2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, danno858, 11 invisible), 1,894 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
OP Offline
R
Obviously the felt glove that came with my (second hand) piano is for wiping the surface. However one side is red, and the other is a light brown color. Which side do I use on the piano finish? And is it meant to have any kind of special cleaning fluid, polish, added? And what is the method/interval/etc. when using it? Oh - and can I wash the glove? If so how? Just toss it in with my clothes, or is that a big no-no?

Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RealFamilyMan
Obviously the felt glove that came with my (second hand) piano is for wiping the surface. However one side is red, and the other is a light brown color. Which side do I use on the piano finish? And is it meant to have any kind of special cleaning fluid, polish, added? And what is the method/interval/etc. when using it? Oh - and can I wash the glove? If so how? Just toss it in with my clothes, or is that a big no-no?

Without knowing exactly what you have I will it a shot here.

Many manufacturers send a chamois or polishing cloth along with the piano. Some are glove shaped (more like a mitten). The side that appears to be softest is the side to use on the piano.

There is not any polish inside the glove and you can use it just like you would use any other polishing cloth. It is just a complimentary little "surprise" for a customer after they have made their purchase.

I hope that helps,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
R
OP Offline
R
Thanks Rich... Yes, it is more like a mitten. The red side is only half, so I guess that is the side that is against the back of your hand. The light brown side is the full length and it feels synthetic. It might be some kind of microfibre material.

I need to search the archives for what (if any) liquid to use. (Mild detergent, polish, alcohol!?) I *think* I remember a piano store telling me they use a little methylated spirit added to water in a squirter bottle on their new pianos. But I see so many pianos with scratched surfaces, I want to get that right... i.e. Just using a dry cloth doesn't sit right with me, but maybe I'm wrong and any liquid should be avoided.

Last edited by RealFamilyMan; 01/23/17 12:20 PM.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Is your piano's finish gloss, or matte? That affects how you would care for it.

As a general rule, Cory's Piano Polish (and other products) is well thought-of. I buy mine from my piano tech when he is here, and it is also carried by http://pianosupplies.com , PW's 'other half.'

I would also consult the store (if you bought yours through one) or the manufacturer for their instructions or recommendations on how to care for your finish.

Be very gingerly about how you use that oven mitt. House dust can be very abrasive, and you can put dust scratches on your piano while trying to be good to it. Personally, I do not use a cloth for dusting. A good-quality ostrich feather duster moves the dust off the lid very effectively, without sandpapering it.

The keys are likely to need actual cleaning more than the lid will need polishing. Kawai's instructions: very soft cotton cloth, very lightly damp, with a short spray of Windex, sprayed only on the cloth. The moisture film should never stand more than two seconds, if that, on the keytops, and never ever run down the sides of the keys. Ever.

Best practice is to wash the hands before playing, and never eat fried chicken while playing.

Clef

L
L
Originally Posted by Jeff Clef
Best practice is to wash the hands before playing, and never eat fried chicken while playing.

Well, there goes my practice schedule.

1986 Kawai GE-2 (5'7")
Casio PX-100 DP
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Don't give up playing just because of that. The Colonel will still be there after your practice session.

Clef

R
OP Offline
R
LOL @ the fried chicken.

It's a brown piano with gloss finish. Great advice, thank you. ;-)

R
OP Offline
R
Is there any reason I shouldn't use microfiber cloths to clean the piano?

And would this be fine for a duster?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/mr-clean-microfibre-dust-buster_p4460347

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission