2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (drumour, Foxtrot3, johnesp, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 7 invisible), 1,221 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 33 of 101 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 100 101
M
M
Originally Posted by TrevorM
Hey everyone!

Sorry to hear so many are leaving the Piano Adventures train… but it's great that we've all progressed this far and that the folks that are leaving are doing so because the Faber books have taught them so much!

I've talked to my teacher about following the ABRSM syllabus and, maybe, later down the line, doing the grade 5 exam for real. I don't feel any need to prove myself (at 40 you really start to not care what other people think!), but it's nice to have a goal. I suggested that I was about a grade 2-3 level and he agreed and suggested maybe a 4, but I think that's pushing it… or maybe I don't have enough confidence. Either way, I'm behind on quite a lot of things like scales and all that other stuff, they can't be too hard to learn, right? wink

Anyway, I feel like I've got about as far as I can in the Piano Adventures books. I'm currently studying "The Spy" in Book 4, which is actually a lot of fun (even if I can't get my left and right hands to play nicely yet!). And I'll definitely be coming back to play the arrangement of the Jurassic Park theme in the Book 4 Popular Repertoire book.

I think I mentioned before that I was trying out some Scott Joplin? I think I got ahead of myself there. It was great fun to get to play some, but I was making such slow progress that it became a chore. I'll come back to those again in a few months. smile

Mario, I didn't do 3B, but if you're really struggling with a piece it's sometimes just worth moving on, and coming back later. Often your brain and fingers will just figure it out while you're not working on it. That's the case for me, anyway! Also, I often found that I struggled on particular styles of music, and that the next piece would be really easy in comparison. Finally, always the oldest and most obvious bit of advice that I forget, too: slow down and take it one bar at a time. You'll get over that hurdle soon enough, just keep at it. smile

Thanks for the advise Trevor.

ebonyk #2547434 06/07/16 07:32 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by ebonykawai
Originally Posted by Mario2015

Hi Ebony,

Sorry to see you leave. Will pay us an occasional visit and let us know how you are doing.

I am still stuck in the first unit of 3B; its been more than 5 weeks. The pieces are quite fast and I am taking ages for my playing to adapt to the speed. Hope to move to the next unit next week.

Regards

Mario

For speed, what I've been doing is playing with the metronome at a speed that I can accomplish pretty easily. Then bump the speed up by a notch, stay there till I have it, then go up another notch. Really, it's that easy, it's a very gentle way to get to where you want to be, speed-wise. I'm doing this with the Bach piece I'm playing, you get used to it.

Thanks for your advise Ebony.

BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
I guess speed will come with time. Right now I am concentrating on getting the timing right as for example triplets sound horrible when the timing is off and it usually goes off when I try to play too fast.

Hi Mario;

My wife is currently learning the Malaguena in Level 3A and she is having the same issue. My advise to her: determine a comfortable speed that she can play each triplet sequence; then go back and play that tempo on the quarter note for the entire piece. That way, it doesn't sound like she is slowing down when she gets to the triplets.

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
U
U
Hi guys,
I've recently got Alfred's adult all in one book 1, but figure I would get faber's as well for supplmental studies. However, there seems to be two versions of faber's book 1 all in one book... do most people get the one with theory or the regular one?

https://www.amazon.com/Adult-Piano-...amp;sr=8-1&keywords=faber+all+in+one

https://www.amazon.com/Adult-Piano-...amp;sr=8-7&keywords=faber+all+in+one

Last edited by uptick; 06/08/16 02:07 PM.
Hi Uptick:
These appear to be the same. The first one is the 2nd edition where the later is the original that I am using. I found Faber to be superior to Alfred's. Like you, I wanted a supplemental volume to Fundamental Keys which is my primary book. I just couldn't get into the LH cord playing in Alfred's. Faber tries to develop hand independents which is a critical skill and I found the songs better as you progress.

[Linked Image]
U
U
One is published in 2001 while the other in 2002 though. Doesn't make a lot of sense for them to publish a new edition 1 year after the first edition.

I was thinking that maybe one contains theory and more information, while the other is mainly about techniques and song practices; not entirely sure though, hopefully someone could clarify :P

The first link appears to have the new 2016 cover. 2002 was apparently its original publication date.

It's worth getting the newer edition if you can as it has free accompanying videos and audio via their website https://pianoadventures.com/online-support-for-adult-piano-adventures/

The second one comes with a CD, but that's available on their website for free anyway so not worth the bother.

Last edited by TrevorM; 06/08/16 04:47 PM.

Roland F130-R
M
M
Originally Posted by BrianDX
I guess speed will come with time. Right now I am concentrating on getting the timing right as for example triplets sound horrible when the timing is off and it usually goes off when I try to play too fast.

Hi Mario;

My wife is currently learning the Malaguena in Level 3A and she is having the same issue. My advise to her: determine a comfortable speed that she can play each triplet sequence; then go back and play that tempo on the quarter note for the entire piece. That way, it doesn't sound like she is slowing down when she gets to the triplets.

That's a good piece of advice. Thanks Brian.

M
M
The first link appears to have the new 2016 cover. 2002 was apparently its original publication date.

It's worth getting the newer edition if you can as it has free accompanying videos and audio via their website https://pianoadventures.com/online-support-for-adult-piano-adventures/

The second one comes with a CD, but that's available on their website for free anyway so not worth the bother.

Also, as Brian pointed out and now that I have had both versions I agree with, the Fabers have rearranged the units and modified the pieces so that it is more in line with the skills acquired and so progress is easier. For example in the older version, once in a while you would come to a piece which in part or whole was relatively difficult to play and slowed your progress.

Last edited by Mario2015; 06/09/16 07:29 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
For example in the older version, once in a while you would come to a piece which in part or whole was relatively difficult to play and slowed your progress.

I certainly second that advice and I'm glad they fixed it! The triad inversions section was given too early, IMO, at least with the music they suggested. That hung me up for weeks and got me really frustrated.

Last edited by ebonykawai; 06/09/16 07:56 PM.

Cunningham Studio grand; Yamaha CLP-645 Clavinova
ebonyk #2548082 06/09/16 10:59 PM
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
I was in the middle of Level 3B when the second edition was published. I made the decision (with my teacher) to restart with the newer edition, and skip the sections I had already completed. It was a great decision and I'm glad it worked out.

Even the subtle changes they have made in Level 3A are nice. My wife is currently working on "Chariot Race", and I noticed they slightly altered the last 1/3 of the piece to make it easier to learn, yet keep the fun aspects.

Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Has anyone else played The Spy in Book 4? I'm currently working on it but I just can't get my hands to relax while playing, particularly the right hand. And because my hand is automatically tensing up it's becoming painful to play.

This hasn't happened before and I assume it's because the right hand is a series of fast-ish chords? The frustrating thing about it is that I'm aware of the tension but fixing it seems completely out of my control. I'm really starting to hate it and I've only got the first 10 bars or so down. frown

Roland F130-R
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Has anyone else played The Spy in Book 4? I'm currently working on it but I just can't get my hands to relax while playing, particularly the right hand. And because my hand is automatically tensing up it's becoming painful to play.

This hasn't happened before and I assume it's because the right hand is a series of fast-ish chords? The frustrating thing about it is that I'm aware of the tension but fixing it seems completely out of my control. I'm really starting to hate it and I've only got the first 10 bars or so down. frown

I learned and passed that piece a few months ago. I know what you are experiencing Trevor, and the combination of slow practice and several sessions with my teacher fixed all of my issues.

Thanks, Brian. "Slow down" is usually the answer to any piano playing problem! I have a lesson tonight and my teacher will probably say the same thing. smile

Roland F130-R
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Good luck Trevor!

So far (mid-way through Level 4) this is my favorite Nancy Faber piece. It is hard to play correctly, but such fun to learn and listen to, that it is worth the effort to get it down correctly.

M
M
Good luck Trevor!

So far (mid-way through Level 4) this is my favorite Nancy Faber piece. It is hard to play correctly, but such fun to learn and listen to, that it is worth the effort to get it down correctly.

I have to say I love that piece. Just heard it from TinyMozart on YouTube. Nice jazzy little piece. Can't wait to get to it.

I have to say I love that piece. Just heard it from TinyMozart on YouTube. Nice jazzy little piece. Can't wait to get to it.

It's tougher than it looks, but I'm getting there. SLOWLY.

Roland F130-R
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
It looks like I will be re-starting Level 4 in two weeks after a 3 month hiatus. My teacher and I decided to only focus on the Lesson and Performance books at this point.

I've been thinking about this the last few weeks. I'm coming to the opinion that Faber's concept of four core books has its merits, but only through the Elementary level (Basically PA Level 3A).

Beyond that (at least through Level 4) it seems to me that sticking to just the Lesson Book (including the sight-reading supplement which I absolutely love) and the Performance Book, plus teacher-selected repertoire pieces is the best way to progress, at least for me.

I have to say I am a bit tempted to still try the Level 5 Lesson and Performance books (there are no Technique or Sight-reading books), but my teacher seems to be against the idea.

We'll see...

I have to say I am a bit tempted to still try the Level 5 Lesson and Performance books (there are no Technique or Sight-reading books), but my teacher seems to be against the idea.

I'm certainly not going to go through book 5, but there are a lot of great pieces in the lesson book that I'd still like to try at some point, including a version of St Louis Blues.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMFLV1svOUsRIsFiYXK5peYfIZLBhyM9L

The stuff in 5 seems a lot harder than the stuff in 4!

Roland F130-R
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Well, I'm back, LOL. The RCM teacher fell through, she just has too many students and nothing fits into my schedule, even in the fall. I was disappointed at first, and started on RCM level 3 pieces, which are really enjoyable. I finished the Bach Musette in D and am 3/4 of the way through the Clementi Sonatina in C, 1st movement. Going that way, there's really only repertoire and theory, and I started to miss the way that PA mixes things up, giving lead sheets and short studies and the like. So I've decided to continue on with PA and choose one RCM piece every few weeks to learn, as well. I'm finishing 3B in the next couple weeks, then starting 4. Since I did 16th notes and octaves in the musette, and chord inversions and major and minor triads already, which are also in the technical part of RCM that I'm following, I'll just be finishing up two pieces in performance, then Pachelbel Canon. Then I'll start level 4 PA.

As for The Spy, I agree, you have to play it SLOW!! The Clementi I'm playing is great because it forces me to go really slow and get the fingering correct, or else all heck breaks loose, LOL. That was an important lesson I needed to get into my brain. Slow and steady will eventually win the race!

Oh.....one other thing I've been up to: I bought a violin. I played for 3 years in middle school, LOL. It's going to be a really interesting summer! smile

Last edited by ebonykawai; 06/18/16 05:41 PM.

Cunningham Studio grand; Yamaha CLP-645 Clavinova
Page 33 of 101 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 100 101

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission