2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, 14 invisible), 2,019 guests, and 354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
Hello,

I inquired on this forum at the end of 2014 about buying a digital piano. Unfortunately, some unforeseen events at that time have caused me to put that aside. Well, now I finally intend to buy an instrument, and I'm choosing between the Kawai CN-14 and Yamaha YDP-162. The price is about the same.

Here in Germany, the CN-14 is very similar, almost identical to the KDP90 in the US. I have read reviews of both the KDP90/CN-14 and the YDP-162, but it is still difficult for me to decide. I don't have the same questions I had in 2014, but there are some other things I'm thinking about, and would love to hear some thoughts on the following:

1.) More realistic key action on CN-14 vs. somewhat less realistic but (supposedly) more reliable key action & quality of keys on YDP-162.

I have heard from quite a few people that Yamaha is more reliable, better constructed, and for Kawai there are supposedly more users who needed to get repairs done, with some keys being damaged. I have absoutely no idea if this is true, but it is worrysome to hear something like that, as I want something of high quality where I don't have to worry that a key will break because of repeated practice of fortissimo passages, or other reasons.

2.) 196 note polyphony on CN-14 vs. 128 note polyphony on YDP-162.

This is currently being discussed in this thread.

3.) Keys requiring less finger pressure on CN-14 vs. keys requiring more finger pressure on YDP-162.

If I remember correctly, a user on a forum complained that he wasn't able to play some Chopin etudes very well due to the heavy keys. He wrote there were quite a few slipped notes, and that it was the key action's fault. Is this really something one should worry about, or does it really just come down to skill level? I mean, I can play pretty difficult, fast passages. Will I have to worry about slipped notes on the YDP-162 if my piano technique is very good? The other question would be, is it a problem to play one single note fast repeatedly on this instrument?

Those would be the major issues that are bothering me. Other things are better speakers on the Yamaha, and arguably somewhat better sound, but again, this is not a huge concern.

I know that touch is very subjective and that many people will say I need to try both pianos and compare them, but I'm not sure that the small music store in this town has both instruments. In any case I intend to go and see what they have.

Please keep in mind that I'm not interested in Roland or Casio at the moment, and an acoustic is out of the question. It's a decision only between these two instruments I mentioned. If someone could provide some insight, it is much appreciated.

Thank you all. smile

Yamaha Clavinova CLP-645 Polished Ebony
Korg Triton Studio 61
Korg Pa800
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I vote for Kawai for action, i like it more compare to GH Yamaha, but for internal sound and speakers Yamaha has more sweetest sound. Neither one has heavy keys. Heavy keys are not a problem, but quality of mechanism inside and weak fingers does. If internal sounds doesnt mean a lot for you, I will go with Kawai + piano VST. If your piano skill is high, you will feel weakness of both products, but no problems with playing any passages.

Last edited by slobajudge; 06/05/16 03:11 PM.
YDP-163 is out now with 192 note polyphony and the GH3 keyboard with 3 sensors. smile
Works also with Ipad.

Peace

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Stephano
I know that touch is very subjective and that many people will say I need to try both pianos and compare them, but I'm not sure that the small music store in this town has both instruments. In any case I intend to go and see what they have.

Hello Stephano,

If you have not done so already, I would recommend trying the dealer locator on the Kawai Europe website: http://www.kawai.de/dealers.htm

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Originally Posted by Rille Stark
YDP-163 is out now with 192 note polyphony and the GH3 keyboard with 3 sensors. smile

Yes, that's a nice improvement, however the YDP-163 is approximately €200 more expensive than the previous generation model.

Kind regards,
James
x

No, that's not correct, as far as I can see. The MSRP is the same but the older model is sold with rebate.

Peace

Originally Posted by Rille Stark
No, that's not correct, as far as I can see. The MSRP is the same but the older model is sold with rebate.

I'm not sure I understand your point regarding rebates. I'm just comparing the direct prices listed on Thomann.de:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Kind regards,
James
x

S
OP Offline
S
Not sure if the price difference for the YDP-163 is worth it, but I'm really leaning towards buying it.

The only thing holding me back is the fact that there are zero reviews for it out there. It's understandable, seeing that it came out in April 2016, but I'd love to be able to read at least one review for the product.

Last edited by Stephano; 06/06/16 10:01 PM.

Korg Triton Studio 61
Korg Pa800
C
C
The ydp-162 is a great quality digital piano. The kawai's are fine as well. I would go for the Yamaha in either the 162 or new 163. You don't need more the 128 polyphony for 95% of the time. Buy what sounds good and feels good. Best of luck.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The only thing holding me back is the fact that there are zero reviews for it out there. It's understandable, seeing that it came out in April 2016, but I'd love to be able to read at least one review for the product.

You can read a YDP162 review. The differences are the keyboard (a third sensor which enable you to repeat faster a single note), and the polyphony (I have already tell you what I think about it). The tone generator (Pure CF) is the same.

If you realy want a review about the YDP163 keyboard (GH3), you can search a CLP525/CLP440/CLP430 review and read only the keyboard part of it.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Frédéric L
If you realy want a review about the YDP163 keyboard (GH3), you can search a CLP525/CLP440/CLP430 review and read only the keyboard part of it.

I know, but I thought maybe the product itself (YDP163) could have some flaws, and there'd be no way of knowing that without reading some reviews.

Although I don't think it is likely that Yamaha would release new products with some sort of defect(s). Am I right?

Last edited by Stephano; 06/07/16 01:28 PM.

Korg Triton Studio 61
Korg Pa800
S
S
Originally Posted by Frédéric L

I know, but I thought maybe the product itself (YDP163) could have some flaws, and there'd be no way of knowing that without reading some reviews.

Although I don't think it is likely that Yamaha would release new products with some sort of defect(s). Am I right?

I bought my YDP 163 yesterday as my first ever digital piano. Assembled it today... Now I can't play any songs or whatever because I have literally never played piano or any instrument in my life, but from my limited time just trying to make some sounds there don't appear to be any defects.

I eventually decided to buy the 163 because even if I don't necessarily feel the difference between the 162 and 163, the 163 is newer, and if in the future I decide to upgrade, or have to quit playing for whatever reason, the 163 will hold more value as it's more recent.

Just my 2 cents.

S
OP Offline
S
That's good to hear, Scylin. Enjoy your new (and first) digital piano.

Korg Triton Studio 61
Korg Pa800
S
OP Offline
S
I ordered the YDP-163 today. Will report back with my thoughts after I try it.

Korg Triton Studio 61
Korg Pa800
C
C
Congrats on the purchase of the Yamaha ydp163. You'll enjoy it for years!
Let us know how you like it.

S
OP Offline
S
Alright, here's an update, as I've been playing my new YDP-163 for a week now.

I'm very satisfied with the instrument. The action (GH3) is indeed a bit on the heavy side, but it doesn't bother me at all. It is very expressive, and I can easily go from ppp to fff and everything in between. Playing very fast passages is not a problem either. The sound through the internal speakers is good, and through headphones it is much better, very good actually, although this is a matter of taste. In short, I'm very happy with my purchase.

That said, I'm really enjoying playing these days, as I haven't played anything with 88 keys in a very long time. Right now I'm relearning old pieces I once played, while also practicing new pieces.

Korg Triton Studio 61
Korg Pa800
Congrats Stephano!

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission