2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
42 members (ChrisGoesPiano, AmyBNE, Calavera, cygnusdei, CraiginNZ, apianostudent, danno858, beginer, 11 invisible), 504 guests, and 423 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
OP Offline
P
Hello,
New here, hoping to get some advice: I have researched upright pianos (for my daughter) and had decided on a Kawai K300 until I spoke with another conservatory parent who told me that they bought a Kawai a little less than a year ago and have had nothing but problems with it. They called Kawai and Kawai admitted that there was "bad glue" used in their production. They offered to replace the piano but it took over 5 months for them to finally get a new piano. Needless to say, they are skeptical and now so am I.
I went to my nearest dealer- same place they bought theirs, and the salesperson told me that they are no longer a Kawai dealer due to quality control issues. They seemed well aware of this glue problem but were being very tight lipped.
I now have to drive to New Hampshire if I want to buy one but I'm not so sure that I do! Has anyone else here had similar horror stories?

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Pianodad11,
How did the glue issues become an issue? By this I mean what problem,(s) did the piano have?

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
S
S
We bought Kawai RX-3 three years ago and had no problems with it. I hope that helps.

P
OP Offline
P
they said the dealer sent technicians out several times to re-glue different parts inside the piano but more of them just continued to loosen up.

L
L
I've not read about a recall issue or anything similar related to Kawai recently. Although it seemed to take a few months, I'm impressed they completely replaced the piano with a new one. That seems extremely fair (though I know the wait was difficult.)

1986 Kawai GE-2 (5'7")
Casio PX-100 DP
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"...Has anyone else here had similar horror stories?"

Horror stories about Kawai pianos and customer service are pretty hard to come by, pianodad11 with 2 posts.

Their reputation, instead, is one suiting a manufacturer which is conscientious about the design- and build-quality of its products. If 100% perfection is not possible for anything made by imperfect humans, they do have the reputation of taking care of their buyers, authorized dealers, and the piano techs in the field.

It is very uncommon to find anyone who says differently. There are sometimes frustrations arising from the fact that customers' troubles have to be investigated, which takes longer than some people would prefer. That is a legitimate complaint, and understandable, but the maker has to figure out what is going on with the instrument, and to determine if it is, or is not fixable in the field.

There are some other classes of complaint. Some buyers find out that they are not happy with the piano they bought. I would say that the parents of a conservatory student, who buy a piano that their child is going to do its best to pound to death, might do better to move up the piano food chain a little higher than the maker's bottom-of-the-line upright. These are made for ordinary use in the home, and are not a bad entry-level piano. But a conservatory student may be happier, anyway, with a grand--- as a minimum standard.

There is another class of complaint, the one containing users who cannot be made happy, no matter what is done for them. One would hope that these cases might be accommodated by the dealer. If they buy from a shop which is not an authorized Kawai dealer, it may be a bit harder to get there. If you are shopping for a piano, and have not yet bought one, it is possible to steer yourself away from this problem. It may well be that you would be happier with another maker.

Good luck to you. Let us know how you end up.

Clef

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jeff Clef
Horror stories about Kawai pianos and customer service are pretty hard to come by

I agree. Kawai is top notch in my book.

If there is/was a real, company issued, recall on Kawai due to bad glue, it would be all over this forum and then some.

I think this is likely an isolated issue.

I'll bet Kawai Don could fill us in and set the record straight.

Just my .02.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It's kind of interesting to spot threads like this, as I work for the company and have no idea where this story came from. Of course, since I work for Kawai anything I say tends to be considered tainted. And that is one reason I do not respond to some of the more wild threads that pop up like this.

Every piano maker occasionally has pianos go out into the world with issues. Every piano maker. If there were some kind of widespread problem from Kawai you wouldn't hear about it from one piano owner and one former Kawai dealer. You would hear about it all over the place.

So, no, I know of no glue problem in Kawai pianos. Find out who the current local Kawai dealer is, and see if you can't find out the other side of this story. For example, was the old Kawai dealer in the process of being cancelled by Kawai, so that this customer's piano couldn't be replaced in a timely fashion?

You can rest assured that Kawai pianos are among the most reliable, solidly built pianos available. You can also trust that the company, which has been around since 1927, will back the piano at least as well as any piano company.

Don Mannino, MPA
Kawai America
Kawai is one of those piano brands I would have zero qualms in purchasing. Can't say that about everyone.

Life is too short to be playing bad music.

Practice: Bosie 200, Yam N3
Live: Nord Piano 4, Stage 3 Compact
Amps: QSC K.2s, RCF TT08-s, FA 12-ac, CPS SSv3
Support: STAY stands, X-Air mixers, Vent II, etc
P
P

pianodad11 with 2 posts.

Why did you point out how few posts he has?

(Long-time lurker, rookie poster, here.)

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I have never heard this. I am pretty tuned in to the tech side of things and something like this would be reported as Don said by many technicians.

Sally Phillips
Owner/ Technician
Piano Perfect, LLC
Columbus, GA

www.steinwaypiano.com
Acoustic Piano Technical Consultant - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
http://www.pianobuyer.com/current-issue/07a-should-i-have-my-piano-rebuilt.html

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
7000 Post Club Member
Online Content

7000 Post Club Member
The premise of this thread is way out of sync with Kawai's reputation for solid customer support and quality products (IMO). The notion that a dealer has given up the Kawai line because of quality control issues seems like a real stretch. Being "tight lipped" about something isn't confirmation (silence is not agreement). Given some dealers' penchant for spreading FUD, when a prospect turns up already believing some misinformation about their former line, why would they disabuse them (when they want to sell their current line)? As Rickster pointed out, if there were a recall, or Kawai was shipping product with "bad glue," then it would likely be well-known here.

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Piano90X

Not saying this is the case currently, but sometimes unscrupulous industry folks set up fictitious logins to make up defamatory stuff about their competitors. It's happened here before, and the SEO of the site is such that anything posted here posts prominently on the popular search engines for many years... The forum is occasionally used in extremely insidious ways.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer

7000 Post Club Member
Online Content

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by terminaldegree

Not saying this is the case currently, but sometimes unscrupulous industry folks set up fictitious logins to make up defamatory stuff about their competitors. It's happened here before, and the SEO of the site is such that anything posted here posts prominently on the popular search engines for many years... The forum is occasionally used in extremely insidious ways.

Good point! This thread is already the top search result on Google for "Kawai recall" and top of page two for "piano recall," even though there is apparently no such recall. Perhaps a moderator should simply delete the page (assuming it's all untrue).

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

B
B
Other people have already addressed the glue issue, and assuming you're posting in god faith, what exactly led you to the K300 in particular? It is a fine piano, but without being able to test one out, I wouldn't get too attached, and driving to another city just to try it should probably come after seeing what's available locally.

I would recommend you research your area to determine what types of pianos are available before settling on a certain model, then audition the pianos in your price range. Don't listen to dealers bad-mouthing other brands. Listen to their points about their own pianos, but in the end, trust what you hear from the piano, not the dealer.

P
P
Originally Posted by terminaldegree

That seems like a really lame and effective marketing strategy.

Let's say he succeeds at discrediting Kawai.

Unless a potential buyer just happens to buy the unknown brand that he is pushing, he has reduced the potential buyers pool of 100 brands to just 99 brands. It might even be more diluted than that considering the saturation of the "middle market" that Kawai seems to target. He hasn't really even increased the chances of a buyer buying his own brand.

Last edited by Piano90X; 08/29/16 11:54 PM.
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
There have been posts before attacking Kawai on Piano World and there are usually in the opening post, clear signs of dubious credibility on the part of the writer.

The statements are very non specific and there is a lack of detail in the allegations. Emotive language as in "horror stories" also suggests the writer is determined to disparage the Kawai brand in the darkest way.

For someone to write an incendiary post about a particular piano brand as a debut poster also questions the motives behind the attack and its authenticity.

When expert piano technicians of the integrity and experience of KawaiDon and Sally Phillips say they have not heard of anything about the "glue failure" of Kawai pianos, I am inclined to say that these allegations are untrue.

Regards,
Robert.

Last edited by Robert 45; 08/30/16 01:13 AM.
That seems like a really lame and effective marketing strategy.

You mean lame and ineffective?

....he has reduced the potential buyer's pool of 100 brands to just 99 brands.

What part of the world do you live in where you have the choice of 100 different brands of upright piano? I could pick from less than 20 brands, but I presume a good number of buyers may voluntarily limit themselves to just Yamaha and Kawai. Discrediting Kawai in that context would have an impact, because the buyers would give themselves no choice but to go to Yamaha.

Nothing has come unglued in my K500, for the record. I've had it nearly two years now. =)

2014 Kawai K-500
1920s Sir Herbert Marshall Sons & Rose upright
Kurzweil PC3LE8 stage piano with Pianoteq 7
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber

pianodad11 with 2 posts.

Because it is more likely that this poster is a "troll" if they begin their membership with a wild claim like this one. I am not saying that the op IS a troll. There could be misunderstandings, an isolated issue, etc.

Clearly, there is no widespread glue issue with Kawai pianos.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
P
P
Do you mean this case?
The white key top is peels off
In this case the cause is bad glue.
But YAMAHA is also same.
But these are not Recall.Special ï½—arranty repair.

http://protac.webspace.ne.jp/diary/protac.2016.03.27.1.html
http://protac.webspace.ne.jp/diary/protac.2014.03.09.1.html

--------------------------------------
Pro-TAC tuning and repair service.
pro-tac.jpn.org/
--------------------------------------

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Es920 production stopped??
by playplayplay - 12/07/21 12:07 AM
Mehlin & Sons Piano Identification
by LeviWhitted - 12/06/21 08:37 PM
jack position button not present in old grand
by f4tune81 - 12/06/21 08:11 PM
Thinking about recital #65
by stevedoz - 12/06/21 04:28 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,420
Posts3,151,114
Members103,539
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission