2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2614823 02/15/17 06:25 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
How do you handle it?

I have a parent who will not buy four piano books for his daughter, simply by ignoring my multiple requests and sending his daughter with an old book that belonged to her brother. Seriously, kind of frustrating.

Do you have your parents buy books for their children or do you include a materials fee and buy the books for them as included in that fee? Do you buy the books and charge them for it?

~piano teacher in training~
M
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
M
One teacher I had for my kids charged peanuts for her lessons but had the kids buy 7 books from her. That kinda felt icky.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by hello my name is
I have a parent who will not buy four piano books for his daughter, simply by ignoring my multiple requests and sending his daughter with an old book that belonged to her brother. Seriously, kind of frustrating.

You should let the parent know why it is better to get the books you want to use. Some parents need more "education" than others.

If they flat-out refuse to buy more books, then you can always use the hand-me-down books and scribble all over it and make it look more worthless than it already is.

Or you can just tell them specific pages to print from imslp.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark Cerisano, RPT
One teacher I had for my kids charged peanuts for her lessons but had the kids buy 7 books from her. That kinda felt icky.

What would you have preferred?

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
All the books I ever used as a student were bought for me by my teachers and added on to the monthly rates my parents paid for me. No if's, no but's. The cost of the books were printed on the books, or had the store's price labels stuck on them, so there was no arguing about their prices (this was before the internet).

These days, I'd have thought that if you bought the books at the cheapest Amazon prices, the parents can't accuse you of short-changing them. You can tell them you relieved them of the time & effort they would otherwise have spent to buy the books themselves - gratis........

If music be the food of love, play on!
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Yeah, that's kind of how I feel bennevis.. except my situation is that I bought books at the local music store, but they are more expensive than Amazon, so I feel kind of bad if I ask them to pay for them.

When I had a piano teacher, she sent me home with a list, and my mom had to buy the books at the music store. There was no thought that it was optional O_o

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Seems to me that one needs to have a discussion about this with the parents before lessons commence, to avoid this sort of dilemma.

I always procure music for my early-level students, and no parent has ever balked for a child. Adult students usually like a new book or two also. However, I try not to make anyone spend too much, too often. I often absorb some of costs myself, selling materials at a discount.

Regarding the OP, I'd be surprised if a young student really needs four books all at once.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by Peter K. Mose
Seems to me that one needs to have a discussion about this with the parents before lessons commence, to avoid this sort of dilemma.

I always procure music for my early-level students, and no parent has ever balked for a child. Adult students usually like a new book or two also. However, I try not to make anyone spend too much, too often. I often absorb some of costs myself, selling materials at a discount.

Regarding the OP, I'd be surprised if a young student really needs four books all at once.

sheet music plus has an 8% rebate policy for teachers. I haven't compared the prices to Amazon, etc. but would the rebate compensate so that you don't need to absorb costs? I honestly would not expect my teacher to provide materials at a discount.... she already doesn't get paid enough for what I gain.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
If the parents nickel and dime you over an 8% discount for books, it's time to fire them.

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
If the parents nickel and dime you over an 8% discount for books, it's time to fire them.

YES!!!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
If you buy the books at a local music store instead of Amazon etc, you help the local store stay in business.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
This is all weird to me, because long ago, when I used method books, we always got a teacher's discount.

I simply passed the savings along to my students. Never any complaints.

That was something like 30 years ago.

Today I print out all my music on an as needs basis and charge a bit for paper an ink...

M
M
I just tell the parents that they are expected to buy books and let them know they can buy them on amazon. I usually text them pictures of hte books so they know what to get. It's really never been a problem.

If a student is a transfer(wreck), I'll usually try to use whatever books they were working out of except if they are really bad. Then I have them buy new ones once that level is done. I am always shocked how bad some of them are, though.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Peter -- Yes, it looks like there are a lot of things that need to take place in that first lesson! I wish publishers did All-in-one for kids like they do for adults, but if you count Lesson, Technic, Theory, and a Recital sort of book, that's already four books.

dogperson-- I didn't know about any rebate policy. Thanks for the info. I do buy my books at the local music store, because I like them smile but it is a tad more expensive than Amazon.

Gary-- where do you print all your music from? smile probably a big question.

Morodiene-- She only has one book, a Bastien primer lesson book (with all the note names written in by her older brother, mind you), and I'd really like her to have something else too to supplement that.

Last edited by hello my name is; 02/17/17 12:12 AM.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
She only has one book, a Bastien primer lesson book (with all the note names written in by her older brother, mind you)

If you're nice, you can ask the kid to white out the finger numbers. If you're in a foul mood, a black sharpie will do the trick.

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G

Gary-- where do you print all your music from? smile probably a big question.

A printer. All my music is done in Finale. I print out on an as needs basis.

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Morodiene
I just tell the parents that they are expected to buy books and let them know they can buy them on amazon. I usually text them pictures of hte books so they know what to get. It's really never been a problem.

If a student is a transfer(wreck), I'll usually try to use whatever books they were working out of except if they are really bad. Then I have them buy new ones once that level is done. I am always shocked how bad some of them are, though.

You obviously are not dealing with some of the idiots I deal with - I'm talking about parents.

It can take them weeks to get anything done. By the time they get what I ask for it's almost too late. And I swear it is getting worse now every year.

B
B
Peter -- Yes, it looks like there are a lot of things that need to take place in that first lesson! I wish publishers did All-in-one for kids like they do for adults, but if you count Lesson, Technic, Theory, and a Recital sort of book, that's already four books.

I was taught on an all-in-one series of primers that take beginners from zero skills & knowledge to being able to read and play. It even includes teacher accompaniments right from the first lesson ('piece') which ingrain an excellent sense of rhythm - and ensure he plays everything in strict time - in the beginner. From my own experience as a 10 yr old beginner, that was a big attraction that made me practice what I'd learnt properly, so that I could then hear how 'my pieces' would sound with rich chords and/or dancing bass line in my next lesson.

Sure, everything is taught step by step and slowly, with a lot of 'revision' along the way, but that is how things get fixed in the brain, and imprinted forever. (Incidentally, that was also how I learnt the Western alphabet and English, starting at nine). Not by jumping ahead, and running before one can stand, for the sake of instant gratification, as in so many 'fashionable' beginner primers that I see these days. And I don't just mean the ones designed for adults.

If music be the food of love, play on!
M
M
Originally Posted by Gary D.
Originally Posted by Morodiene

You obviously are not dealing with some of the idiots I deal with - I'm talking about parents.

It can take them weeks to get anything done. By the time they get what I ask for it's almost too late. And I swear it is getting worse now every year.

Maybe I've been lucky. I used to buy them for students, and if I happen to have extra books, I may sell them to the student for list price (no tax). But as long as they can get them on amazon I think many have amazon prime or order from them all the time anyways, so that is convenient.

If they had to go to a store, forget about it.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission