2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Cheeeeee, Dalem01, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Dfrankjazz, Carey, 7 invisible), 2,073 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 38 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 37 38
F
f3r Offline
F
I'm impatiently waiting for the videos... The e-stores should stop putting up product pages with inaccurate or incomplete specs.

B
B
New engine and new resonance modelling. Interesting. This really needs to go through the DPBSD tests....

Or not? The main site seems to suggest harmonic imaging XL, did someone just miss the L of the end in places??

Last edited by Bambers; 04/05/17 11:07 AM.
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Bambers
New engine and new resonance modelling. Interesting. This really needs to go through the DPBSD tests....

Or not? The main site seems to suggest harmonic imaging XL, did someone just miss the L of the end in places??

Gear4Music forgot the L in the Harmonic Imaging XL.

The heavens declare the glory of God;
and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
The sampling tech is much more important than the "1-bit processing" IMHO.

Greg.

F
f3r Offline
F
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wpFEhmozlI

Just talking about the action, but it is the first video about the Novus

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
This action speaks for itself - I know I'm going to love it without even playing it.
The question is, will this be the first effort we see from the Onkyo relationship that makes a significant jump in how a digital piano sounds in the room? Not through headphones, not recorded direct, but acoustically in the room - and not just from the player's perspective.

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by ElmerJFudd
This action speaks for itself - I know I'm going to love it without even playing it.

Famous last words, but I agree. A real grand action is going to be phenomenal, and we know how much Kawai emphasizes development of its DP actions, so I'm not even worried about this.

Originally Posted by ElmerJFudd
The question is, will this be the first effort we see from the Onkyo relationship that makes a significant jump in how a digital piano sounds in the room? Not through headphones, not recorded direct, but acoustically in the room - and not just from the player's perspective.

While I hope so, frankly I'm not expecting any miracles here. I don't think Onkyo is privy to any super secret technology or know-how that they're just waiting to bust out with this collaboration. I'm sure it'll sound great, but I'm not going to hold out hope for earth-shattering just yet!

The real question for me is the price. Am I going to be able to entertain thoughts about one day splurging for this? Or is the CFO going to give me that "we're not even discussing this" look? smile

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
T
T
The Bonners video is more of a teaser for the Novus than actual information about the Novus. The piano in the video is an SK-3 and the modeled action is also a Shigeru Kawai acoustic grand action.

Agree that the Milennium III in the Novus should be exceptional. I still am waiting for any information about the optical sensing system.

I'm also curious that the naming of the Novus (Novus NV10) might imply more models in the Novus family in the future?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
@sullivang: It is nice to know what means 1-bit processing since it is perhaps a quite used technology (piano, sound card, CD-players), but you are right, you will choose the piano for other reasons. (Perhaps all current digital pianos have a DAW with 1-bit DAC... but we don't know about.).

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
U
U
Thank you James for allowing me to record the presentation of the NOVUS NV10 yesterday. For all those, who are interested in the NV10 but do not have the chance to visit Musikmesse 2017, here is a video of James presentation. I hope, that this is ok for Kawai, but I expect, that they like it, when news about this great, wonderful instrument is spread.

Martin

Pianos and Service - www.martinwidmannklaviere.de
Piano parts and Accessories - www.pianosupply.de
F
f3r Offline
F
Thanks for the video, Martin!

A
A
Very promising! Nice mechanics, but also very long, slow decays of notes! Binaural samples and it is perfect.

It would be interesting to understand the difference the new sound system makes to the traditional Kawai digital sound. Is it very different? When looking this year I was very impressed by Kawai mechanics and feel, less so by the sound production. We will have to wait a short time...

I did manage to play a Shigeru instrument, which I found quite amazing. If they get closer to this then it is an absolute winner.

More Geese than Swans now live, more Fools than Wise.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Hello Martin, thank you for shooting the video. I did not realise that you had planned to upload to YouTube!

The very first presentation of the first day! I have not watched the clip yet, but I recall stumbling rather badly through the main explanation, and our pianist Entani-san dashing-out of the room in order to collect her sheet music!

I believe subsequent presentations gradually improved, so it would be a little disappointing if your video of the very first performance becomes the only record of our efforts... We can do much better!

Regardless, thank you for joining the presentation!

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
U
U
Hello James, I am aware, that I actually asked about the recording and not for the uploading to youtube. It wasn't really planned. But as the video turned out not too bad, being only a smartphone video, and even the sound is quite decent, I wanted to share it.

Don't worry about some stumbling. The presentation was very natural. It is clear that you and Entani-san very much like what you are doing. So it was a joy to be in the presentation. It surely is a privilege to work for Kawai.

Martin

Pianos and Service - www.martinwidmannklaviere.de
Piano parts and Accessories - www.pianosupply.de
B
B
Originally Posted by Tom Fort
The piano in the video is an SK-3 and the modeled action is also a Shigeru Kawai acoustic grand action.

While the piano is indeed an sk3, he does state the demo action is from the novus and it looks like the novus action from what we've seen so far. Note the carbon composite faux hammer and the lack of actual damper.

Demo grand piano actions typically have a real felt hammer and have the damper rod and felt damper engaging and disengaging with the metal rod.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Hello Martin, thank you for shooting the video. I did not realise that you had planned to upload to YouTube!

The very first presentation of the first day! I have not watched the clip yet, but I recall stumbling rather badly through the main explanation, and our pianist Entani-san dashing-out of the room in order to collect her sheet music!

I believe subsequent presentations gradually improved, so it would be a little disappointing if your video of the very first performance becomes the only record of our efforts... We can do much better!

Regardless, thank you for joining the presentation!

Kind regards,
James
x

You did very well!
It sounds promising, nice move.

Learning piano from scratch since September, 2012.
Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Look after that suit James or you'll never get your deposit back!

OP Offline
Tough crowd...

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Thanks James - very classy and professional - you're a really good presenter! Nice idea to use the Onkyo speakers for the backing, too. I really enjoyed it.

Greg.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
By the way, this model sounds waaay better than any CA I've heard so far. More natural attack, clean and not nasal at all. Held bass notes still have a little static decay, but anyway it sounds better. If this model puts Kawai out of the cheesy sound zone, now that's something!

Learning piano from scratch since September, 2012.
Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
Page 6 of 38 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 37 38

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission