2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
93 members (Andrew_G, AllThingsKeyboard, Augustina, astrotoy, Amadeus M., Andy R, APianistHasNoName, Abdol, Anglagard44, 22 invisible), 1,655 guests, and 429 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
I am considering purchasing a Seiler ED-186 and would really like to hear from other buyers who either purchased this model or considered it during their search for a piano. If you purchased one, what factors swayed your decision? If you did not purchase one, what did you purchase instead - and why? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I have played a few in the last few years. If you like the German Seiler sound (I find it rather distinct), a good ED 186 (a copy of the German SE186) looks and sounds an awful like it's more expensive sibling. The Piano Buyer brand profile talks about the distinctions in some details between models.

In my case, I wasn't shopping that market segment at that time, I was looking at more expensive models in roughly that size range.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
S
OP Offline
S
Hi, all. I wanted to post an update on my decision-making saga in the event that someone else is considering the Seiler ED 186. After much online research and test playing and dithering over spending more money than I had originally intended, I chose the Seiler ED 186. It was delivered yesterday and I'm in love. Everything about this piano is perfect for me - the tone, the touch - everything. I couldn't be happier.

I also want to thank all of those who have posted on this board with information, opinions, or advice. It gave me much to think about. And I want to specifically send many thanks to terminaldegree, whom I contacted through the messaging feature, for providing extensive expert guidance with incredible patience. This guidance was invaluable to me as I negotiated through the process of selection.

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Congratulations on your piano find! Thanks for letting us know.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
L
L
Congrats. I just got a Seiler ED126 and couldn't be happier. I really like the Seiler sound. Was not what I thought I wanted when I first started looking. Worked out great in the end.

Maria

Last edited by Lilrascal; 08/11/16 07:47 AM.
S
OP Offline
S
Congrats on your ED 126! I too love the Seiler sound. If I hadn't determined to "extend my budget," I would have bought a Seiler upright. Once that sound got in my head, it just seemed to haunt me until I made my final decision. A sure sign this was the piano for me, I guess. Nice to hear from a fellow Seiler owner!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Happy to help, and I'm delighted that you found the right piano for you!

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
N
N
Hi soundfiber
I'm in the market for a seiler ed, probably a 168 as my dealer has it in stock. I'd prefer the 186 but it's a bit out of my budget. Can I ask how much you paid for it?

Did you buy one you played in the store or did you have a new one shipped?
I find the upper middle register to be a little bright, especially the e5, but it might just be the strange acoustics in the piano shop.

Did you play the 168 by chance?

Thanks for any feedback--I'm very close to pulling the trigger and just can't find much information online.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by nillabean
I find the upper middle register to be a little bright, especially the e5, but it might just be the strange acoustics in the piano shop.
I would ask the dealer if he can adjust the tone in that register and on the particular note. I would ask him to first minimally voice a few notes and see how those sound(you don't want him to go too far in the other direction). You could even ask to be present while the tech adjusts the tone so you could give input about your preferences.

By doing the above before you buy, there is a greater guarantee you will fully like the tone after you purchase the piano.

N
N
I asked the dealer about that and he said it would risk it just needing to be voiced again, as it's in a huge, high ceiling concrete space, and will need different voicing once in our smallish low ceiling hardwood floor living room. Should I insist on this anyhow? They have a 168 in stock which should be good enough for my smaller room, but I am tempted to get the 186, which is not in stock. I had a bad experience with this when I bought a yus5 upright 4 years ago--the one I got was not the one I had played and I had to spend a lot of money on voicing and tuning to bring it up to my liking.
I should be able to negotiate better with the in-stock piano as well.

Originally Posted by nillabean
I asked the dealer about that and he said it would risk it just needing to be voiced again, as it's in a huge, high ceiling concrete space, and will need different voicing once in our smallish low ceiling hardwood floor living room. Should I insist on this anyhow?
While it's true that it could sound different in your home, I think it's best to try and getting it sounding as close to your preference before you buy it. This wouldn't guarantee it can be voiced exactly to your liking in your home, but I think it's better than not doing anything before you buy it. Or get the dealer to agree in writing that if you don't like the sound after voicing in your home, he will refund your payment.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
It is reasonable to expect the grand to benefit and perhaps need significant voicing in your space. When addressing one note or a couple of notes, its easiest if you can sit with the technician as they voice it down. Maybe you can arrange to come when the tech is available and sit with them. This is how it would be in your home, and it would go a long way to give you confidence in your purchase.

That said, if you like the ED168 and are considering the ED186, I think you'll be very happy with the larger size. It very consistently builds upon the strengths of the smaller ED168.

Given your past experience with the YUS5, while no one likes to go to extra expense, you could handle this next purchase either way...either make a good faith purchase to include prep and in-home voicing OR set whatever terms are necessary for the dealer to bring in, let you evaluate and voice to your preference in the store before delivery. I suggest discussing the in-home voicing process with your dealer and have a clear understanding of what is expected as this is how most orders are placed for pianos not kept in stock.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Garritan with Sibelius "sound set" ?
by RinTin - 09/28/21 03:13 PM
help teaching an autistic child
by sheilaju - 09/28/21 02:33 PM
Old Kawai MP6
by johan d - 09/28/21 02:04 PM
Half Pedaling reality check
by Dore - 09/28/21 12:47 PM
Confused.
by Cutec - 09/28/21 10:43 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Our Free Newsletter for Piano Lovers!
The summer edition of our free newsletter
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,335
Posts3,135,861
Members102,845
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission