2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
64 members (Ampersand, brdwyguy, A789, Arjen B, 8ude, Alex Hutor, anotherscott, 9 invisible), 566 guests, and 557 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2632850 04/14/17 03:56 AM
I
OP Offline
I
Hi!
I am now doing a music plan, ie practice planing and genre/style planing. It takes some time but is very needed.
How did you do your planning, any tips? and if you went to music school did you need to do a, eg. 3 year plan? My piano teacher said that Berklee didn't really have a plan, ie just practice and that's it.
What did and did not work for you?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
iamanders #2632920 04/14/17 11:41 AM
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by iamanders

I am now doing a music plan, i.e. practice planing and genre/style planing. It takes some time but is very needed.

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by planning.

I think the genre/style of music that you want to pursue does affect the type of skills you want to focus on and activities you want to engage in. Classical requires strong reading and more memorization. Strong sight reading for impromptu accompaniment. Jazz requires more ear training and improvisation, use of lead sheets. There's still a lot in common between the disciplines! To the extent you know what music you like and what you want to do, it could still give you a list of things you should incorporate into your study.

For practice planning, I think the main thing is to figure out what works specifically for you. Some people regiment their practice strictly; others don't. Some practice in longer sessions; others in shorter sessions. I think the folks who attain any measure of success, however, learn quickly how counterproductive it is to practice wrong notes. The folks who get into Berklee likely already have figured out much of these basics, which is why I suspect Berklee may not provide a lot of guidance there. (It may just be my perception, but music schools seem to have a very much sink-or-swim approach.)

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
Whizbang #2632948 04/14/17 12:57 PM
I
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted by Whizbang

I am now doing a music plan, i.e. practice planing and genre/style planing. It takes some time but is very needed.

(It may just be my perception, but music schools seem to have a very much sink-or-swim approach.)

sink-or-swim approach refers to?

iamanders #2632985 04/14/17 03:10 PM
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
sink-or-swim approach refers to?

It is an idiom in English. It is a metaphor comparing the situation to being thrown into deep water. You must either figure out how to swim... or you will sink. It is commonly used to describe when an inexperienced person is thrust into a difficult situation with no help given. They must "sink or swim."

"Wide awake, I can make my most fantastic dreams come true..."
- Lorenz Hart
iamanders #2633209 04/15/17 10:32 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi iamanders, what worked for me was doing exams. Aim for 1 exam a year in the early years, and 1 every 18 months or 2 years in the intermediate/advanced years. It's well worth it.... you'll learn music from each different period, plus sight reading, technical work, aural training.... and you'll have a lot of fun as well :-)

The difference between dreams and reality is action.
iamanders #2633215 04/15/17 10:43 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi again iamanders, I just read through your prior posts. You just have to understand that piano is a lifetime obsession. or at the very least it's a lifestyle. You'll never be good enough, there's always be an 8 year old (or even a 5 year old) who can play better than you... once you understand that, and you start to play to be as good as *you* can possibly be, that's when you'll start to love it.

The difference between dreams and reality is action.
iamanders #2633363 04/16/17 01:27 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If you are teaching yourself I would get a good scale/chord/arpeggio etc book. "The Complete Book of Scales, Chords, Arpeggios & Cadences" by Willard Palmer is good as is the FJH Classic Scale Book.
To help you with your planning you can go onto the ABRSM website. They have a syllabus for each level. You don't have to follow it, but it might be helpful to use as a guide. You can also get the ABRSM books for each level on Amazon. They include some of the songs for each level. There are lots of other options like the Alfred books etc. But, this is just an idea that will help give you some structure.
Also, learning anything and everything you can about music theory will also be helpful.
BTW, I take classes at Berklee Extension School (online). They do have about 5 (I think) piano course, but you have to have been playing for at least a year. The courses are very fast paced. But, you can also go online and check out the syllabus and see if any of them are what you're looking for. But, I agree that they will not necessarily give you a plan. But, they will teach you have to play different styles once you get to a certain level.
Btw, I am not sure what level you are so I apologize if you are not a beginner and I am giving you this advice.
Good luck!

“The doubters said, "Man cannot fly," The doers said, "Maybe, but we'll try,"
And finally soared in the morning glow while non-believers watched from below.”
― Bruce Lee

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
cheap sponge instead of felt?
by chopin_r_us - 05/14/21 05:17 AM
First International Stretto Piano Festival
by Rhonda B - 05/14/21 04:19 AM
Kurzweil SP88X
by Micahjd - 05/14/21 02:24 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,924
Posts3,093,386
Members101,516
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission