2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
65 members (Bach_ingMaddie, CyberGene, antune, c++, BlakeOR, accordeur, ambrozy, anotherscott, bluebilly, 13 invisible), 1,112 guests, and 530 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2616836 02/21/17 11:16 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
So I got a new lesson sign-up, and the student is 85 years old! She left me a voicemail, and her speech was very slow. Has anyone else taught elderly students?

~piano teacher in training~
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Sure, plenty. You'll find your way.

T
T
Has she ever had lessons before, or has she played the piano in the past? Just curious. I'll be 73 soon, and I'm still learning and improving every day. I did have lessons as a younger adult in the past though, and lots of piano and theory classes in college. A friend of mine started lessons for the very first time at age 75. She continued until she died about 3 years later. She enjoyed it and eventually reached a late elementary level. She was very frustrated in the beginning, but that wore off after a couple of lessons when she realized she was making a little progress. Her teacher was using the Hal Leonard Adult method book. No other theory or technique books were used.

O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
I actually thought of myself as an "elderly student" until I read the op laugh

Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
I have not taught an elderly student, but one of my teachers is in her mid-eighties, and she has a 90 year old student. I have heard the student play a decent Mozart piano duet with the teacher. smile .. and the teacher is considering writing another book on piano pedagogy.

They both put me to shame with what they are doing ... and I wish all of the 30 year olds on this forum who wonder 'Am I too old' would meet them. Maybe 80 year olds who take piano lessons just are convinced that age is not a barrier.... so it isn't.

J
J
Hello again "hello my name is". We met on another thread. I am john f and I am almost 79, first piano lesson at age 66. Helps if you had some training in music before, but not necessary. Truly age is not barrier. Enjoy.

X
X
Another 'oldie but goodie' here - age 76 and just started back at the piano after about thirty years. Taking lessons and getting better every week. Age is not an issue with my teacher and AFIC, if you want to learn something, you can no matter what your age.

Meet with her and then make your determination.

'Just Leap and the net will appear'
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
This thread makes me wish there was a "like" button on the forum. I'm inspired y all these elderly students and indeed aspire to be one myself some day!

[Linked Image]
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Theory Grl
She enjoyed it and eventually reached a late elementary level. She was very frustrated in the beginning, but that wore off after a couple of lessons when she realized she was making a little progress.

This was written about a woman in her 70s, but it can refer to most any teen or adult student. Once one realizes that progress is slow and incremental, you just keep at it - preferably with an encouraging teacher at your side - at any age.

To me it is unfortunate how focussed studio piano teachers are on children, at the expense of adults.

Last edited by Peter K. Mose; 02/22/17 12:37 PM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by barbaram
This thread makes me wish there was a "like" button on the forum. I'm inspired y all these elderly students and indeed aspire to be one myself some day!

Me too. At 61 I feel like a youngster smile

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Peter K. Mose

This was written about a woman in her 70s, but it can refer to most any teen or adult student. Once one realizes that progress is slow and incremental, you just keep at it - preferably with an encouraging teacher at your side - at any age.

What struck me is that the only information is the age of the potential student. Not what kind of background she may or may not have in music, what kinds of goals she has, whether she has any kind of disabilities. You would want to know something about the student before being concerned. With advanced age there might be things like vision problems, hearing loss, onset dementia, arthritis .... or none of these.

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by keystring
You would want to know something about the student before being concerned. With advanced age there might be things like vision problems, hearing loss, onset dementia, arthritis .... or none of these.

Good observation, keystring. I think we have a teacher here who is simply unfamiliar with the terrain of older piano students and fretting in advance of the first meeting.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
You would want to know something about the student before being concerned. With advanced age there might be things like vision problems, hearing loss, onset dementia, arthritis .... or none of these.

Good observation, keystring. I think we have a teacher here who is simply unfamiliar with the terrain of older piano students and fretting in advance of the first meeting.

Yes, exactly Peter. smile Fretting is my middle name. I will have a call with her today. I found out she does have some previous experience, she wrote ("If can play some simple pieces I use d to play when I was 15 yeas old, t)at will be enough.") and her two sisters were piano teachers.

//edit//
Just tried to have a call with her but the line kept disconnecting, like, seven times, no exaggeration. I guess the landlines in the retirement homes are not so good. She said maybe it keeps disconnecting because she talks so much lol. It looks like she had a piano teacher some years ago, but stopped because she got busy with her husband who had Parkinson's. Now she wants to get back into it and wants to enjoy music since she doesn't know how much longer she has to live. She said she has a book. She said her fingers are not that strong, because she is 85 years old. Didn't mention any other health issues at this point but then again the line kept disconnecting..

Last edited by hello my name is; 02/22/17 08:01 PM.

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
I think the OP is just worried she could be "stuck" with this student for the next 15 years.;) Just joking.

Seriously, you will probably have a great time with this student.

Last edited by Candywoman; 02/22/17 08:44 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Now you've got me wondering if my teacher thinks of me as "elderly."

Learner
P
P
Originally Posted by dogperson
and I wish all of the 30 year olds on this forum who wonder 'Am I too old'

That always makes me laugh and not just with learning piano. Some people just "think" themselves old far too early or simply use age as an excuse. My simple view is that your basic ability to learn something new remains a pretty flat line from the age of around 20 to an age I haven't yet personally determined (I'm only 49)! Sure young kids tend to learn much quicker (if they can be bothered to apply themselves), but that accelerated learning ability appears to disappear pretty quickly even in the early teen years.

Roland GP-607
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

What struck me is that the only information is the age of the potential student. Not what kind of background she may or may not have in music, what kinds of goals she has, whether she has any kind of disabilities. You would want to know something about the student before being concerned. With advanced age there might be things like vision problems, hearing loss, onset dementia, arthritis .... or none of these.

Vision loss, hearing problems and arthritis are pretty common in my age group!

Sam

M
M
Originally Posted by hello my name is

Yes, exactly Peter. smile Fretting is my middle name. I will have a call with her today. I found out she does have some previous experience, she wrote ("If can play some simple pieces I use d to play when I was 15 yeas old, t)at will be enough.") and her two sisters were piano teachers.

//edit//
Just tried to have a call with her but the line kept disconnecting, like, seven times, no exaggeration. I guess the landlines in the retirement homes are not so good. She said maybe it keeps disconnecting because she talks so much lol. It looks like she had a piano teacher some years ago, but stopped because she got busy with her husband who had Parkinson's. Now she wants to get back into it and wants to enjoy music since she doesn't know how much longer she has to live. She said she has a book. She said her fingers are not that strong, because she is 85 years old. Didn't mention any other health issues at this point but then again the line kept disconnecting..
I would set up an interview with her, and have her bring the pieces she'd like to play if she has them. I think face to face is always best.

I think after you hear her play and speak with her you'll have a clearer picture of what direction to go with her.

I think it's great that she wants to get back into piano.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Morodiene
I would set up an interview with her, and have her bring the pieces she'd like to play if she has them. I think face to face is always best.

I think after you hear her play and speak with her you'll have a clearer picture of what direction to go with her.

I think it's great that she wants to get back into piano.

So the books she has are : Czerny 599 and 849. and The Library of Piano Classics, 1 and 2.
I'm not familiar with either.

Originally Posted by hello my name is
So the books she has are : Czerny 599 and 849. and The Library of Piano Classics, 1 and 2.
I'm not familiar with either.

There is a Library of Piano Classics, and a Library of Easy Piano Classics vol. 1 & 2. I saw comments that the latter has simplified classical pieces. The Czerny opuses can be found on IMSLP. Surprisingly, I just stumbled on a bunch of videos of a very young Yuja Wang playing some of the Czerny Op. 849 exercises! shocked
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUUEA_XaNNc

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Distance of Grand Piano from wall
by Damien PG - 06/19/21 11:20 AM
Insomniac pianists
by Emery Wang - 06/19/21 10:56 AM
First digital piano - F-701 vs P515
by Sebeto - 06/19/21 09:52 AM
Why do great concert halls buy new?
by Ppianissimo - 06/19/21 09:35 AM
Kawai MP11SE successor thoughts
by Quatschmacher - 06/19/21 09:35 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,603
Posts3,105,153
Members101,857
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission