2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
51 members (accordeur, Bostonmoores, APianistHasNoName, anotherscott, Augustina, 36251, 8 invisible), 1,436 guests, and 738 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
a226 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hi there,

I recently tried playing a Yamaha CVP-701 and a CVP-709. I felt that CVP-709 action is a lot better than 701, but I couldn't exactly tell why! I assume that both models basically have the same action (GH3X), with CVP-709 adds the natural wood X (NWX), which I doubt it contributes much in the key action. So is there any particular point that makes the touch of CVP-709 better?

I'm asking this question because I might have been amazed by CVP-709 appearance and the sound quality, and wrongly concluded that the key action was a lot better. I'm determined to buy a CVP series Yamaha, but the price gap between these two is big. Do you guys have any good (or bad) experice with the key action of CVP-701? Any commnet will help me a lot!

Thanks!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
a226, in addition to featuring the NWX keyboard action, the CVP-709 also incorporates counterweights within the keys.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
P
pmh Offline
P
a226 , James is exactly right. I own the CVP709 and the counterweights in particular allow you to play very softly with accuracy. I realise its expensive but the features are fantastic. Good luck with your search.

Paul H

Kemble Compact Acoustic Piano, Yamaha CVP 709 Polished White, Kawai MP11se, Pianoteq Standard, Galaxy Vintage D, Garritan CFX.
A
a226 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thank you guys!

That's true. I specifically realized that playing trill and tremolo is a lot easier in 709, which is probably due to the key counterweights!

R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
I just wanted to add an additional note to this thread.

I decided to add another digital piano to the collection this year for the kids and really wanted the bells and whistles of the CVP line. I tried out all the models along with many non-Yamaha digitals but ultimately opted for the CVP-701 (based primarily on price). Instrument arrived yesterday and while I love all the features as it makes the whole experience entertaining, the sound reinforcement in this mode quite frankly stinks. In fact, I moved it beside a very old CLP-170 and I can say without a doubt that the amp/speaker setup of the CLP is MUCH better.

My point is that not only is the action better on the higher end models, but just as important (unless you are dedicated to headphone use) is the sound reinforcement which improves as you go up the ladder. That said, I knew this when I purchased the unit as I had every intention of disabling the internal amp and using a pair of decent near field monitors with 1 or 2 subs. Total cost is still significantly lower than upgrading to a higher end model although the higher models do have that lovely touch screen interface.

Rodney

Last edited by Rodney; 01/06/17 05:47 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
CVP-701 : 2x25W... The sound speakers can't rival my CLP150 (2x60W)... and then your CLP170 (don't know how much power). It is sad that more amp power means A LOT more expensive and then it is cheaper to buy another speakers set.

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I played the cvp 601 against the 609. Didn`t want to buy either because of their looks. But the 609 was the best piano I`ve ever played. The keyboard was wonderful and gave a feeling of total control which I`ve never encountered since. Even most acoustics didn`t come close to that. Allegedly, m`lud .

Edit Seems from what I read that from my own viewpoint I might be better looking at expensive previous models when I change my current piano . . .

Last edited by peterws; 01/07/17 03:11 AM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Ten greatest Chopin works
by pianoloverus - 07/24/21 08:34 PM
KORG DS-1H pedal issues with Korg D1
by Mta88 - 07/24/21 04:28 PM
What is this musical symbol?
by pianoloverus - 07/24/21 02:55 PM
I Want To Be Happy
by Simon_b - 07/24/21 02:20 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,192
Posts3,116,054
Members102,225
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission