2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
55 members (bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 7 invisible), 1,364 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 37 of 101 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 100 101
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by BrianDX
keeping hands together during "ragged time"

BrianDX, what do you mean by "ragged time"?

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PianoStudent88
keeping hands together during "ragged time"

BrianDX, what do you mean by "ragged time"?

If you take a look in your Lesson book at a piece called "The Snowflake Rag" you will see early in the piece that the left hand is playing a simple broken chord pattern as quarter notes in 4/4 time, however right hand has tied eighth notes (syncopation) which cross the quarter note boundary. This is referred as "ragged time" and is tricky to get used to, but once you do these types of pieces are a lot of fun to play.

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

I just started level 2A today. I played the review piece through gritted teeth as I dislike Oh When the Saints. I guess this influenced the tempo I played at, maybe in a rush to get it over and done with . When I downloaded the midi files for this level I discovered that compared to their tempo I had been playing at breakneck speed. LOL

I kept previous level repertoire books as sightreading material for at the end of the next level , so was using the Pretime books today. Some of the pieces are using concepts only taught in the later half of level 1 , so am glad I did this and will continue to do so, leaving level one supplementary rep books till end of 2A.

Sorry if this has been answered already, but how do you work through the different books, do you complete a unit in lesson book , then do same unit in T&A etc., or do you work all the books simultaneously, using the page numbers indicated at the bottom of the page ?

♥♪ ♥ ♫ I really shouldn't borrow tomorrow's troubles, but I like to plan ahead. ♥♪ ♥ ♫

[Linked Image]XL

Kawai CA 97
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Hi Smurfette;

Our teacher usually assigns pieces/exercises in multiple books at a time, using the general Faber guidelines at the bottom of the pages.

I prefer to do the lesson and technique/artistry pieces first, and then focus on the corresponding performance pieces separately.

Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Arghhh #2574947 09/29/16 08:09 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by Arghhh
This thread is so long, so it's quite possible what I'm looking for is already written above. So sorry!

For those of you who moved from PA Accelerated into PA 3A, how did you find the transition? Was there much overlap of concepts, or was it good reinforcement?

In 3A, what were some of the more challenging spots?

I also moved from PA accelerated to PA 3A.

The transition was quite smooth. 3A just expands on what you learnt earlier. 3B then tries to build up your speed and so this can be quite challenging; I spent only 4 or 5 months on 3A, but 3B is probably going to take me a year. Then in Level 4 you learn to shape the music so I guess a lot of emphasis on technique and listening to and appreciating what you play (playing with your soul).

See the link below for a description of the different levels and what their uses are.
https://pianoadventures.com/blog/piano-pedagogy/

Last edited by Mario2015; 09/29/16 08:09 PM.
Hi Smurfette;

Our teacher usually assigns pieces/exercises in multiple books at a time, using the general Faber guidelines at the bottom of the pages.

I prefer to do the lesson and technique/artistry pieces first, and then focus on the corresponding performance pieces separately.

Thanks Brian, that makes sense. I found the performance pieces took several days to play correctly on first sitting, whereas I was ready to move on with the other books. So I think I will do the corresponding pages in the lesson, theory, and t&a books until a unit is completed and then do the performance, sightreading, and previous level's gold star books.

I have 8 keys completed in scale learning; major, harmonic minor, similar and contrary motion, and thirds and sixths apart. So 4 I am hoping to learn by xmas. Once they are all learned I can practice them in rotation and start chromatics.

♥♪ ♥ ♫ I really shouldn't borrow tomorrow's troubles, but I like to plan ahead. ♥♪ ♥ ♫

[Linked Image]XL

Kawai CA 97
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Well here's my update:

I'm currently working on the last three pieces in the Lesson Book for Level 4. Due to a series of "other-than-piano" issues, plus preparation for our Teacher's fall musicale in early November, I feel my forward progress has basically stopped, which has never happened to me before in over 3 years of lessons.

Sure the final piece is Prelude in C which is a sight-reading nightmare, and the other two pieces are in A Major and E Major and I'm still trying to deal with the additional sharps in these two key signatures.

Still I'm not complaining, I feel very lucky to be where I am.

Hopefully a more positive update soon.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
BrianDX-

I don't know if this will make you feel better...but I hope it does.

My son at 6/almost 7 years of age began playing piano at the same time as you did (He started late August 2013). Do you know what piece he's learning this week? Carnival of Venice from Faber 3A. I looked at YouTube to hear what it should really sound like and do you know whose rendition I came across? Yep- yours which you recorded over 1 year ago. My son practices a minimum of an 1 hour every day and he's done that for years.

My son took a one year break from the Faber series between 2B and 3A and used another level 3 book last year. I was more than a little disappointed when my son's teacher brought Faber 3A out as his new books for the 2016-2017 year- particularly because he did so very well at Guild in the Spring. I'll tell you this much though- practice is going much better at least in terms of focus/cooperation now- and he seems happier now. I also thought after completing one level 3 book set last year that the Faber 3A pieces would be a breeze- but they aren't so his teacher obviously made the right decision.

Don't be hard on yourself. You are doing great!

Last edited by pianoMom2006; 10/07/16 09:54 AM.

Yamaha G2
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks pianoMom2006 smile

I guess sometimes a dose of perspective is needed. I forgot that I had recorded that piece last September. It wasn't half bad smirk

I can only comment on the Faber series; I know there are many others out there, but so far they have certainly worked for me and my wife. Add in a great teacher and a great instrument and there you go.

I certainly hope your son continues on his forward path. There are great things coming up in the Faber series, and hopefully in the future as an adult he will have a music skill for life.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Thanks pianoMom2006 smile

I certainly hope your son continues on his forward path.

Yes of course. I think that everyone has setbacks in piano and it's okay. Fortunately, he's not likely to get a job as a pianist so he can take his time to explore.

Last edited by pianoMom2006; 10/07/16 04:11 PM.

Yamaha G2
There will always be plateaux in our learning, but yes the overall picture seems to be one of really good progress for you Brian. Aren't the last pages of each level more challenging/ take longer than the other pages usually, even without you having other things to do at the same time ?

I practised Prelude in C by playing it as blocked chords first , then broken chords as written. Unfortunately I memorized it naturally by the fourth day , but I still followed the music, by focusing on two notes in each chord at first, until it became easier to follow all the notes at tempo.

I was somewhat amazed at still being able to play it from memory after all those long months of being bedridden. It is incredible what the human brain can do. I very quickly revised my scales and sightread through the primer and most of level one too, upon returning to the piano, even remembering bass clef notation, lol
My point being all that work you have done is a lifetime investment that won't leave you. You are an inspiration Brian.

Will you be moving over to repertoire learning only once you complete level 4 ?

[Linked Image]XL

Kawai CA 97
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Mario,

Thanks for your answer and the link you provided explaining the pedagogy of the Piano Adventures series. I didn't know it exists and really helps to read how the books are intended to build on each other.

It sounds like Level 3A will be a good level then for my student whom I wanted to get more fluency/ease in her playing.

Professional pianist and piano teacher.
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Smurfette
There will always be plateaux in our learning, but yes the overall picture seems to be one of really good progress for you Brian. Aren't the last pages of each level more challenging/ take longer than the other pages usually, even without you having other things to do at the same time ?

I practised Prelude in C by playing it as blocked chords first , then broken chords as written. Unfortunately I memorized it naturally by the fourth day , but I still followed the music, by focusing on two notes in each chord at first, until it became easier to follow all the notes at tempo.

I was somewhat amazed at still being able to play it from memory after all those long months of being bedridden. It is incredible what the human brain can do. I very quickly revised my scales and sightread through the primer and most of level one too, upon returning to the piano, even remembering bass clef notation, lol
My point being all that work you have done is a lifetime investment that won't leave you. You are an inspiration Brian.

Will you be moving over to repertoire learning only once you complete level 4 ?

Thanks again Smurfette!

I will be moving on to Faber Piano Adventures Level 5 next month I hope. I have also started Faber Developing Artist 3, so I think my 2017 has been pretty much decided I think. There are a few repertoire pieces I'm looking at as well, one being an "easy" Chopin piece.

In some ways Level 4 has been easier than Level 3B, which I found EXTREMELY challenging.

Finally, Prelude in C is finally coming around. I like your idea on focusing on the first note of each new chord pattern. Hope to nail this at Monday's lesson.

BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Well that didn't take long; Basically passed the last three pieces in the Lesson Book tonight. One more new piece in the Technique book, and all that will be left will be the 1928 Blues Suite in the Performance Book to round things off. It's amazing what 3 hours of practice on Saturday and Sunday will do to help polish off things smile

🎈🥂🎁🍦🥂🎂🥂🎈 Happy Birthday Brian !!

Well done on this week's progress . It is great that your teacher has worked with you and your goals of completing the levels of PA.

I have E, Bb, Ab and Db major and harmonic minor scales to learn by the end of this year, and then I will start working them all in rotation over next year, probably do one key a day , and hopefully add melodic minors and/or chromatics to my practice too. I plan to spend one 20 minute session a day on this.

I have added little cards , with a scale on each, to a small box and can then pick one at random , so can practice exam style everyday too. This will take another 20 minute session up.

I intend expanding my theory knowledge this year and can at least continue to do this if I get stuck upstairs in bed again. Grade 3 level would be great .

PA wise, I will work through level 2, but will be without a teacher until I know my health is stable enough for regular lessons. This would take me to Grade 1 level and I would really be nervous about going any further self taught. Can only take it a day at time though, but it feels good writing down my goals for next year, will likely email myself this post.

[Linked Image]XL

Kawai CA 97
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks!

Your current pursuits in lieu of past health health problems seems pretty solid to me. Should give you a very solid foundation to progress onward when to are able to re-engage with a teacher.

BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Just checking in with us Faber folks smile

Finished the last piece in my Technique book on Monday, and that's it for good (there's no Technique book in Level 5).

Working on the last two pieces in the Performance book and then that's all for Level 4.

I had a chance to recently talk to a couple of our teacher's students who are also in PA. Between my wife, myself, and the other students we have 6 folks either in Levels 3A, 3B, or 4. It seems that my observations about 3B "seeming" to be the hardest is correct. However, everyone is moving along at their own pace, and it is very nice indeed to have company at roughly the same skill level.

Next Sunday is our teacher's Fall Adult Musicale, where all us get together for the afternoon. Some of us play, some do not. I'm going to check up where every Faber student is and what their observations and experiences have been in the last 6 months. It's a shame I don't get to speak to these folks more often, but that's the way it is.

Thanks goodness we get to go before the advanced students (there are 6 of them and they are VERY good).

J
J
Congrats Brian!

I just started started 3A a few weeks ago. Book 1 and Book 2 each took almost exactly 6 months to finish. So probably a good 2 more years for me to get through all 5. A great sense of accomplishment for each one I have finished so far.
A great teacher is the number one requisite.

Well done!

regards

John

M
M
Just checking in with us Faber folks smile

Finished the last piece in my Technique book on Monday, and that's it for good (there's no Technique book in Level 5).

Working on the last two pieces in the Performance book and then that's all for Level 4.

I had a chance to recently talk to a couple of our teacher's students who are also in PA. Between my wife, myself, and the other students we have 6 folks either in Levels 3A, 3B, or 4. It seems that my observations about 3B "seeming" to be the hardest is correct. However, everyone is moving along at their own pace, and it is very nice indeed to have company at roughly the same skill level.

Next Sunday is our teacher's Fall Adult Musicale, where all us get together for the afternoon. Some of us play, some do not. I'm going to check up where every Faber student is and what their observations and experiences have been in the last 6 months. It's a shame I don't get to speak to these folks more often, but that's the way it is.

Thanks goodness we get to go before the advanced students (there are 6 of them and they are VERY good).

Hi Brian,

It has been a slow but fruitful and exciting progress with me with 3B. I am going to start unit 5 and the way things are going I am hoping to start Book 4 in February of next year. I am not getting more than an hour practice on average everyday because of family obligations, work, dog, running, meditation, etc.

I guess the important thing for me right now is that I am enjoying every moment of the journey; I like nearly all the pieces and find them challenging but interesting.

BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by John BC
Congrats Brian!

I just started started 3A a few weeks ago. Book 1 and Book 2 each took almost exactly 6 months to finish. So probably a good 2 more years for me to get through all 5. A great sense of accomplishment for each one I have finished so far.
A great teacher is the number one requisite.

Well done!

regards

John

Thanks John. I slowed down a bit when I reached 3A, and really slowed down at 3B. Of course, your mileage may vary smile

Page 37 of 101 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 100 101

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission