2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
41 members (Jean Claude, eddiepiano, apianostudent, danno858, beginer, deadlymajesty, David B, astrotoy, Jo Martins, 7 invisible), 489 guests, and 438 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ZMaestro

Or you can sell the digital and add MIDI to your acoustic. Then you don't have 2 pianos taking up space. Plus you can record with the instrument that has the superior action. This is the best of both worlds.

Well *there's* an interesting suggestion; the superior action would be a real plus. Off to launch myself into yet another research project!

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]XXXVIII-LXIV

My C3 - solace. And joy.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Well, being the odd-ball around here, I have 4 acoustic pianos and a digital! smile

The advantage of a digital stage piano is that you can transport it very easily for outside performances or inside performances very easily. The digital is certainly not an acoustic, but a close second. The portability and versatility in itself if worth having one.

Plus, when my grandchildren come over for visit, they like to play the digital because of all the different sounds and accompaniment. They call it the "funky piano". And, it keeps them from pounding on my acoustics, to an extent. smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Good point about the portability, Rickster. I don't play much outside my home now, but if I ever did, bringing the DP along would be much easier that strapping the Kawai on my back, haha.

Kawai RX-6 BLAK
I
I
Originally Posted by Radio.Octave
... For those who play both digitals and acoustics, do you find that going back and forth between the two messes with you technique?

A bit.

Originally Posted by ebonykawai
... digital upstairs near the bedrooms, so I got something that can be quiet when I need it to be. smile

Mine too... so I got something when I cannot hear myself playing the U3 with the top open.

1892 Bechstein III -> 2015 Yamaha U3
S
S
I am fortunate enough to own both an acoustic grand and a digital. Living in a very small apartment, it is essential that I have both, since I limit my time on the grand to one hour a day to respect my neighbors. If I had my druthers, I would only play the acoustic. However, the digital is awesome for when I need to practice beyond 8 pm or when I just need to get in a long session. Also, I try to limit scales and exercises and really tedious practice on my grand to not annoy my neighbors (who- knock on wood- have never complained!).

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Radio.Octave
For those who play both digitals and acoustics, do you find that going back and forth between the two messes with you technique?

No, quite the opposite. If you only have and play one keyboard instrument, you don't develop the ability to adapt to others that you may encounter elsewhere.

It matters a lot what kind of digital you get. Some come quite close to emulating acoustics. Others quite close to emulating a row of doorbell buttons. A reasonable quality digital will be better than many of the worn out and unmaintained acoustics you'll find in bars, restaurants, and private clubs.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
L
L
Originally Posted by JohnSprung
No, quite the opposite. If you only have and play one keyboard instrument, you don't develop the ability to adapt to others that you may encounter elsewhere.

THIS. Unless we play for a church or school, or are actively taking lessons, many of us don't have an opportunity to play another piano other than our own. As fun as it is to become extremely familiar with your own piano, it can be a rather shocking adjustment to suddenly play a different piano (as recently happened to me at a family funeral).

I played exclusively on a Privia for about a decade, then bought a grand. Moving back and forth gives my fingers an opportunity to adapt to two different keyboards - something many people don't have access to.

1986 Kawai GE-2 (5'7")
Casio PX-100 DP
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
I am considering to buy a digital for one sole purpose: composition. So that I don't have to write down everything.

S
S
Oops- didn't answer the other part of the question. No, I don't think going back and forth between an acoustic and a digital piano messes with my technique. That said, someone first learning the piano should use an acoustic. I've been playing the piano for over 25 years. I accommodated my playing to a DP just a few years ago, but I wouldn't have wanted to build a foundation on a DP. It's just a different instrument from an acoustic. As the owner of both acoustic and digital pianos, I agree it gives you some flexibility when it comes to performing outside your home.

I own an Mason & Hamlin BB 7' Semi-Concert Grand, a Yamaha C3 6' Conservatory Grand, and a Yamaha Clavinova CLP-560 88-key Weighted Digital Piano, 32-note polyphony - circa 1994 (which is now over my mom's house). My wife also owns a very excellent Technics SX-PX662 88-key Graded Hammer Weighted Digital Piano, 64-note polyphony - circa 2001 - that we keep in our 4 year old twin's play area. I've attached my oldie, but goodie, Yamaha TG-33 Tone Generator to the Technics Digital for additional instrumental and sound effects.

BUT...
I also have a PianoDisc & ProRecord Optical Key Sensing Recording System that was installed in my Mason & Hamlin BB at the factory, which turns this piano into a MIDI controller, recording device and player piano. This has replaced both the Technics and Yamaha as my primary digital recording device.

I currently use it mainly for creating MIDI Recordings (in parallel with my Digital Audio Recording) and occasional output to Notation software.

Jason Solomonides
Mason & Hamlin 7' BB 93623
Yamaha 6'1" C3 (w/WNG) D3010008
My Piano Recordings:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkP65I5BsNipAaT6BbTL-A7ibPdOv0DEZ
Mason & Hamlin Artist
Nope, it doesn't mess you up, it actually makes you better. At least I hope so!

Two acoustics in my life (Yamaha G3, Bosendorfer 220), three different digitals (Nord Piano 2, Stage 2 and Electro 5 -- all with very different actions) and a AvantGrand digital hybrid that neatly splits the difference.

The AvantGrand has the stiffest action. Makes my fingers very strong. Also has MIDI, which is nice.

The Bosendorfer has the most responsive action, and shows all sorts of flaws in my technique. When I gig, the Nord acoustics are a breeze by comparison. And unweighted organ/synth technique is altogether different.

Life is too short to be playing bad music.

Practice: Bosie 200, Yam N3
Live: Nord Piano 4, Stage 3 Compact
Amps: QSC K.2s, RCF TT08-s, FA 12-ac, CPS SSv3
Support: STAY stands, X-Air mixers, Vent II, etc
Originally Posted by Eldridge
I am a classical pianist, and I find that even on its most resistant setting that the touch on my digital is too light for my taste; so I don't use it for practice.

Although I'm a play-for-my-own-enjoyment rather than a classical pianist, I agree with Eldridge that my digital's touch is much lighter than my acoustic. Since I don't have much in the way of technique, I can't say switching back and forth is a problem. But the digital is great fun with all its bells and whistles. In an apartment I'm limited to how much time I can spend on the acoustic, so the digital with its headphones is valuable to me.

Nelsthepianoplayer (formerly Annitenth)
Bõsendorfer 225
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

Digitals don't all have the same touch. They vary even more widely than do acoustics. Go to a big piano store and try a lot of acoustics. Then go to a Guitar Center or Sam Ash or whatever and try a lot of digitals. Talking about touch isn't as useful as just getting a feel for it by trying a lot of instruments.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Es920 production stopped??
by playplayplay - 12/07/21 12:07 AM
Mehlin & Sons Piano Identification
by LeviWhitted - 12/06/21 08:37 PM
jack position button not present in old grand
by f4tune81 - 12/06/21 08:11 PM
Thinking about recital #65
by stevedoz - 12/06/21 04:28 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,420
Posts3,151,114
Members103,539
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission