2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
66 members (ando, bobrunyan, coz, brdwyguy, august112, An Old Square, accordeur, ChrisGoesPiano, 36251, 14 invisible), 686 guests, and 409 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
AdrianR Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hi there

A week ago I made a post in the piano forum to ask about buying a 86-year old piano. Since then I have asked my dealer to send me some more detailed pictures of the inside (since the dealer is located pretty far away).

So here's my question (and I know it's probably not very smart to ask this based on pictures but): does this grand on first sight look worthwile to go and have a look at?

As stated before I'm aware of the fact that I'll probably need a technician to come and look at the instrument, but you might be able to see things that I don't. (perhaps something with bigger pins being used?)

Any help is welcome, thanks!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by AdrianR; 12/15/16 10:32 AM.

Grotrian Steinweg 220
Kawai CA97
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Pictures seem a bit out of focused. Perhaps by design.

If a 86 year old piano has had nothing done then I would expect you would need to make some restoration. Strings, pins , maybe even pin block. Then you have to worry about the condition of the soundboard and action.

If the dealer is not giving you a full representation of the piano then it's for a reason. When I was shopping I had some dealers give me full information on the piano and based on my expectations some were honest enough to tell me that the certain piano in question was not for me.

A
AdrianR Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Miguel Rey

If a 86 year old piano has had nothing done then I would expect you would need to make some restoration. Strings, pins , maybe even pin block. Then you have to worry about the condition of the soundboard and action.

If the dealer is not giving you a full representation of the piano then it's for a reason. When I was shopping I had some dealers give me full information on the piano and based on my expectations some were honest enough to tell me that the certain piano in question was not for me.

I forgot to mention that the piano "has been fully revised 30 years ago" ~dixit dealer.

Grotrian Steinweg 220
Kawai CA97
K
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K
These photos are junk.

I regularly do preliminary evaluations of pianos by photos and many pianos today are marketed that way. But either the dealer is not knowledgeable about what is needed or is trying to hide something. You need a series of 20 or so photos that show the action out of the piano with hammers down and raised, you need closeups of the bridges and overall photos all around. You need photos of each subject area taken from multiple angles. Closeups need a wide-angle shot to establish context. And, of course, they should be high-definition and in focus.

Typically, really good photos are too large to email, so they need to be hosted on a site like Google Drive, Box, Dropbox or one of the photo sites. When they are downloaded they should be able to fill the screen at their native resolution. They should still be sharp if you zoom in on the computer.

Any opinion offered on the piano based on these photos is no better than the photos themselves.

Hope it works out to get quality photos. This "could" be a nice piano.

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
USA Distributor for Isaac Cadenza hammers and Profundo Bass Strings
Supporting Piano Owners D-I-Y piano tuning and repair
editor emeritus of Piano Technicians Journal
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AdrianR
Originally Posted by Miguel Rey

I forgot to mention that the piano "has been fully revised 30 years ago" ~dixit dealer.

30 years still a long time & who knows what was done 30 years ago... Just send in a outside tech to take a look if the starting price is cheap enough.

B
B
Today's smartphones take better pictures than these!

Don

Don, playing the blues in Austin, Texas on a 48" family heirloom Steinway upright, 100 year old 54" Weber upright, unknown make turn of the century 54" upright -- says "Whittier NY" on the plate, Starr, ca. 100 years old full size upright.
I guess I'd think of the piano as a rebuild core. It probably needs everything. Also, make sure you like the sound of the Grotian. There are some nice concerts played on rebuilt ones on youtube. The sound is not to everyone's taste. Also see the thread "Revenge of the Grotians" from a few years ago on Piano World. If you are buying it as a core, price accordingly.

Seiler 206, Chickering 145, Estey 2 manual reed organ, Fudge clavichord, Zuckerman single harpsichord, Technics P-30, Roland RD-100.
D
D
Some signs tell me that it will be an ok piano. Sure, you have to count with new parts as hammers, strings, pins, dampers etc. But to me on the first sight the piano looks usable. I can't see any signs of worms/mothes, it is quite clean, no big stains on the strings and board, dampers in position (they look like 30 years old). One can't see the action but usually the action is a mirror of the view you see from above. If you see rust, holes after mothes etc., then the action will be crap. You have a chance. But what is the price for it? Everything has its own price... Hehe.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bach Marcello Adagio Melody
by tjkane - 12/09/21 08:45 AM
1908 Knabe?
by beginagain - 12/09/21 12:54 AM
Piano lid material?
by Davdoc - 12/09/21 12:49 AM
Thoughts on Technics PR903
by McBuster - 12/09/21 12:46 AM
Kawai VPC-1 or Roland A88 MKII (or FP30X)?
by detektorosradio - 12/08/21 06:03 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,465
Posts3,151,724
Members103,566
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission