. 3

Nice. I -want- to hear this on harpsichord.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
38. SwissMS - Sonata in B Minor

Did you know that this was also one of the ABRSM exam pieces in their 1991 grade 7 syllabus? It looks like they have recycled this piece for exam again.

In that year I took my grade 5 exam but I learned this piece the following year after hearing other students practising it the year before. I too like this piece. It's a rather challenging piece. It's difficult to play the notes evenly from a rhythmic and tonal perspectives, making it very difficult to play cleanly. You are right, there's nowhere to hide!

If you weren't going to play this piece for an exam I wouldn't mention this. You may want to check bar 28. In the edition I have the last 4 semiquaver notes on the right hand prints G, F#, E and D. You seem to have played E, D, C#, B instead.

Valentina Lisitsa released a video of her playing this piece several months ago. She did played it rather too fast to my liking but her dexterity on the piano is something to die for! You should check it out: Valentina Lisitsa - Scalartti Sonata in B Minor. I noticed that Valentina played the notes in bar 28 the same as you did. So it could very well be different editions.

Congratulations on your Bosendorfer piano and good luck with your exam!

Be yourself

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
Wow, it's amazing how bad one's own recording can sound when listening back to it in the recital, among so many fine renditions. Please watch the video if you can, it helps to understand the phrasing that I didn't manage to convey very well, and the sound may be a little better.

I just delivered a very big project, so now I have some time to listen to everybody smile

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tubbie0075
38. SwissMS - Sonata in B Minor

Did you know that this was also one of the ABRSM exam pieces in their 1991 grade 7 syllabus? It looks like they have recycled this piece for exam again.

In that year I took my grade 5 exam but I learned this piece the following year after hearing other students practising it the year before. I too like this piece. It's a rather challenging piece. It's difficult to play the notes evenly from a rhythmic and tonal perspectives, making it very difficult to play cleanly. You are right, there's nowhere to hide!

If you weren't going to play this piece for an exam I wouldn't mention this. You may want to check bar 28. In the edition I have the last 4 semiquaver notes on the right hand prints G, F#, E and D. You seem to have played E, D, C#, B instead.

Valentina Lisitsa released a video of her playing this piece several months ago. She did played it rather too fast to my liking but her dexterity on the piano is something to die for! You should check it out: Valentina Lisitsa - Scalartti Sonata in B Minor. I noticed that Valentina played the notes in bar 28 the same as you did. So it could very well be different editions.

Congratulations on your Bosendorfer piano and good luck with your exam!

That is interesting. In the ABRSM exam book, the last four notes in that measure are E, D, C#, B. I guess they liked their particular version best!

I have heard Valentina Lisitsa recording of this piece. To me it sounds very rushed, leaving little room for dynamics. I agree though, her dexterity is amazing!

Last edited by SwissMS; 05/15/17 06:03 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SwissMS

That is interesting. In the ABRSM exam book, the last four notes in that measure are E, D, C#, B. I guess they liked their particular version best!

I was actually referring to my ABRSM 1991 exam book. So it looks like they've changed those notes in their latest edition.

Be yourself

Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Recital time again already!. To everyone who works tirelessly behind the scenes to make the Recitals a reality, thank you so much. And extra special thanks this time, with the newly revamped forums to contend with as well. Now for much wonderful listening, to motivate and inspire!

01. SMA55 (Shepherd Abrams) - 2 Lyric pieces named "Melody", Op 47 No 3 and Op 38 No 3 They were lovely pieces, Shepherd, and beautifully played. (I found the two different recordings, and the different pianos, very interesting.) Thank you!!

02. blackjack1777 - Sonatina in G Major, Anh. 5 No. 1 Confidently played and most enjoyable. Sounds as if you had fun with this one - well done!

03. Peyton - Three Romances, Opus 28 #2 I think your interpretation captured the soul of this haunting piece. Very impressive!

04. Whizbang (Chris) - Brejeiro Wow! That was really special - bravo!

05. wouter79 - Waltz, Album for the Young, op.39 no.7 I’m afraid I’m not qualified to comment on the areas you specifically mentioned, even on what you describe as ‘relatively simple’ pieces. I can only offer congratulations - sounded as if you nailed this one!

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]Quarterly recitals from #38

My Yamaha C3 and Kawai ES110 with Pianoteq: the best of both worlds?
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I'm really enjoying this recital - as usual!

38. SwissMS - Sonata in B minor Kp 377
I had to listen to this first to hear that gorgeous new piano of yours and it sounds absolutely fabulous. I enjoyed your Scarlatti very much, polished and exam ready!

01. SMA55 (Shepherd Abrams) - 2 Lyric pieces named "Melody", Op 47 No 3 and Op 38 No 3
1. Very attractive piece, convincing performance.
2. I also liked this a lot, it contrasted nicely with the first piece. It feels like “movie music” to me somehow, like music a character in an older movie would actually play on the piano. I’m not sure why exactly? I suppose if I was making a movie like that I might want a piece of music that would feel “typical” to the audience yet not actually be over-familiar, accessible to those who don’t listen to too much “classical” music but with enough musical depth to engage those with more knowledge, and a piece such as this would be just the thing!

02. blackjack1777 - Sonatina in G Major, Anh. 5 No. 1
Very nicely done, I enjoyed your lively tempo

03. Peyton - Three Romances, Opus 28 #2
These were gorgeous. I don’t always love Schumann, but he does have some very lovely pieces.
I love the little sigh at the end 

04. Whizbang (Chris) - Brejeiro
Nazareth is on my wishlist too, I have played around with his “Tango Habanero” but not yet tackled it seriously.
Love your performance here, so easy and comfortable - not that for a minute I think it is easy of course, but that you make it sound effortless.

05. wouter79 - Waltz, Album for the Young, op.39 no.7
This is very accurately played, and I think you are right to consider how you could further enhance your performance by looking at your details of voicing and phrasing to really make it shine.
In terms of voicing, I think the LH could be slightly softer to allow the melody to sing out more.
Your phrasing could be shaped further with a little more breathing space at the ends of phrases and perhaps a little more dynamic shaping within phrases.

06. Monica K. - Drop Variation
Gorgeous! I really need to revisit Einaudi, I haven’t played his pieces for a while.
As always, you create the mood so effectively. There is less happening in much of this piece, notes-wise, which just adds to the challenge of building the mood, but for me this really succeeds

07. Riddler (Ed) - Reflections
This is super, Ed, I enjoyed it a lot

08. MarieJ - Fairytale
Very delicate and pretty

09. Piano2138 - Minuet BWV Anh 116
I think your rhythmic variation is pretty. Probably worthwhile from a learning perspective to make sure you can play it “strict” also, if you haven’t already.

11. UnderConstruction - Coracao que Sente
As I mentioned above, Nazareth is on my wishlist. I really enjoyed this piece, well done. That C section is such fun!

12. peterws - Simple Song
Really lovely, I’m so impressed with original compositions!

13. AZ_Astro - Minuet in G Major - BWV 114
No place to hide, ain’t that the truth!
Lovely ornaments, and a great confidence throughout, well done

14. Khopin - Waltz Op. 70 No. 1 in G flat
Superb, it’s always a pleasure to listen to your Chopin interpretations

15. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - River Flows In You
Great! You do an excellent job with this and I hope your recital goes really well.
Some things to think about as you prepare for the recital: I think some more dynamic variation would help to sustain interest through the piece. Also, pay extra attention anywhere the tempo is a little different - this is great for adding interest and tension but it’s important to be sure about what you are trying to communicate to avoid sounding hesitant .
Overall though, really well done!

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission