2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
50 members (36251, AdamJ, 716GoBills, Carey, Curt-S, aphexdisklavier, clothearednincompo, c++, 12 invisible), 923 guests, and 489 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2512473 02/19/16 11:51 AM
S
OP Offline
S
I just purchased a Yamaha G1. On the harp, in the correct place, it has G1 embossed with the serial number R 4636912.

I did some research on Yamaha's web site. in 1988, the serial number ranges are 449xxxx-456xxxx. In 1989, the ranges are 467xxxx-467xxxx. My piano's serial number is 463xxxx which doesn't fall within the ranges on Yamaha's website. Should I believe that my piano was made in 1988 or 1989? Or is there something fishy about this?

And, their website doesn't address the "R" before the serial number. What does that mean?

thanks
Steve

T
T
According to http://www.yamaha.com/ussub/piano/serialnumberlookup.html your piano was made for the US market, so assuming you are in the US it is not gray market.

T
T
Originally Posted by sknight751

I did some research on Yamaha's web site. in 1988, the serial number ranges are 449xxxx-456xxxx. In 1989, the ranges are 467xxxx-467xxxx. My piano's serial number is 463xxxx which doesn't fall within the ranges on Yamaha's website. Should I believe that my piano was made in 1988 or 1989? Or is there something fishy about this?

I believe the left column is for uprights, the right for grands, at least that's how I read it.

T
T

Last edited by Troy 125; 02/19/16 12:11 PM. Reason: corrected web link
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sknight751
And, their website doesn't address the "R" before the serial number. What does that mean?

The "R" at the beginning of the serial # is likely that particular G1 model designation, which, though the actual G model did not change, some components or design may have from one G model to the next.

My 1978 Yamaha C7 has a B at the beginning of the serial #; DrewBone, another member here, has a slightely newer C7 (1979?) with a D at the beginning of the serial #. Notice the pattern?

Of course, I could be wrong.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Hello- I have a Yamaha G2 that I bought almost exactly 1 year ago. I think it's a 1972 model. I'm not at home looking at my piano but my serial number was not found on the Yamaha website either since it's a gray market- so that's normal. FWIW- It's been an incredibly stable piano. There was a short period of time in the fall when the humidity changed frequently and the piano sounded awful but by the time the tech came it had "re-adjusted" itself to the point where the tech decided just to regulate the piano instead and he did a very rough tuning adjustment since it was basically in tune. We have been extremely happy with our piano.

Last edited by pianoMom2006; 02/19/16 12:11 PM.

Yamaha G2
D
D
Originally Posted by Rickster
...My 1978 Yamaha C7 has a B at the beginning of the serial #; DrewBone, another member here, has a slightely newer C7 (1979?) with a D at the beginning of the serial #. Notice the pattern?

Of course, I could be wrong.

Rick

In regards to at least the Yamaha "C" series, I do believe that your summation is regards to the incremental "letter" models and their associated incremental serial numbers is correct Mr. Rick.

My C7 model "D", just like the previous models "B" and "C" has a letter preceding the serial number, i.e., thusly, here's mine (yes it was built in 1979):

[Linked Image]

Below is Yamaha's own (partial, sorry I couldn't shrink the original webpage any farther to include the entire list in the image, though I will include the link below) serial number list, which unfortunately doesn't convey when the particular "letter" models were introduced, though I suppose that information is out there somewhere:

[Linked Image]

"Finding the age of your Yamaha" link:

http://usa.yamaha.com/support/finding_age_of_yamaha_piano/

Regards,
Andy

1979 Yamaha C7D - Yamaha P115 - Korg MicroKORG synth. - Korg Kaossilator Pro synth.
C
C
I once wondered how legit was the serial number on a gray market piano. It does not seem difficult to scrape off the original and put on a serial number to make a piano appear "newer". I searched and found these postings on a British forum:
http://www.piano-tuners.org/piano-forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3709
So apparently, there are pianos with a funky serial number out there.

Last edited by Chu Bun; 02/19/16 07:39 PM.
Yamaha's list is confusing. Did they run parallel sets of serial numbers from 1972-1999 in the chart above. Meaning it is possible to have an upright and grand with identical numbers. Or are they just showing the first number used for a grand/upright in that year?

To the original poster, looking at the right column for Hamamatsu. Your piano would be made in 1988.

Originally Posted by Chu Bun
I once wondered how legit was the serial number on a gray market piano. It does not seem difficult to scrape off the original and put on a serial number to make a piano appear "newer". I searched and found these postings on a British forum:
http://www.piano-tuners.org/piano-forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3709
So apparently, there are pianos with a funky serial number out there.

It is possible to remove the painted letters in the serial # on the cast iron plate and paint new/different numbers. However, the real serial # is also located in different places on the piano; i.e. the action assembly.

Of course, a savvy counterfeiter could do a through job of altering all the serial numbers, which is a crime; it's called fraud (if it can be proven).

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Originally Posted by DrewBone
In regards to at least the Yamaha "C" series, I do believe that your summation is regards to the incremental "letter" models and their associated incremental serial numbers is correct Mr. Rick.

My C7 model "D", just like the previous models "B" and "C" has a letter preceding the serial number, i.e., thusly, here's mine (yes it was built in 1979):

Andy, I think the primary difference between the "B" and the "D" model C7 is the fact that Yamaha made a big change in the design of the tail section of the piano. The tail section of my C7 is not a smooth circular curve, but an odd off-set curve, if that makes any sense.

The left side of the tail curve is longer than the right side, making the tail curve asymmetrical. Does that make any sense?

Also, my C7 "B" is 7'4"; I think your "D" is the 7'6" model, another difference between the two models (likely related to the tail curve design change).

Anyway, that is at least a couple of the design changes between the B and D versions of the C7 (I think smile ). If I'm wrong, maybe some of the pros will chime in and correct me.

Rick

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Don't buy a Focusrite.
by Christopher90 - 06/25/21 07:35 AM
Smaller Room - Grand Lid Down?
by brdwyguy - 06/25/21 06:46 AM
Break-ups are hard
by Athdara - 06/24/21 11:54 PM
(Question) VST-applied MIDI and live-recorded VST
by Saberlarry - 06/24/21 11:39 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,694
Posts3,107,113
Members101,902
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission