2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
62 members (ambrozy, 36251, anotherscott, beeboss, Alex Hutor, Beowulf, bobrunyan, astrotoy, 9 invisible), 531 guests, and 593 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2595694 12/17/16 11:28 PM
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
PAST: 2015 Achievements
Weekly lessons.

Passed AMEB Grade 8 with Honours (Blog)

PRESENT: 2016 Achievements

1st year fortnightly lessons

New Piece for Exam Next Year
Bach: Prelude & Fugue No. 9 in E, BWV878 (submitted for Baroque recital)

Pieces Resurrected for Exam Next Year
Mozart: Sonata in C, K330 (2nd movement submitted for recital 44)
Rachmaninov: Prelude No. 12 in G# minor (submitted for Russian recital)
Ravel: La Vallee Des Cloches (Signed up for French recital next year)
Chopin: Waltz No. 14 in E minor

New Pieces (Stretch Pieces)
Liszt: Waldesrauchen, Concert Etude (first ever Liszt piece)
Chopin: Ballade No. 1 (Blog)
Chopin: Etude No. 4, Op. 10 (started learning 3 weeks ago)

Music Theory
To sit for AMEB Grade 5 theory exam in 2 weeks time

Recordings
Recorded about 10 pieces for sister's wedding for use in church and reception (Blog)

FUTURE: Goal for 2017
AMEB AMusA diploma exam???

What does your past year, current year and next year look like?

Last edited by Tubbie0075; 12/18/16 01:33 AM.

Be yourself

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Congratulations Tubbie. Thanks for the thoughtful post.

Past: I started almost five years ago. I came from the world of pennywhistles and Irish flute. I have performed on a grand piano on stage. I compose original music. I have written a modest suite of piano music, The Capistrano Suite.

Present: I enjoy what little I can do. My skill levels are low (sight reading, play by ear, music theory). I will never pass any exam. I don't have the personality or resources for a teacher. I play a few covers, and write original music. I get out and perform in front of small audiences.

Future: Hard to say. The road I am on is satisfying. The roads others on the forum are taking seem incredibly difficult for me to even contemplate. I have some chronic problems such as repetitive stress symptoms which limit my practice time. Tinnitus (ringing in the ears) which limits my ability to play by ear. My brain struggles with dots and lines (aka sheet music), so much that I coined the term "dot-dyslexic."

I would love to be able to sing and play. It would permit me to apply my lyric writing skills to piano. I am a competent songwriter. Whenever I mention songs with lyrics, there tends to be dead silence, zero interest. So my guess is that there aren't very many songwriters active on the forum (original songs with lyrics, not instrumentals, not covers).

Unfortunately, I don't have the resources or time to take voice lessons. My natural singing voice is not so good. I have been asked not to sing by more than one person. So far that hasn't happened with piano. Though sometimes people are checking their phones, yawning, or worse when I play.

Once in a while I can hold the audience with my original music. That can be a magic time and makes it all worth while. I heartily encourage everyone to go out there and perform. It is a chance at magic. Yes, there is the chance of the train wreck, but over prepare and let the chips fall. If you get to glimpse the magic, you will want more. I believe music is meant to be shared. It is why humans like music, why it means something to us.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sand Tiger

Once in a while I can hold the audience with my original music. That can be a magic time and makes it all worth while.

I've experience that magic once. About 8 years ago I was living in an apartment and was preparing for my violin exam. My then neighbour was shy but loved classical music. I invited her over to play my exam pieces for her as practise. She cried during a lullaby piece by de Falla:

Last edited by Tubbie0075; 12/18/16 04:33 PM.

Be yourself

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Nice post Tubbie!

My piano journey took a new turn when I started my fortnightly lessons. Within no time I got a big study program which contained pieces I never dreamed of learning. So my "past, present and future" looks a bit like this:

PAST:
New pieces I learned were never finished and I put them away pretty quickly. I tried to learn "stretch" pieces as best that I could, but without proper teaching that never really worked for me. The pianoworld forums helped me pick new pieces for the themed recitals. And also long live the ABF quarterlies!

PRESENT:
I start fortnightly lessonsearlier this year (28th of June) and I got pretty tough material assigned.
Beethoven: Appassionata op57 sonata to perform in a student recital (started July)
Bach: WTC I c minor prelude and fuga (started August)
Moszkowski: g minor etude from op72 (started July)
Chopin: op10 no4 (started 4 weeks ago)
Christoph Willibald Gluck: melodie from Orfeo ed Euridice arranged for piano and cello.
Exercizes: The groundwork of the Leschetizky method, all kinds of various exercizes to do 10 minutes a day. These help me tremendously. Also a warm up routine which Lazar Berman used. My teacher had lessons with him and he taught her that routine.

FUTURE:
Do more Chopin etudes!
Would like to learn other sonata's. From the likes of Haydn, Mozart or more romantic composers like Schubert. Sonata's remain one of my favourite music forms.
I never played Liszt, so will be doing some of his stuff too.
Rachmaninof preludes ( at least one! )
Really work on my technique more.

Tubbie, since you also just started the op10 no4 etude, it would maybe be a good idea to share thoughts and progress on it?

Paul

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Chopinholic, you've got quite an accomplishment this year!

Originally Posted by chopinoholic

Tubbie, since you also just started the op10 no4 etude, it would maybe be a good idea to share thoughts and progress on it?

This piece, although one of my favourite etudes, is rather straight forward in terms of techniques and musicality. During last lesson, my teacher already said it was time to bring a new piece for next lesson. I'm thinking whether I should dare suggest Liszt's La Campanella?

For me, my improvement points for this etude has been to play it with more legato and make use of inward rotation especially for 4th and 5th fingers so that the fingers have a bit more vertical room to move. I'm not playing it anywhere near tempo yet (still learning the notes for the coda section) but when I do, I suppose my challenge will be minimising rotations until I only feel it but don't see it. The other challenge I expect is playing fast and soft. I don't know why but my fingers have the tendency to play loud when they speed up!

My more urgent challenge though is review my study materials, especially harmonisation before theory lesson tonight!

Be yourself

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Komplete Kontrol S88 MK1 Touchkeys
by Micahjd - 05/16/21 07:26 PM
Piano out of tune?
by TheodorN - 05/16/21 04:10 PM
iOS Pianos on iPad POLL
by RinTin - 05/16/21 01:50 PM
I can quit any time I want to ...
by Retsacnal - 05/16/21 01:42 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,967
Posts3,094,277
Members101,538
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission