2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
26 members (crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, 8 invisible), 1,254 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 34 of 101 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 100 101
ebonyk #2550699 06/20/16 06:57 AM
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Wow ebonykawai your summer is starting off a lot busier than mine smile

I think your strategy as far as Level 4 is concerned is pretty sound. Had this been six months ago knowing what I know now, I would have split my studies the following way: 50% PA Level 4 Lesson and Performance books only; 25% repertoire (In my case Faber Developing Artist Literature Book 2); 25% "special assignments" from my teacher and other sources.

A this point we'll see how the summer goes, however I'm starting to think maybe I should do the same thing for Level 5 as well.

We'll see...

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I'm also thinking I'll go through level 5. With the addition of appropriate level repertoire, I can't see how any of it would be a waste of time. There really is a lot of small bits of information scattered within PA that I now appreciate. I think it's a good direction!

Happy first day of Summer!! smile

Cunningham Studio grand; Yamaha CLP-645 Clavinova
ebonyk #2550958 06/21/16 03:00 AM
M
M
Originally Posted by ebonykawai
Well, I'm back, LOL. The RCM teacher fell through, she just has too many students and nothing fits into my schedule, even in the fall. I was disappointed at first, and started on RCM level 3 pieces, which are really enjoyable. I finished the Bach Musette in D and am 3/4 of the way through the Clementi Sonatina in C, 1st movement. Going that way, there's really only repertoire and theory, and I started to miss the way that PA mixes things up, giving lead sheets and short studies and the like. So I've decided to continue on with PA and choose one RCM piece every few weeks to learn, as well. I'm finishing 3B in the next couple weeks, then starting 4. Since I did 16th notes and octaves in the musette, and chord inversions and major and minor triads already, which are also in the technical part of RCM that I'm following, I'll just be finishing up two pieces in performance, then Pachelbel Canon. Then I'll start level 4 PA.

As for The Spy, I agree, you have to play it SLOW!! The Clementi I'm playing is great because it forces me to go really slow and get the fingering correct, or else all heck breaks loose, LOL. That was an important lesson I needed to get into my brain. Slow and steady will eventually win the race!

Oh.....one other thing I've been up to: I bought a violin. I played for 3 years in middle school, LOL. It's going to be a really interesting summer! smile

Wow Ebony....congrats..looks like you breezed through Level 3B. I am still stuck on unit 2 of that level. The going is tough for me.

I can't wait to learn The Spy.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mario2015

Wow Ebony....congrats..looks like you breezed through Level 3B. I am still stuck on unit 2 of that level. The going is tough for me.

Mario, it's only because I played before, for about 3 years. I've been trying to get up to speed in the last year and this time around I was seriously doing theory, which I never did before. So I've been going though at my own pace, learning the theory as I go, but yeah, I did go faster because I'm trying to get back to the level I was at when I stopped played before. I'm almost there, so the journey for me seems like it's taken a while, but at least I have the theory down solid now and I fully understand the music. Before when I was learning with a teacher, she never had me learn theory so I had no idea about what the chords and inversions were and how harmony worked, even though I was playing Chopin preludes. It wasn't a good way to learn, back then, so this time I did things differently, and I'm SO GLAD I did!!

Take your time, you're doing great, Mario!!! 3B is a jump, you'll get more comfortable soon!

Y
Y
Still slowly self learning book 1 and found this YouTube channel quite helpful and informative. "Lets Play Piano Methods" YouTube channel

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCIeSnI-BmRMkxURGZ7nHtzQ

BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Welcome yellojello!

For those folks who are completely self-learning, a study aid like the one you attached could be of help. In fact, the first 50 seconds of the first video explains very nicely why a teacher is so important.

Best of luck and let us know how you are progressing through the wonderful world of Faber. smile

Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
ebonyk #2551457 06/23/16 03:07 AM
M
M
Originally Posted by ebonykawai
Originally Posted by Mario2015

Mario, it's only because I played before, for about 3 years. I've been trying to get up to speed in the last year and this time around I was seriously doing theory, which I never did before. So I've been going though at my own pace, learning the theory as I go, but yeah, I did go faster because I'm trying to get back to the level I was at when I stopped played before. I'm almost there, so the journey for me seems like it's taken a while, but at least I have the theory down solid now and I fully understand the music. Before when I was learning with a teacher, she never had me learn theory so I had no idea about what the chords and inversions were and how harmony worked, even though I was playing Chopin preludes. It wasn't a good way to learn, back then, so this time I did things differently, and I'm SO GLAD I did!!

Take your time, you're doing great, Mario!!! 3B is a jump, you'll get more comfortable soon!

Hi Ebony,

That explains it.

A bad teacher can really ruin things for you. That is why I have placed myself in the hands of the Fabers. I've had a teacher before and she was rubbish (no theory...no set pace, etc.).

A violin is such a beautiful instrument but what I hear extremely hard to play. You've very brave to take on two instruments at a time smile. But they would be a perfect complement.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Awww, thanks, Mario! Not that brave, really, I played violin in school for about 3 years, as well, but that's over 40 years ago, LOL!! Violin IS hard, to me much harder in some ways than piano because you have to find the notes yourself with your fingers and your ears. It's REALLY challenging! And then bowing takes a good while to get down, too. I was amazed that my arm remembered how to shift forward to keep the bow straight in the strings, I was certain I wouldn't remember anything at all. The body and mind are quite incredible!

I won't be getting so in depth with the violin, mostly just playing Irish and Scottish tunes. So I suppose I should be calling it a fiddle, LOL! It's a lovely instrument.

I totally agree about teachers, you have to be careful. I'm probably going to go back to having one again, but it's kind of a nice break without one, really. I'll probably go back to my most recent teacher in Sept. She really is quite good. My last teacher, years ago, was very nice and all that, but by not doing theory, I was just playing in the dark. Music has such a depth to it!

I also have a ukulele, BTW, which is CAKE to play, OMG it's so easy!! And it's a real blast, I can play it while I'm in the back yard on my hammock! I'm learning Campanella technique on that, and also playing Irish and Scottish music. It sounds like a harp, it's so beautiful.

The world is full of music just waiting to come alive! We're all so lucky, aren't we? It's amazing!

Last edited by ebonykawai; 06/23/16 08:17 PM.

A little bit off-topic (trying to ignore our terrible election results right now!), but how did you learn the uke? I've had one lying around for ages but never got around to learning to play it. Are there any books/videos/websites you'd recommend?

Roland F130-R
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Trevor, the uke is super easy to play and it's a blast! Here's a few links on Youtube, honestly, just put in "beginner ukulele" and SO much comes up! I like this guy, he has a bunch of great stuff and he explains it very well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qh2JQwkhjk

It depends what you want to play, really, you can learn the chords to play and sing along, or you can learn fingering and play it more like a harp. This guy is great, too, for teaching how to read tablature and how to play by fingering:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ji8DUkEDrA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_qBwSr2WbY

Ukulele for Dummies is a pretty good book, there's a lot of info in there, but you can get something shorter that gives basic chords and fingering easy songs. Check Amazon, there's DVDs too, but so much is on Youtube, it's crazy!

Last edited by ebonykawai; 06/24/16 04:00 PM.

ebonyk #2551891 06/24/16 10:45 PM
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
I tried to learn the guitar (left-handed) a year or so ago. With my full-time job and other things, it became clear after a few weeks that I could only deal with learning one musical instrument at a time. shocked

Well after a 3 month break, I have started Unit 4 of the Lesson book. Feels good to be back, however the last few months were pretty amazing, having played/passed 10 pieces of various difficulties to finish up Developing Artist Book 2.

Moving on to the Developing Artist Book 3 next week.

Thanks for the Uke tips, ebonykawaii! I already have the Ukulele for dummies book lying around. I should just use it! smile

Back on topic: Still working The Spy. It's a fun piece, but I'm finding it really tricky. My teacher gave me some tips to improve my tempo (currently: slowly, left hand stuccato) and I'm gradually relaxing my hands a bit. I'll get there… eventually.

I've also started learning this piece by Berthold Hummel from the ABRSM grade 2 book, which is easier, but no less interesting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPlCxnbiaf0

Roland F130-R
SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW progression. Anyone else just get stuck on a piece that they feel like they're going to be working on for the rest of their lives? That's how I feel about The Spy right now. I can still only play about half of the song, badly. Ugh. Sorry, just felt the need to rant.

Happy 4th! laugh

Roland F130-R
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Hey Trevor; this is definitely the place to rant smile

To me there is a difference between slow progress and no progress. For The Spy, I still hear progress being made in your words. Give it another week, and keep it slow through the tough parts. If you are not progressing after that, put it away, at least for now.

In my case, I'm on the sixth (and last week) of learning Beethoven's Sonatina in G. I pretty much know when I have reached the point of playing a piece as well as I can, and my teacher's guidance helps at this point. For this piece, I'm at 95% and that's as well as I can do for now. Time to move on.

P.S. About that Revolutionary War thing a couple of hundred years ago: Sorry wink

Bsw Offline
I haven't posted in a while as I felt i was not getting anywhere but I have finally started on Faber & Faber 2B. It's been a little painful but new teacher has been trying to break me of bad habits allowed by previous teacher. I'm finally starting to feel like I'm making progress. I know they are easy pieces and I am anxious to move forward.
Piano is teaching me patience. And how important to have a good teacher!

Started October 2014
Faber & Faber 3
Faber & Faber 2B completed
Alfred's Adult All-In-One
[Linked Image]
Bsw #2554746 07/06/16 10:46 PM
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Great to hear from you Bsw! Let us know what pieces currently have your attention. There are some great ones scattered throughout this level.

My own Faber "Graduation": Tonight I started Faber Developing Artist Book 3; it took me 13 month to complete Book 2. This will take several years at least. The best part: The word "Intermediate" on the front cover. grin

Bsw Offline
Thanks Brian. First piece I'm working on is Theme from Trumpet Concerto in Eb. I'm enjoying the piece and of course some measures are giving me fits. How slow can I play to get it right!

Started October 2014
Faber & Faber 3
[Linked Image]
M
M
Originally Posted by TrevorM
SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW progression. Anyone else just get stuck on a piece that they feel like they're going to be working on for the rest of their lives? That's how I feel about The Spy right now. I can still only play about half of the song, badly. Ugh. Sorry, just felt the need to rant.

Happy 4th! laugh

Hi Trevor,

Exactly how I feel about some of those fast moving 3B pieces.

But to echo Brian's words, it is progress none-the-less.

Keep with it. It is a beautiful piece and you progressing toward being able to play it well.
Maybe then put it up on soundcloud or youtube for us to enjoy.

R

Bsw #2555052 07/07/16 10:43 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by Bsw
Thanks Brian. First piece I'm working on is Theme from Trumpet Concerto in Eb. I'm enjoying the piece and of course some measures are giving me fits. How slow can I play to get it right!

Hi BSW,

Ebony gave me some excellent advice when I was struggling with some fast pieces. I would like to share it with you.

Play at a slow pace and write down the tempo. Use a metronome to measure it.

Then increase the tempo a bit and play. Once you get comfortable, increase it a bit more....and so on.

I find it useful to write the current tempo on the music sheet.

Bsw Offline
Mario

Thanks for the tempo advice.. I will give it a try as I tend to slow down in more challenging spots and then speed up. I am getting better at playing slow but need to be more consistent thru out the whole thing

Started October 2014
Faber & Faber 3
[Linked Image]
Page 34 of 101 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 100 101

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission