2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
57 members (David B, anotherscott, CaseyVancouver, cmb13, ambrozy, Bchig, 36251, 9 invisible), 505 guests, and 579 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Celdor Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks for the very helpful answers here smile

I'd like to note that my plan is to use Hanon and perhaps other exercises to improve techniques. I am not sure if a warming up means the same. Reading your comments gave me a very good idea how to approach Hanon, among the answers I realised that I should:

1. be creative
2. use variations
3. isolate the problems; not necessarily use all exercises but those which are important for current demands
4. not to over practice and do listen to my body smile
5. not necessarily "lift the fingers high" smile

Just a few more questions.

When I practise Hanon in different key than C Major, shall I use the same fingering? I am asking about because while playing scales such as C Major and Bflat Major, for instance, fingering is very different.

Should I use Hanon "linearly" starting from the exercise no. 1? I downloaded it from IMSLP and I can see there are three parts. I noticed third part particularly is about thirds, sixths and octaves. This would actually help me now as I have a pieces which require playing thirds quickly.

Thanks

Zbigniew

[Linked Image]
F
F
Originally Posted by Jeff Clef
I agree that Hanon has value as a warm-up, which not only does not injure the hands but protects them from injury, as long as the silly instruction about "lifting the fingers high" is disregarded.

But surely this is the problem with Hanon. There is NO instruction to ignore the 'lift fingers high' direction and some people will follow that, believing it to be true, putting extra strain on their tendons and ligaments which leads to injury. It may also encourage an incorrect mindset to the player that they are there for a workout in the same way that one may go to the gym.

That in itself means that Hanon should be avoided UNTIL it's instruction and ethos are revised.

I agree that the exercises in itself aren't necessarily harmful but, as with anything, the WAY they are played is the most important factor.

I speak from personal experience on this one.

One thing I'd like to ask (and sorry if this is a slightly different Hanon question) but it always made me wonder how one could play all those exercises in just an hour as the way the book is written seems to suggest that each exercise is repeated 4 times (I'd need to dig my copy out to check that actual wording) It often took me 10-15 mins to get through just the first two exercises, due to all the repeats!

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Hanon provides certain musical building blocks, but it is one of many sets of exercises all setting out to achieve the same thing.

The idea of finger independence is the problem here, and the way in which Hanon understood it is also a problem. So, while the actual notes of the exercises themselves are fine, his idea of repeating things over and over (echoed by Czerny), and of over-lifting the fingers is dangerous.

Yes, you can injure yourself playing the piano, and you can find that you're as likely to injure yourself playing arpeggios, or a Mozart sonata, or a Bach invention, as you are a Hanon study. Injury is caused by incorrect use of the hands and not by the actual notes you are playing, although over use (which Hanon can cause if you do ALL the repetitions every day from the outset), can hurt you quite badly.

It's important to take things slowly, don't practise for too long, and enjoy yourself. Good luck.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Celdor

When I practise Hanon in different key than C Major, shall I use the same fingering? I am asking about because while playing scales such as C Major and Bflat Major, for instance, fingering is very different.

Use the same fingering for all the keys.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
When I started relearning piano I found Hanon useful because it was familiar, and gave me an easy metric to measure. And it's kind of fun. But I have to admit a couple years in I don't look at Hanon too often these days. I kind of used it as sand under wheels to get moving again.

A
A
Frankly, the main question I ask is what is particularly special about it?

Unless I'm missing something, there isn't anything particularly noteworthy about the design of any of the exercises that makes it worth doing over other things that take up our time.

C
Celdor Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by anamnesis
Unless I'm missing something, there isn't anything particularly noteworthy about the design of any of the exercises that makes it worth doing over other things that take up our time.

Perhaps the question should be what your expectations are, what do you want to achieve in long distance. People have different goals and exercises suit only those who want to achieve something such exercises are designed for.

I know what I want. My main question rather is if Hanon's book is particularly worthy its time.

Zbigniew

[Linked Image]
M
M
I suggest you concentrate not only to the mechanical aspect of piano playing, but also to the spiritual (or musical).

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
In the current issue of Keyboard magazine there's a column by Jeffrey Biegel with some exercises that I found surprisingly helpful.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by coaster
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King

Hanon isn't boring, boring pianists are boring.

My mother always said something similar. "Only boring people get bored"... but I dunno... doing the same thing - Hanon, nonetheless - every day for over 75 years might get a little boring.

Well, everyday for 75 years, I can agree. And I'd recommend over time switching to other exercises to keep things fresh and different. I guess I should have said "technical exercises aren't boring, boring pianists are boring." But I think there is great value to Hanon, including practicing it in other keys, and making sure to not lift the fingers high and deliberately

B
B

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Brian Jenkins

Have you ever had a student get really good at playing octaves by not practicing octave exercises?

Poetry is rhythm
Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Brian Jenkins

This falls in line about how I feel about such things. I'm not against technical exercises per se and there can be some good on targeted practice with specific goals - e.g. evenness, different articulations, transposition. I also feel any student spending an hour a day on Hanon is wasting their time. It could be better spent working on real music.

I suppose if a student's goal is to "get really good at playing octaves" then some technical exercises and drills are in order. On the other hand isn't it good enough that they become proficient in executing octaves in passages only where its required in the music? Maybe that's not possible. I don't know.

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Vid
I suppose if a student's goal is to "get really good at playing octaves" then some technical exercises and drills are in order. On the other hand isn't it good enough that they become proficient in executing octaves in passages only where its required in the music? Maybe that's not possible. I don't know.
Actually, it is quite possible. smile

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
C
Celdor Offline OP
OP Offline
C
OK. You have got me thinking now. Last posts by Brian Jenkins (I also read the article), Carey, and Vid, incline that technical exercises are redundant and not worth spending time on. This is somehow contradiction to what I have been advised to do: to take exercises everyday and do hard work. Later, when approaching more complex pieces, one would only need to spend little time on technical part of a piece and focus on interpretation and expression because technical part would already be done. It doesn't mean one would not have to learn pieces at all, there are always parts that have to be learned. I understand exercises can't cover everything but the more one does, the better one would be prepared. I think that's what student in colleges or conservatories do, don't they? This is what pro pianists do everyday. I am not experienced enough so this is more like a question, rather than a statement. And common sense tells me that e.g. Yuja Wang, not only but one having the fastest hands and fingers, would not achieve what she has without exercises. What do you think?

Zbigniew

[Linked Image]
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Celdor, I too struggle with the same issue. When I have practiced on hanon, my playing on new pieces improved. However, as an adult student with full time job, unless I win the lottery big time, time I have tends to be used for practicing pieces of music, little time for hanon. However, my teacher will point to certain lessons like thumb under 3Rd finger to work on...more focused. My aim is to do the scales and apeggios at 100..hmm, my 2017 resolution 😨

Dream came true : playing the piano
Kawai CS11/Yamaha Arius 161
lessons: 150 hours + counting
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
It doesn't mean one would not have to learn pieces at all, there are always parts that have to be learned. I understand exercises can't cover everything but the more one does, the better one would be prepared. I think that's what student in colleges or conservatories do, don't they? This is what pro pianists do everyday. I am not experienced enough so this is more like a question, rather than a statement. And common sense tells me that e.g. Yuja Wang, not only but one having the fastest hands and fingers, would not achieve what she has without exercises. What do you think?

I tried to learn good technique without using exercises. I was really down on Hanon. And I was learning, I had a method. Then one month, as I was slowly getting through a fast, complex piece, each measure with its own complex pattern, I said to myself, "I am learning this, but it is going so slow. If only there were a place where I could practice many different key patterns so my hands could learn to play all of them." I had so vociferously blocked Hanon from my mind, that I didn't realize at first that it matched the description of what I was asking for. But eventually I realized, and apologized for my earlier vociferousness.

Again though, I can't imagine anyone getting good octaves without focused octave practice. Maybe they can.

Poetry is rhythm
OK. You have got me thinking now. Last posts by Brian Jenkins (I also read the article), Carey, and Vid, incline that technical exercises are redundant and not worth spending time on. This is somehow contradiction to what I have been advised to do: to take exercises everyday and do hard work. Later, when approaching more complex pieces, one would only need to spend little time on technical part of a piece and focus on interpretation and expression because technical part would already be done. It doesn't mean one would not have to learn pieces at all, there are always parts that have to be learned. I understand exercises can't cover everything but the more one does, the better one would be prepared. I think that's what student in colleges or conservatories do, don't they? This is what pro pianists do everyday. I am not experienced enough so this is more like a question, rather than a statement. And common sense tells me that e.g. Yuja Wang, not only but one having the fastest hands and fingers, would not achieve what she has without exercises. What do you think?
We're all different. Do what works for you. I personally have no experience with Hanon - but I didn't mean to imply that technical exercises of any kind are redundant and not worth spending time on. I personally enjoyed Czerny. I also learned to make up my own "exercises" using challenging passages in the repertoire I was studying. Other folks here - who I respect - apparently have had good experiences with Hanon. Go ahead and start out with a few Hanon exercises and see how things go. As long as you are careful not to strain yourself, you have nothing to lose. smile

Last edited by Carey; 09/13/16 12:02 PM.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"...Frankly, the main question I ask is what is particularly special about it? Unless I'm missing something, there isn't anything particularly noteworthy about the design of any of the exercises that makes it worth doing over other things that take up our time..."

It has done a good work for me; that is its special appeal in my case. I would not claim that it is right for everyone, and particularly not if it is being force-fed. I have found it scales well to various levels of proficiency. Though it is not a piano method book, it fleshes out material which has been introduced through lessons or study as piano technic. Very often, what you know after studying a book or hearing it from a teacher is one story--- and well and good, as far as it goes. But it never comes to life until you practice it on the keyboard, and enough that it becomes part of your innate and almost reflexive response.

It has a lot in common with learning to drive a car.

One special thing about it is, that having been published in 1900, it has been in print for 116 years. Though it is a product of its times, it has not become fossilized, so far. When there was no TV, no recorded music, and radio just barely existed, people had a lot more time to work on their piano technique. Being able to play the piano made one's stock rise in the marriage market, if you want an excellent motivation. Then again, some skills which are illustrated in Hanon are not really suited to how people play today.

So what. Use them, don't use them, move on to something else if you become bored [not a bad idea, actually]. Variety is the spice. Return to them when you return to the piano, after time away. Hanon is not a bad place to start, or to start over.

Clef

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I never did Hanon, but it seems that the end goal of the Hanon exercises is to get students to be able to play Scales & Arpeggios. Would you say that's true?

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Komplete Kontrol S88 MK1 Touchkeys
by Micahjd - 05/16/21 07:26 PM
Piano out of tune?
by TheodorN - 05/16/21 04:10 PM
iOS Pianos on iPad POLL
by RinTin - 05/16/21 01:50 PM
I can quit any time I want to ...
by Retsacnal - 05/16/21 01:42 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,967
Posts3,094,277
Members101,538
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission