2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, 16 invisible), 2,121 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 43 of 47 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 46 47
Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Isabelle1949
Sight read, slowly, a couple of Bach preludes, and part of nel cor piu non me sento variations. Must work the duet piece tonight.

Not sure what model it is, but will be picking up a Clavinova today. People who lived in my cousin's rental house didn't want it, so cousin called me. I said yes to the Clavinova. Can practice anytime now!!!

About 5 week to go on the temporary job that I committed to. It's got to end soon!!!

Isabelle,

Always good to play.......Clavinova......I have a Kawai CA95 for three years.......but when there is a new release of Clavinova.......perhaps I visit my pianoshop..... grin eek

Kind regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'

https://youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Yesterday worked with my duet partner on the Beethoven variation. Looking forward to setting up the Clavinova for night practice. Need a stand, but I think two identical end tables that are a good height will work in the meantime. Plan to set it up tonight. The Clavinova is a 1985 model, but it works and is it heavy!!!

Always working to improve "Chopsticks". I'll never give up on it.
Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
26 March 2016

Today working at Mozart, Variations one of the books I bought some weeks ago. And at imslp.org Mozart, Variations
Some of them I knew.......now discovering more....I like it 3hearts 3hearts

What did you play today?

(by the way.....Isabella......good luck playing at the Clavinova grin

Best regards,
Johan B

Last edited by Johan B; 03/26/17 05:51 PM.

[Linked Image]
Motto's:

Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
31 March 2017

As you might know...... I love music from the Baroque-periode.....
In one of the books I bought I discovered a composition of Jean Francois Dandrieu....French composer at the court Louis XIV......

I did some research at imslp.org and look what I found....a lot of Suites etc.
Pièces de clavecin, three books full of nice Baroque It's fun to play around.......... 3hearts

What did you play today?

Best regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Motto's:

I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Haven't practiced all week. Stupid job interferes. Clavinova keyboard needs a good stand, working on that through a piano store and Yamaha. Need an absolutely solid and safe stand for it because it is very very heavy and I have pets that will run across it. I would die if one of them got hurt. Will practice like crazy tonight. Duet practice tomorrow? Can't wait till the job ends!!!

Always working to improve "Chopsticks". I'll never give up on it.
Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
30 april 2017

I have not been here for long times......but do not worry....I play every day.....
This morning just started with some André Rieu music......just simply pumping 3/4 grin
In the afternoon I will play some more serious classics..... grin

Have a nice day....all you pianolovers....

Best regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Motto's:

Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
30 april 2017

This afternoon studied Bach fuga BWV 944.....

Fuga BWV 944

What did you play today?

Best regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Motto's:

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Practiced Schumann's "The Merry Farmer" and Bach's March in D Major. They're almost ready to show to my teacher for my lesson later this week smile

Something clicked yesterday and it's the most progress I've had in a long time.

Working on: Schumann Album for the Young, Clementi Op 36 No. 1 (all movements), Various Bach, Czerny 599
+ CASIO PX-720 and PX-730 +
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Practiced exam prep as usual- Lots of technical work, a bit of aural practice, and my pieces - Chopin - Nocture in C# minor #20, Scarlatti - Sonata in B minor K377, and Bonsor - Willy Wagglesticks Walkabout. I also spent some time with my newest piece - Granados Spanish Dance #2 Oriental. Then since it is Sunday I took a break from serious study and played some of my old favorites - Mendelssohn 30.6, Shui Cao Wu, When Rivers Flowed on Mars, plus Over the Rainbow. Sometimes it is nice to sit down and just play!

Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
13 May 2017

Today more time to play.....about four hours......mmmm

Played a lot of baroque suites of Buxtehude and Böhm......
Buxtehude, Suites

Love the baroque-period...... 3hearts

What did you play today?

Best regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Motto's:

S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
Dug out some of my old pieces today and just played in a non-critical way, not stopping for errors rework a phrase. Sight read a little and then worked on the repertoire for my lesson.

It felt really good just to get out some old stuff and just play around .... sometimes I get so busy practicing that I forget the whole point is just to be able to play

K
K
My first post here, may many follow.

My teacher has me working on Bartók's Mikrocosmos, first book. I'm very much a beginner, tried to self-teach which failed miserably, so now she is teaching me the basics with this beautiful collection by Bartók.

Played through the first 21 pieces without too much trouble, which I've practiced over the past two weeks. I want to record them, but I can't get the piano to make the exact sound that I want from it (so many keys are stuck, ugh, hopefully gets fixed next week), so for now it's just working on my technique without getting the perfect sound. I love bringing out musicality in these smaller, easy pieces. It's quite astounding how something so simple can sound so beautiful.

Then worked on number 22 and 23, which are getting along quite well. 22 is the first piece with counterpoint in the bundle, which is pretty hard, especially when reading the music instead of memorizing the piece.

Added 24 and 25 today. 24 is quite tricky because of the key (think it's A major, has 3 sharps), but it's going quite well. 25 is again with counterpoint, but that needs a lot of work still.

Last edited by Keselo; 05/14/17 10:15 AM.

I've started playing January 2017, Nothing is too easy is where I keep track of my progress.

[Linked Image]
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
My teacher wants me to become Alicia de Larrocha laugh so I'm now learning Bach's Minuet in G and Burgmüller's Arabesque.

M
M
Originally Posted by Keselo

My teacher has me working on Bartók's Mikrocosmos, first book. I'm very much a beginner, tried to self-teach which failed miserably, so now she is teaching me the basics with this beautiful collection by Bartók.

My teacher and I are using these as sight reading exercises. I am on the third from the 2nd book, and like you I find these to be great learning pieces for either learning or sight reading. The later books do look to be quite difficult!

I have been playing piano for about 3 weeks or so, and got delivery of my new Yamaha GB1K last week. Last week I worked through and learned BWV Anh. 115 (Minuet in G-Minor) from Bach's Notebook, and am cleaning up some parts of it this week. This week I am also working on BWV Anh. 114. I am nearly done with the first half in the first 2 or so days or practice, and I should have it playable within the next 4 - 5 days give or take. On the side I have also been working on Clemente's Sonata in C Major, Movement 1, which I expect to take a bit longer to go through.

I have also been working on major and minor scales (I now know half of them, F, C, G, D, A, and E), and can play them two handed, one octave, clean at approximately 120BPM (eighth notes). My teacher has been having me focus on getting my fingers up for a more crisp attack on the keys, and playing balance between the hands (my playing was a bit muddy to start). I am hoping to have all the major and minor scales done in the next 6 months or so.

I have been playing 2ish hours most days (some days 2 hours then another hour or so later at night). My first 30 minutes I work on scales, hanon, and other warmups. The second 20 - 30 minutes I do sight reading on some days, others I look at some other pieces that I might have already read through, and give them a second or third reading (Mikrocosmos are a good example). The last hour or so I work on my current pieces, using notes from the previous day to pinpoint the sections I need to work on (for example, the 4th to last bar to the end in BWV 115). I will normally give them song a play through several times to pinpoint other issues, then continue from there. I normally end with something fun (I have been playing some star wars easy music for the past few days).

I have tons of previous woodwind and brass experience (Oboe, English Horn, and Baritone), and my hand technique has firmly started me at level 3 RCM material. I am probably higher in level, but I want to really take some time to work on my actual technique rather than just learning random higher level pieces.

So... that is what I am playing...

1991 Yamaha G3 Grand Piano
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by my58vw

Last week I worked through and learned BWV Anh. 115 (Minuet in G-Minor) from Bach's Notebook, and am cleaning up some parts of it this week.

Cleaning up sounds bad to my ears. I had been learning a different version and had to fight with the changes. crazy

There are many different versions of that Minuet. I am doing one similar to this (sheet music in imslp) but now I can see it is not exactly the same either!

M
M
I am playing the URText version, which does not have dynamics, etc. I need to look at some of the other interpretations like the one you posted here.

1991 Yamaha G3 Grand Piano
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Tackled first 8 measures of page 3 of Debussy arabesques 1..yeah, rest of the page was a breeze...now persevering with page 1 of jesu, joy of mans desiring...not feeling it for some reason...

Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by my58vw
I am playing the URText version, which does not have dynamics, etc. I need to look at some of the other interpretations like the one you posted here.

Hi my58vw,

In the period of Bach they did not use dynamics.......they were playing harpsichord; there were no pedals etc. Phrasing the musically sentences and melodylines is more important in baroque music. Nowadays we use dynamics. I think Bach c.s. would be enthousiastic.........

Best regards,
Johan B

Last edited by Johan B; 05/14/17 04:33 PM.

[Linked Image]
Motto's:

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I'm gradually playing more of what I "hear" in my current piece.
It takes a surprisingly long time, to "hear" all the notes at the same time, to hear that it's all correct, and to be able to listen to the LH and RH, individually or at the same time at will.

Will do some R&B for a while. Give the classical a break.
You can spend the rest of your life looking for music on a sheet of paper. You'll never find it, because it just ain't there. - Me Myself
Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
16 May 2017

Tonight worked on BWV 808 G minor, English Suites.......the Prelude is the biggest challenge......
Bach, Suite BWV808

After this I played Suite A minor of Georg Böhm, just to relax.....

What did you play today?

Best regards,
Johan B

Last edited by Johan B; 05/16/17 04:39 PM.

[Linked Image]
Motto's:

Page 43 of 47 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission