2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
79 members (ambrozy, Bruce In Philly, c++, brdwyguy, AlphaBravoCharlie, 21 invisible), 1,430 guests, and 602 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2588547 11/19/16 02:44 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Hello,

Forgive me if this topic has already been discussed to death. But I would like to hear from both sides... do you like acoustic better than digital, or vice versa?

The Piano Store in my neighborhood is closing, and they've hired a slick independent salesman to move product. I was interested in an acoustic piano, but he set out to convince me that the Yamaha Clavinova is the way to go. I gave some a try, and I'm no acoustic expert. But in my heart, I still think an acoustic piano sounds so much better!!

What do you think? And thank you.

Beth
Rookie piano player

Last edited by hinderbinder; 11/19/16 02:46 PM.

"I like nonsense. Wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities." -- Dr. Seuss
P
P

I have both a digital and an acoustic. And I'm glad I do.

You are right that an acoustic sounds better when in tune, and it also provides for a broader spectrum of tones and textures. And it looks great. Some people buy pianos just for decoration...

For digitals, you never have to tune them, which is nice, and you can wear headphones in case someone is watching TV or sleeping. There are drawbacks in tone and texture, and, in many digital models, touch. (The action and keys play very differently than acoustics in most models.)

Oh, and you also get to experiment with the different sounds (strings, voice, marimba, etc.) that are included in a digital, which is fun. It is also nice to be able to hook up your piano to your computer for recording or notating music, which I do.

If you are a "rookie piano player" as your signature says, then a Clavinova might be a great first piano. More affordable than a good acoustic. No tuning. Very little maintenance. Also, and I do not mean this condescendingly, but you might not appreciate all of the additional benefits of an acoustic until you've grown a bit more as a pianist anyway. So start with a Clavinova at a great price, develop your skills, and get an acoustic when you achieved the next level of pianisticosity.

Last edited by Piano90X; 11/19/16 07:50 PM.
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
. . . But in my heart, I still think an acoustic piano sounds so much better!!

Many owners of digital pianos would agree with you.

And if acoustics were

. . . as inexpensive as digitals, and
. . . as portable, and
. . . as compact, and
. . . didn't need regular tuning and maintenance, and
. . . could be set up for "silent practice",

I'm sure many more of use would own acoustics.

There's a recent thread on the "Digital Pianos" forum, here, that gives sound samples of a bunch of digital pianos (some "real" DP's, others software simulations) playing the same Chopin Prelude. They're not bad at all. But they're not _quite_ "the same as an acoustic piano".

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
There are many advantages to a digital but if what you really in your heart wanted was an acoustic don't let a salesman convince you otherwise. He isn't concerned with how happy you'll be 6 months from now, he just needs to move the product. Listen to the little voice in the back of your head that tells you what you want, not what you "should" do.

I'll figure it out eventually.
Until then you may want to keep a safe distance.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
D
Have you ever had to drag/carry one of those uprights let alone a grand? Oh ya the digital has its uses lol.

I mean they're both nice. Acoustics are really great but just like digital the feel and the sound will very small to great depending on the piano. And with the acoustic you better love both cause that's what your buying. But once you get it, and you have movers set it, that's where that thing stays. Like forever, because its heavy as heck lol. So if your a renter, or maybe you move every so often that gets to be old very fast.

Now a digital again the keys will very greatly from brand to brand, action to action. But the nice thing is you can use other sounds with a sampler program. You run the piano into a laptop which in turn uses the sampled piano from the program and plays as you strike the keys. So you have a wide range of pretty good piano samples. (Also keep in mind digitals at least many ive seen can be tuned to change their sound. From the pitch of it the reverb, decay, res, lots of stuff. They could of had the settings poor. Some digital models really have some good samples and you can tune them even more like the mp series.)

Also it weighs less; like 1 man can pick this up and move it without much difficulty less. ( I personally like the stage piano's because they're alot more portable and its basically the same thing when compared to its console twin model.)

And MOST IMPORTANTLY.. silence. Yep you can live in an apartment with those paper thin walls and go wailing away on that sucker with pretty much no noise. (The keys do still make the thud sound like an acoustic)

Basically though it all comes down to feels good on your fingers and what sounds good to you.

Last edited by dewar; 11/24/16 04:21 AM.
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Digitals exist mainly as a convenience.

What do snowflakes and Chickerings have in common? There are no two exactly alike!
T
Online Content
T
Digital = affordable, quiet practice, flexibility, more amateur'ish
Analog = connection, the real thing, luxury, advanced / expert level
So it's a question of money IMHO

Last edited by TonyDIGITAL; 12/06/16 05:23 PM.

[Kawai VPC1 / ES100 - VSTs: VSL 280VC, Garritan CFX, Pianoteq 7 Standard & VI Labs Ravenscroft 275 - Ableton Live - Presonus iOne / iTwo - Sennheiser HD700/6xx - Presonus E5+T10, iloud micro monitors]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Why would you listen to a salesman?

J
J
Something to consider, if you are relatively new to the piano you might want to start a journey trying many different types, brands, and qualities of acoustics before you invest in one. How do you know what you like until you do? To me, its like marrying the first person you meet. I see buying a piano in the same light. If you live near a large metro area, go to all of the piano stores and try their pianos. Don't buy, just try. Play a Bosendorfer, Steinway, Bluthner, etc. if they are available. Find out what a $250,000 piano sounds and feels like. Compare that experience to pianos in the $40k range, the $20k range and so on. Try both uprights and grands. Try new and used. The only way to find out what you really like is to get some experience with as broad of a spectum as you can. Aside from Yamaha's AvantGrand series, most of the top of the line digitals are in the $5000-$6000 US range (Kawai CS11, Roland LX17, Casio GP500). Acoustics are considerable more! The advice I just gave is what I am currently doing. I'm just beginning classical piano lessons and will be buying one of the top digitals. I wont outgrow it and in the mean time I am trying out every grand I can before investing $20k-$40k in something I will be living with for years or decades to come.

Good luck with your journey and happy hunting!

John

The true artist is not proud: he unfortunately sees that art has no limits; he feels darkly how far he is from the goal, and though he may be admired by others, he is sad not to have reached that point to which his better genius only appears as a distant, guiding sun.

- Ludwig van Beethoven
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Piano90X

I have both a digital and an acoustic. And I'm glad I do.

+1. I have both, and I think every serious student should.

Get a slab type or stage piano digital, as they're easy to transport and store out of the way when you need the room. Worth it just for headphone practice, since you can do boring repetition without annoying anyone else, and at any hour. It also saves wear and tear on your good acoustic. Weighted keys and velocity sensitivity are musts. Oh, and also, don't bother with anything less than a full 88 keys.

Start by spending a four digit number (US$) on a good slab, then take your time finding an acoustic, which will be in the five digit range for something good.

Last edited by JohnSprung; 12/08/16 04:17 PM.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha 515-P... sounds bad or it's just me???
by Riccardo92 - 07/28/21 06:23 PM
Rachmaninoff anyone? I'm having so much fun!
by gooddog - 07/28/21 06:21 PM
Yamaha 515-P... sounds bad or it's just me???
by Riccardo92 - 07/28/21 06:10 PM
Plan Ahead! 2022 Themed Recitals
by Sam S - 07/28/21 04:37 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,265
Posts3,117,134
Members102,261
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission