2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
51 members (20/20 Vision, 36251, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 8 invisible), 1,397 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 73 of 80 1 2 71 72 73 74 75 79 80
Hi all

Bad news some electric issue on the electric line ... now my MP7 dont work anymore no light nothing..

Does anyone know if the power supply of the MP7 is fused . My warranty just down those last month....

sad day

Last edited by armani; 01/18/17 05:22 PM.

"la vie c'est comme une dent ..." Boris Vian
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
There are a minimum of 2 fuses inside.
see the 4th and 5th picture in this post
DPs exposed: Kawai MP7

But I did not find any mention of them in the User Manual.
Therefore I would suggest to contact a qualified technician from Kawai service, who might be able to spot, if there has been done more damage to the electronic boards.
You could try to get the costs of repair back from your household insurance or the person who caused the electric issues.

HTH

Last edited by lophiomys; 01/18/17 05:56 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello armani,

I'm sorry to hear that.

However, it's possible that just the power supply or a component within the power supply took the brunt of the electric charge. Please contact your Kawai dealer to explain the situation and request technical assistance. Fingers crossed a technician is able to investigate and resolve the issue quickly.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Thanks for your support guys

Anyone as already open his MP7 i need to see the fuses before bringing it The kawai dealer tell me it could be a solution .

not such easy at first sight.

Thanks

Hello guys
Good news nothing seems being hurted in my keyboards electronic. And changing the fuse resolve all problems.

So for opening the kawai MP7 4 screws on the rear panel at the bottom. and 4 big screws under the keyboard on each side ; and just pivoting back the metallic part holding the wood side (only the keys will not move).

Good to hear that replacing the fuses has brought your MP7 back.

Kind regards,
James
x

A
A
Gradually I become more impressed by MP7. The APs certainly need serious tweaking, at least for hearing through Sennheiser 650: the default configurations are bleak and give some disappointment at the beginning. Now, however, I can even apply vibrating sustain pedaling for getting nuances in co-sounding overtones. Studio Grand 1 seems to be the richest AP, and I can discern sounds of 10 or even more simultaneous notes in various registers including basses, which is impossible in Yamaha Motif APs that I have.

The only frustration is impossibility to trigger voices using a pedal. As a professional programmer I understand that such feature could be easily implemented, maybe even in form of a simple software update. Clearly this applies to MP11 too.

Hello Andrew, thank you for your post.

May I ask if you would be willing to share some of your adjusted sounds (using the 'Save Single' function in the USB menu) with other members of the forum, please? I would also be interested in hearing your adjustments too.

Originally Posted by AndrewGleibman
The only frustration is impossibility to trigger voices using a pedal.

May I ask you to elaborate on this please?
What kind of voices would you like to be able to trigger, and from which pedal?

Kind regards,
James
x

V
V
Hello Andrew,

The same applies to me. I am also curious to your tweaks. And could you explain a little more what you mean with "vibrating sustain pedaling"? Is this a special piano technique? Does it have to do with half-pedaling?

Thanks!

V
V
Hello all,

The choir that I accompany has some problems with counting. I thought to record the melody on my MP7 together with the Metronome click, to help them with the timing.
It is not possible, however, to include the metronome click sound to the recording. It is possible to record the drum patterns. The music style of this piece is not suited however to put some drum pattern below it. The easy possibility to create such recording is awesome!

So my suggestion for a next firmware is to be able to also include the metronome tick to the recording. It could be a setting in the Line menu where you select whether to record only internal sounds or 'all' (i.e. also the line in signal). Add a third setting: internal+metronome or so. If the metronome is set to drum pattern, then this will be recorded, if it is set to click, then the click will be recorded.

I repeat once more my (even stronger) wish to change the naming procedure of the audio files, expressed on page 46.
It cost a lot of time to re-input the filename each time (as the suggested name is always 'AUDIO-000' instead of the name of the file currently open).

Kind regards!
Vincent

Hello Vincent,

Thank you for your suggestion regarding the ability to specify whether the metronome should or should not be recorded to the audio file.

Regarding the default filename, I believe the number should increment automatically (e.g. AUDIO-000, AUDIO-001, AUDIO-001, etc.) - may I ask you to clarify your request, please?

Kind regards,
James
x

Vido #2611245 02/03/17 11:42 AM
Bronze Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Vido
Hello all,

The choir that I accompany has some problems with counting. I thought to record the melody on my MP7 together with the Metronome click, to help them with the timing.
It is not possible, however, to include the metronome click sound to the recording. It is possible to record the drum patterns. The music style of this piece is not suited however to put some drum pattern below it. The easy possibility to create such recording is awesome!
Kind regards!
Vincent

Vincent - This is a good suggestion. Unless/until there is a change in functionality, you might consider a few of the simpler drum patterns which are perhaps straight enough to approximate a click metronome.

Here's a very simple, straight ahead drum track that is fairly close to a metronome... C:16Straight V:RimBeat

This might do the trick for your purposes.

Regards, OneWatt

A
A
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Hello Andrew, thank you for your post.

May I ask if you would be willing to share some of your adjusted sounds (using the 'Save Single' function in the USB menu) with other members of the forum, please? I would also be interested in hearing your adjustments too.

The only frustration is impossibility to trigger voices using a pedal.

May I ask you to elaborate on this please?
What kind of voices would you like to be able to trigger, and from which pedal?

Kind regards,
James
x

Hi James, sorry for not replying sooner...

The following MP7 tweaks for Sennheiser 650 work for me, generally for most AP patches:

Reverb Type: Concert Hall, Depth: 50
Damper Resonance: 10
Keyboard Touch: Heavy+
String Resonance: 10 (less important)
DCARelease: 3 or 4-5

Comments:

1) For some reason (I think this is a software bug), after storing these settings and pressing Panic button or rebooting the instrument, the Reverb Type is lost. Instead of Concert Hall, Small Hall is activated. This setting is almost as good too if you rise the Depth parameter, e.g., from 50 to 80, or even more.

2) For MP7 APs, the default keyboard setting (Normal) is totally unusable. Maybe it works for MP11, bot not for MP7. Every attempt to play quick passages in bass registers almost kills sounds of higher registers. On the other hand, Heavy+ option is excellent, and it even allows combining and hearing bass glissandi with p or mp sounds in high registers.

Concerning triggering voices:

IMO, MP7 soft pedal is unusable since pressing this pedal modifies the sound even without playing notes. I think a better design would be attaching to a piano patch (e.g., to Jazz Grand) another patch (e.g., some mild piano patch, clav, or a music box patch) in such a way that depressing Soft pedal would deactivate the main patch and activate this another patch until Soft pedal is released.

This would provide many options for combining sounds during performance.

Kind regards,
Andrew

Vido #2612135 02/06/17 01:53 PM
A
A
Originally Posted by Vido
Hello Andrew,

The same applies to me. I am also curious to your tweaks. And could you explain a little more what you mean with "vibrating sustain pedaling"? Is this a special piano technique? Does it have to do with half-pedaling?

Thanks!

Hi Vido,

"Vibrating sustain pedaling": In a real acoustic piano, one can play a note, depress and release damper pedal (maybe not completely release), then immediately depress it again, and do this several times. That is, some resonances remain and can be cyclically manipulated in the same manner until total decay. This is a source of many interesting nuances. Great Russian composer Alexander Scriabin applied such effects so masterly that in the pianist world there was expression "Sashkina Pedal" (Sasha's pedal). This technique is seldom written explicitly in sheet music. Maybe "Sensa Ped" means something like that. Fortunately, some replica of this technique is possible in MP7.

Kind regards,
Andrew

Edit: The played note should be released before vibrating the pedal. This effect is best heared for bass notes.

Last edited by AndrewGleibman; 02/06/17 04:10 PM.
Hello Andrew,

Thank you for your feedback, and for sharing your adjustments. I see that you like lots of resonance (like me!) wink

With regards to your comments:

1) For some reason (I think this is a software bug), after storing these settings and pressing Panic button or rebooting the instrument, the Reverb Type is lost. Instead of Concert Hall, Small Hall is activated. This setting is almost as good too if you rise the Depth parameter, e.g., from 50 to 80, or even more.

This is not a bug but a design decision (some may say limitation) of the MP7 that prevents the Reverb Type from being stored to a SOUND memory. The Reverb Type is a [C]ommon parameter (i.e. it applies to all sounds), and can therefore only be stored to a SETUP memory. This is why, when storing your preferred settings to a SOUND or POWERON memory, the Reverb Type value will revert to the default of Small Hall.

2) For MP7 APs, the default keyboard setting (Normal) is totally unusable. Maybe it works for MP11, bot not for MP7. Every attempt to play quick passages in bass registers almost kills sounds of higher registers. On the other hand, Heavy+ option is excellent, and it even allows combining and hearing bass glissandi with p or mp sounds in high registers.

Yes, I can appreciate your point. I believe some Kawai customers do prefer the Heavier touch curves.

IMO, MP7 soft pedal is unusable since pressing this pedal modifies the sound even without playing notes.

How does the sound change? Do you mean that pressing the soft pedal influences notes that have already been played (and are still playing), rather than only the newly played notes?

I think a better design would be attaching to a piano patch (e.g., to Jazz Grand) another patch (e.g., some mild piano patch, clav, or a music box patch) in such a way that depressing Soft pedal would deactivate the main patch and activate this another patch until Soft pedal is released.

That's an interesting idea. Do you know of any other stage pianos that utilise the soft pedal in this way?

Kind regards,
James
x

"Vibrating sustain pedaling": In a real acoustic piano, one can play a note, depress and release damper pedal (maybe not completely release), then immediately depress it again, and do this several times. That is, some resonances remain and can be cyclically manipulated in the same manner until total decay. This is a source of many interesting nuances. Great Russian composer Alexander Scriabin applied such effects so masterly that in the pianist world there was expression "Sashkina Pedal" (Sasha's pedal). This technique is seldom written explicitly in sheet music. Maybe "Sensa Ped" means something like that. Fortunately, some replica of this technique is possible in MP7.

I have not tried this technique myself, however I have:

1. Playing a note (fortissimo).
2. Press and hold the damper pedal.
3. Release the note, then repress very gently (so as not to trigger a sound)
4. Press and release the damper pedal repeatedly.

It should be possible to continue to hear the originally played note, while pressing and releasing the damper pedal changes its character slightly. I believe this behaviour was implemented in the v1.11 software update.

Kind regards,
James
x

A
A
Hello James,
The Reverb Type is a [C]ommon parameter (i.e. it applies to all sounds), and can therefore only be stored to a SETUP memory. This is why, when storing your preferred settings to a SOUND or POWERON memory, the Reverb Type value will revert to the default of Small Hall.
Thanks for the clarification.

How does the sound change? Do you mean that pressing the soft pedal influences notes that have already been played (and are still playing), rather than only the newly played notes?
Newly played notes are modified too, but only after that unwanted artifact of modifying the previously generated sound just by pressing Soft pedal.

Do you know of any other stage pianos that utilize the soft pedal in this way?
My knowledge is limited, but I guess this idea is not too new. For example, in his Yamaha CP4 demo, Bruno Zucchetti is pressing some pedal for triggering active patches.

For a grand (not an upright) piano, Soft pedal is actually a Una Corda pedal that requires totally different patch. The hammer strikes a single string of the double or triple string set rather than the whole set. This is completely different physical phenomenon, and it requires special treatment in form of specially sampled patch. However, a MP7 user may modify some already existing patch (e.g., harpsichord or another piano patch) for mimicking Una Corda sounds. If this sound can be triggered by Soft pedal, this will be almost exact replica of Una Corda pedal.

For an ordinary user-pianist this would require some serious work, but I guess some advanced users or a 3rd party will soon prepare usable setups for triggering interesting voice combinations using Soft or another pedal.

Kind regards,
Andrew

Last edited by AndrewGleibman; 02/07/17 12:45 PM.
A
A
Hi Folks,

this is my first post after been a long time lurker on here :-)

I'm a new MP7 owner. Great board, great piano sounds, nice EPs, nice controls and layout, nice (almost) seamless transitions from sound to sound! This comes from a long time NORD STAGE 2 user. I still have the NS2 but I wanted to have something that felt and sounded more like a piano when actually playing not only when listening to it. So that's how I got my MP7.

My only problem so far: I've been trying to create a wah-clavinet sound which is controlled by the expression pedal. It does work (sort of) but it's almost impossible to play the pedal in time or to create special rhythms (like quarter note wah or eight note wah...) because of the great lag between the pedal and the actual change of sound - is this normal?

Do you understand my problem or would audio examples by usefull?

Best regards, Alex

My YouTube channel with free piano / music theory video tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/c/AlexanderNagel
My website: http://www.alex-nagel.de
My band: http://www.acouticavenue.de, http://www.mobile-gentlemen.de
Bronze Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Alex -

Congratulations on your MP7 ... great board indeed.

You've done a fine job of describing the pedal lag behavior that you are experiencing, but it's difficult to be of help without seeing if we can replicate the situation.

Would it be possible to share the essential settings you've established that produce the effect? Then perhaps others can chime in to see how we might suggest you overcome the issue you've described?

- OneWatt

Hello Alex, welcome to the forum.

I'm glad to read that you're enjoying your MP7.

Regarding your query, may I ask if you can perhaps create a recording from the NS2 of the kind of effect you're trying to recreate using the MP7. I cannot promise that we will be able to recreate it 100%, but may be able to come close.

Kind regards,
James
x

Page 73 of 80 1 2 71 72 73 74 75 79 80

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission