2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
49 members (716GoBills, Carey, EB5AGV, 36251, AdamJ, Curt-S, aphexdisklavier, eddiepiano, clothearednincompo, 10 invisible), 919 guests, and 486 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
ebonyk Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Hi everyone! There's an estate sale here tomorrow and I'm first in line to possibly purchase a Yamaha G2 (I've played one before and really liked it). It's a 1971, ebony, single owner, supposedly in pristine condition. I have my tech coming with me to check it out in the morning. The price is $4700, crazy estate sale price, LOL

My question is: I have a fantastic Yamaha U1 which is also absolutely gorgeous in walnut. Another steal, I got it for $1500 and it was almost like new, hardly ever played, one owner. It's got an amazing sound and I love it. If I do indeed decide to get this grand, I wouldn't sell the U1, but I'd move it to another room. The grand is going into a 12x13 foot room, pretty much the only place I can put it. I don't have a lot of room in my house, so this would require some finagling. Do you think it would be worth it, getting this grand, when I already have the U1 that I enjoy tremendously? Apart from the fact that it's a grand and might be a huge steal, do I NEED a grand??

I've always wanted a grand, and the G2 I've had my eye on for some time, but they seldom come up. I just don't know if I would get any further benefit/enjoyment, as a player, from the grand that I don't already get from my U1. I WANT a grand but I'm wondering if the added clutter and trouble of moving things around might dim the pleasure of actually owning it.

Has anyone else gone though a similar scenario? All opinions are much welcomed, I have to make a decision at 9am tomorrow morning (Friday 2/26). THANK YOU!!!!

Lisa

Playing RCM 7-8 repertoire
Cunningham Studio Grand & Yamaha CLP645

"I tell my piano the things I used to tell you." - Frederic Chopin
S
S
Assuming your tech gives the okay, snap it up. I have no idea whether that price is a bargain or not, but you'll always be sitting at the U1 thinking it could be the G2. Once you've played them both for a year or two you can make a final decision and sell one or the other. Or keep them both. You capitalized WANT for a reason.

Adult Beginner/Early Intermediate
Knabe 1902 Grand
I
I
Originally Posted by ebonykawai
I just don't know if I would get any further benefit/enjoyment, as a player, from the grand that I don't already get from my U1.

If you don't then maybe you won't. There is a difference in sound projection and action feel that I think justify getting the grand, other things being at least approximately equal, such as between the modern U1 and GC2.

1892 Bechstein III -> 2015 Yamaha U3
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
It can be tempting to buy anything that's selling at an unusually good price(not saying the piano fits that category), but I think that should be the last on a list of reasons to buy a particular piano.

More important questions IMO are:
1. What is your present playing level and goals for the future?
2. Do you prefer the sound and touch of the grand?
3. Is this piano really a steal?
4. What are your finances like?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I actually don't think that price is all that amazing, considering it's 45 years old, has no warranty, and we don't know what shape it's in now (as we know, every used piano is, of course, in "mint condition"!!!).

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
We have a Yamaha G2 and I love it. I tried to send you a PM with the price I paid for mine last year but I don't think it went through. I think our piano is either the same or similar age- I know it's early 1970's for sure.

My son has been playing ours for almost a year and we love our piano. I was really nervous about buying it and I remember when it was being loaded wondering whether I had made a good decision in purchasing it because we already owned an upright and I thought I would miss the upright. I can say for sure now that we made the right choice. Once the grand was placed in the house, the Everett Studio upright never was played again. Ours has been very stable and we've had no problems. FWIW- We have a gray market G2 piano (two pedals) made in Japan.

Also I can say the piano looks beautiful in our family room too.

Last edited by pianoMom2006; 02/25/16 01:39 PM.

Yamaha G2
ebonyk Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the opinions, everyone! In answer to the questions:

1. What is your present playing level and goals for the future? intermediate and taking lessons; my goals are to keep progressing, but I play for the love of it, I'll never be professional

2. Do you prefer the sound and touch of the grand? I don't know that I prefer it, I've played a lot of grands and I always compare them to my U1, which has a wonderful touch. I have to attribute this to my tuner/tech, as he keeps it in fantastic shape. I often sit at a grand and think to myself "My U1 is so much better then this!" But I did play a G2 recently and enjoyed it. I don't remember making such a comparison then.

3. Is this piano really a steal? No idea right now, only tomorrow will tell.

4. What are your finances like? Fine, I could buy it no problem.

Lisa

ebonyk Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by scgrant
Assuming your tech gives the okay, snap it up. I have no idea whether that price is a bargain or not, but you'll always be sitting at the U1 thinking it could be the G2. Once you've played them both for a year or two you can make a final decision and sell one or the other. Or keep them both. You capitalized WANT for a reason.

Or I could be thinking "I'm so glad I didn't get that grand", LOL. That's my dilemma. I love my upright. I'm wondering if I should just call it good enough and be done with it, and stop the search for a grand. It's not like I have a big space for it anyway, though it would fit in my room just fine. I'm just feeling that it might be overkill in my house.

Lisa

I went to a piano store a few days ago.
This one couple with their child came in and looked for a baby grand.
I was wondering who played, since I hear the little one banging on the keys.
Then they tell me neither of them know how.
They ended up buying a $20,000 Ritmuller grand with a player option (extra) so that if the kid doesn't play, he'll have it as furniture.
By the way, he's an orthopedic surgeon so.
When he left, we told him
"See you in 15 years at Carnegie Hall" haha.
He smiled and laughed waving goodbye.
So honestly, if you love playing, go for it, but don't buy it if you don't know how to play chopsticks smile

Last edited by Kenan; 02/25/16 02:01 PM.

-Kenan
Pearl River EU122 48"
I've been playing piano with a teacher
since January '15
Studying under Eunmi Ko of USF as of June '16

My Youtube Channel

My Soundcloud

I also love Astronomy
C
C
You're how old again?

Wiser than my 45 years, that's for sure.

:o))

ebonyk Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
I'm 50, LOL! And a Capricorn. Very cautious!

"So honestly, if you love playing, go for it, but don't buy it if you don't know how to play chopsticks." Exactly. I'm playing Chopin preludes and about to try my first mazurka. Holy cow, a Ritmuller! I can't even imagine buying on of those.

Last edited by ebonykawai; 02/25/16 02:35 PM.

Lisa

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Regarding whether you want *this* one, how many grand pianos did you actually try? It sounds like you're taking the first one you come around.

Regarding the price, there is a standard deprecation table here

http://www.pianoworld.com/value4.htm

I think they mean "new one *at the time it was bought*"

1971, that is 44 years, brings you into the 20% of new category.

I seee a 2nd hand G2 from 1974 here
http://www.pianoscarlier.be/es/secondhandpianos_grandpianos.html&a=0&srt=yamaha
It goes for 5500 euros but that's VAT included and from a dealer with 5 years warranty.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
T
T
I'd listen closely to what your tech says. You state you want a grand and can afford one, so the real question is this the right one? Don't get caught up in buying it because you have first dibs on it. This is just one more piano that you get to look at, there are a lot more out there, and if this doesn't work out continue putting money aside for the next one.

I'm also going to guess that if you get a grand that you love, you are going to end up with some extra cash when you decide to sell the U1.

C
C
So, I'm coming at this from the other end of the piano spectrum.

I grew up with a baby grand piano. They make for beautiful furniture, and I'm sure the good ones are a treat to play. Since I have NO piano experience beyond my parents piano that hasn't been played in decades and my banged up 1948 console, maybe I can help nudge you a bit from an "elephant (or moose) in the room" perspective.

Here we go:

That piano will own you.

It will eat up an entire room.

You can't move it by yourself, not even a couple of inches. (See the thread from the other day on how that can turn out.)

If you have cats, they are likely to take up residence inside the piano and have a furball party. Not that I mind cats on a piano.

You may end up cherishing that piano more than your cats and decide to rehome them. The Piano World cat people may have a problem with this.

Let's say you and your family travel to the Caribbean for two weeks, and during that time a sudden rainstorm pours for days and days back home. Did you think to close up the grand before you left? Does someone have a key so they can do this for you? It's much more exposed to humidity (and critters and other inconveniences) than an upright.

You may find yourself fearing the grandness of the grand in your home. Once the excitement abates, this piano could intimidate you, and you may end up feeling like a man caught between two women.

The loyalty you feel for your Yamaha U1 is likely to keep you coming back to that one, and yet the guilt of not giving equal play time to the other lady in your life could become a burden.

On the flip, this could be a fun experiment, and pending your technician's approval, you may enjoy having a grand in your home, and you can always resell it in a year and probably even turn a nice profit.

Carla :o))

ebonyk Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wouter79
Regarding whether you want *this* one, how many grand pianos did you actually try? It sounds like you're taking the first one you come around.

I wasn't shopping for one, actually. It just came up. I've played quite a few grands, not to shop for one but because I find it eye-opening and interesting. I've never shopped for one because I have limited space, they are usually WAY out of my price range, and I'm happy with my upright. But this one has me contemplating.....

Lisa

ebonyk Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MooseNotes
So, I'm coming at this from the other end of the piano spectrum.

Carla :o))

Exactly, I've been thinking about most of these things! And yes, I do have cats.

Lisa

C
C
Just from a furniture/eyeball perspective, the ebony grand (it's black, correct?) would be a nice companion to your gorgeous walnut piano.

But the walnut and, say, a cherry finish, may not feel so harmonious in your home.

C
C
Regarding space concerns - I got rid of my dining room table so I could fit my first grand in the 600 sq ft apartment I was living in at the time. I never regretted it and always felt it was the best possible use of my available space.

Regarding cats - I have two, and one of them has a bad habit of getting on top of the piano when I'm not looking. So, I keep the lid closed when not in use, often the fallboard, too. The case on my piano is fairly beat up, so I don't get too bent out of shape when I catch the cat on the piano. But, if it was newer, more expensive, or refinished, I would probably invest in a piano cover to protect it from the cat.

Maybe it won't be the same for you, but for me, I've realized that since trading in my upright for my first grand years ago, I'll never be able to go back to an upright. That's good or bad, depending on your perspective.

Yamaha C2X
ebonyk Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Cassia
Regarding space concerns - I got rid of my dining room table so I could fit my first grand in the 600 sq ft apartment I was living in at the time. I never regretted it and always felt it was the best possible use of my available space.

Regarding cats - I have two, and one of them has a bad habit of getting on top of the piano when I'm not looking. So, I keep the lid closed when not in use, often the fallboard, too. The case on my piano is fairly beat up, so I don't get too bent out of shape when I catch the cat on the piano. But, if it was newer, more expensive, or refinished, I would probably invest in a piano cover to protect it from the cat.

Maybe it won't be the same for you, but for me, I've realized that since trading in my upright for my first grand years ago, I'll never be able to go back to an upright. That's good or bad, depending on your perspective.

Thank you, this is very helpful! Everyone has been tremendously helpful here, I can't thank you guys enough!

Lisa

C
C
No one has mentioned acoustics in a small room yet.

In the AB forum, someone just shared a photo of their piano room. I think she just acquired her first grand and didn't anticipate it sounding so loud. It's not an enclosed room like yours seems to be, and it's bigger.

She has a large area rug and some furniture and now needs to add some tapestries to help nullify some of that extra sound.

So that's another thing to consider.

But I also like Cassia's comment and wonder if this would be an enjoyable experiment for you.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Don't buy a Focusrite.
by Christopher90 - 06/25/21 07:35 AM
Smaller Room - Grand Lid Down?
by brdwyguy - 06/25/21 06:46 AM
Break-ups are hard
by Athdara - 06/24/21 11:54 PM
(Question) VST-applied MIDI and live-recorded VST
by Saberlarry - 06/24/21 11:39 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,694
Posts3,107,113
Members101,902
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission