2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
71 members (Beansparrow, ando, anotherscott, 1903wrightflyer, accordeur, barbaram, Abdol, Ampersand, 15 invisible), 569 guests, and 564 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
OP Offline
T
Shortly after returning to the piano after a 30-year break, I suffered an illness and am going to be permanently on medication which, as a side affect, makes my hands shake fairly severely at times. With this came the realisation that I am never going to be able to play the piano as well as I would like.

I would still like to get as good as is possible under the circumstances but have decided that really now it makes more sense to just try and play for my own enjoyment, rather than slogging it our with theory/scales and the like (though I will still do some for warm up).

My only real interest is classical music. I tried the Alfred's AIO course but found I didn't really enjoy the pieces as they generally weren't the kind of music that I was very motivated by.

Any advice on good self-study books/programs etc that will help me develop my ability as much as possible but that are more focused on playing classical music for pleasure rather than to pass exams etc?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
I don't work with any programs, as I work with a teacher - but there are some really nice early level books, by Agay, called the "Joy of " series.

There's Joy of Classics 1, 2 and three - their covers are blue, pink and yellow - I am not sure which is which, but I have the pink one. I haven't used it for a while, but I really loved it.

There are also the Music for Millions book, published by Hal Leonard, in particular volumes 17 and 27 Easy Classics to Modern and More Easy Classics to Modern.

There is a range of difficulty in the pieces found in both books. I was able to play some of the pieces early on in my piano journey, and after six years I still find wonderful challenges in them.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
cas, I'm flattered I made your signature

Originally Posted by ThaiBlue
Shortly after returning to the piano after a 30-year break, I suffered an illness and am going to be permanently on medication which, as a side affect, makes my hands shake fairly severely at times. With this came the realisation that I am never going to be able to play the piano as well as I would like.

While there's no such thing as a "free lunch", idiomatically speaking, where medicine is concerned, there are often several alternatives to any given medicine these days such that side effects experienced from one may be all but avoided with another if you'd like to consider consulting with your primary care physician about your hands.

I would still like to get as good as is possible under the circumstances but have decided that really now it makes more sense to just try and play for my own enjoyment, rather than slogging it our with theory/scales and the like (though I will still do some for warm up).

My only real interest is classical music. I tried the Alfred's AIO course but found I didn't really enjoy the pieces as they generally weren't the kind of music that I was very motivated by.

Regardless of the circumstances, you should always strive to play for your own enjoyment (who else's enjoyment would you be playing for grin) and seek out music to play that you like. I'd imagine that after a period of time doing this, you'd actually get better anyways than if you spent the time "slogging away" at something you didn't like with less focus and effort, accordingly.

Any advice on good self-study books/programs etc that will help me develop my ability as much as possible but that are more focused on playing classical music for pleasure rather than to pass exams etc?

I would simply suggest a pragmatic approach of getting some music you like that you believe - or someone who's familiar with your capabilities believes - you can tackle and, like with learning to do anything new, looking for solutions to problems as you come across them. If you're not familiar with very much music, then you could ask or around or investigate some of Cas's suggestions.

Best Regards

Last edited by Bobpickle; 10/27/16 12:59 AM.
T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Bobpickle

Regardless of the circumstances, you should always strive to play for your own enjoyment (who else's enjoyment would you be playing for grin) and seek out music to play that you like. I'd imagine that after a period of time doing this, you'd actually get better anyways than if you spent the time "slogging away" at something you didn't like with less focus and effort, accordingly.

Best Regards

Thank you for your reply.

I completely agree with you. I guess I have always been the type of person who wants to be perfect at everything I do and I sometimes put so much time into trying to be perfect that I lose sight of what it is that I really enjoyed about it in the first place.

I speak quite a number of languages and have spent hundreds of hours slogging away at the grammar of them, when the thing I enjoy most is just watching films in those languages or speaking them. Obviously one needs a certain amount of knowledge of grammar and vocabulary to be able to do those things but I tend to spend more time doing the things I don't like than I do on that which I enjoy.

I'm not going to completely abandon technique etc but just now want to focus more on the aspects of learning the piano which give me the most pleasure. In that way realising that I can never be as good as I would like to be has been a bit of a release and has now given me the freedom to gain more enjoyment from the piano. I haven't been able to play at all for nearly a year so I'm really looking forward to get back into it.

Thanks for the suggestions and comments and I will certainly look into those books.

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Twenty cents flat -- lower the pitch?
by edferris - 05/14/21 10:20 AM
Here's how piano music evolved over 200 years...
by FredVinerPiano - 05/14/21 09:49 AM
cheap sponge instead of felt?
by chopin_r_us - 05/14/21 05:17 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,925
Posts3,093,402
Members101,516
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission