2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
93 members (APianistHasNoName, Beemer, ambrozy, bogbrush, anotherscott, Ampersand, Adypiano, 18 invisible), 1,453 guests, and 573 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2616976 02/22/17 01:19 PM
P
P3T3R Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Does anyone know when the started with the vertical (accu-hitch) pins? The serial number for a Balwin M that I was given works out to 1941, yet two other more recent model Ms have regular angled pins. If I add a 1 to the start of the number it makes it 1970, which seems more likely since the piano is white. I'm wondering if I was just given the wrong number.

Peter
1949 Baldwin M
currently working on Brahms op. 10 Ballades, f-minor sonata and 2nd concerto
Mendelssohn Songs Without Words and E minor Prelude and Fugue
whatever strikes my fancy today.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Around 1970.

My upright piano is for sale!
Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
P
P3T3R Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Thank you.

Peter
1949 Baldwin M
currently working on Brahms op. 10 Ballades, f-minor sonata and 2nd concerto
Mendelssohn Songs Without Words and E minor Prelude and Fugue
whatever strikes my fancy today.
E
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
E
!969 if my memory is right.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I wonder if any piano techs actually use the Baldwin accujust rear hitch pins to adjust the string down-bearing on the bridge? Probably not many.

But it is a unique design Baldwin can claim as its own, I suppose...

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
E
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
E
The system allows stringers and anyone else to misapply or alter significantly the down-bearing. It was not uncommon for the factory to do a poor job, usually applying too much bearing.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Rickster
I wonder if any piano techs actually use the Baldwin accujust rear hitch pins to adjust the string down-bearing on the bridge? Probably not many.

But it is a unique design Baldwin can claim as its own, I suppose...

Rick

Yes. Particularly in the bass where they effectively lengthen the backscale. Just how much depends on the specifics of the design.

I'm not a fan of the original "spring" style of pin, however. I much prefer solid steel pins. My pin of choice is the Driv-Lok Type H solid stainless steel pin.

The marketing reason given by Baldwin was that the vertical hitchpins allowed the factory workers to more precisely adjust the amount of string bearing against the bridge after the piano was strung. This was true but the real reason for introducing them was more production related. It allowed the company to mark, drill, notch and pin the bridges by machine before they were glued to the soundboard thus saving quite a lot of time while, in theory, still allow for precisely adjusting string bearing.

It was a good idea, but like many good ideas, it introduced some problems. It allowed the workers to get really sloppy when setting the height of the string frame. Vertical hitchpins work very well when the strings are kept low on the pin. I don't remember the original specification but I don't like the strings to be more than 4 to 5 mm off the surface. Preferably 3 to 4 mm. I've seen them as much as 12 - 15 mm off the surface in new Baldwins.

In the treble (especially) if the strings are too high there can be significant energy losses. It can also be a little tough on the casting. Baldwin increased the thickness of the casting through the hitchpin area.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon
Originally Posted by Del
Yes. Particularly in the bass where they effectively lengthen the backscale. Just how much depends on the specifics of the design.

I'm not a fan of the original "spring" style of pin, however. I much prefer solid steel pins. My pin of choice is the Driv-Lok Type H solid stainless steel pin.

The marketing reason given by Baldwin was that the vertical hitchpins allowed the factory workers to more precisely adjust the amount of string bearing against the bridge after the piano was strung. This was true but the real reason for introducing them was more production related. It allowed the company to mark, drill, notch and pin the bridges by machine before they were glued to the soundboard thus saving quite a lot of time while, in theory, still allow for precisely adjusting string bearing.

It was a good idea, but like many good ideas, it introduced some problems. It allowed the workers to get really sloppy when setting the height of the string frame. Vertical hitchpins work very well when the strings are kept low on the pin. I don't remember the original specification but I don't like the strings to be more than 4 to 5 mm off the surface. Preferably 3 to 4 mm. I've seen them as much as 12 - 15 mm off the surface in new Baldwins.

In the treble (especially) if the strings are too high there can be significant energy losses. It can also be a little tough on the casting. Baldwin increased the thickness of the casting through the hitchpin area.

ddf

Great information, Del!

I really enjoy reading what you pros write about anything piano related. One of the joys and benefits of being a member of Piano World.

Thanks,

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Twisting dampers
by Mblight - 07/29/21 07:57 AM
RIP Anna Pavlovna Kantor
by pianoloverus - 07/29/21 07:43 AM
Tuning piano festivals/series
by jkess114 - 07/29/21 07:32 AM
Is this a scam?
by roy thompsett - 07/29/21 01:40 AM
What would pair well with a GL30?
by Tim_Noob - 07/28/21 08:26 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,271
Posts3,117,276
Members102,261
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission