2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
97 members (Bobby Simons, Azunyan, AprilE, APianistHasNoName, ando, 23 invisible), 1,634 guests, and 823 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
L
login Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Ivory VR

[Linked Image]

Found on a magazine online.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Instead of changing boxes, colors, devices, desk placement at the NAMM, etc, I rather prefer to hear some news from Synthogy about new more realistic pianos they working on, (I hope), because at the moment, I dont want to order anything more from them. There are lots of other pianos from other brands better then Ivory. Thanks anyway for information.

Last edited by slobajudge; 01/13/16 01:07 PM.
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Really good idea, but if you have buy all their pianos separately (?) it may be a bit cost prohibitive to ever become more than a niche product. I also wonder what level of control the box offers to shape and customize the sound. Perhaps it can interface with a PC (or maybe one can plug a mouse/ pc monitor into it) to give you full access to the customization options. I look forward to seeing more about it.

Seems like it might make a great option to pair with a kawai VPC1

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
T
T
The box looks pretty much like a normal small factor pc with some controls and sockets added. There's a HDMI output and USB connector, so it could well be that it can be used as an PC. Could not find anything about it online. Would be nice to know, if it will run Ivory only or if this will be open for other virtual instruments as well :-)

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
For a performer on the road, this might be more reliable than a laptop-based VST.
Likewise in the studio.
I don't think this product is intended for the home market.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
I think it's great - I think many of us have wanted something like this for ages. It also shows they have great pride in their instruments.

Greg.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sullivang
I think it's great - I think many of us have wanted something like this for ages. It also shows they have great pride in their instruments.

Greg.
I'm with you. I can't wait to hear more about this. My first question is will it upgrade-able?

I played gigs with laptop but when I went back to sounds in DP (Roland FP4 at the time,) I decided it was just fine and less schepp. I searched for a module before I bought first VST, but there were none. I probably would of nixed the laptop and bought this box. I'm not a home producer so I don't need a bunch of VSTs.

AvantGrand N2 | ES110 | Mojo 61 | GK MK & MP amps
My guesses:

Expensive. Custom, purpose-built hardware serving a narrow, limited-distribution market comes at a high price.

And I'm betting: not upgradable.

Originally Posted by Thomas B
The box looks pretty much like a normal small factor pc with some controls and sockets added. There's a HDMI output and USB connector, so it could well be that it can be used as an PC. Could not find anything about it online. Would be nice to know, if it will run Ivory only or if this will be open for other virtual instruments as well :-)

Great points Thomas.

It's interesting that the ad suggests the Ivory libraries themselves are installed onto USB flash drives connected to the front of the unit, rather than to storage (SSD?) inside the device. I wonder if the iLok dongle will still be required?

Looking forward to reading more about the unit later in the month.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
P
P
Thanks for posting this, it looks interesting to say the least. Considering that this is purpose built I wonder if it will solve the issue that some users report of "disconnect" or latency when playing virtual instruments on their laptop/pc. If it plays as well as a DP's internal sounds then this could be an attractive solution for home users also...

T
T
Most likely this will not be in direct competition with the reason hardware units, but I guess it will be similar on the inside. I wonder what this Vixano thing is and if we will see other products based on Vixano that might come with more flexibility and maybe it also eliminates the need for the iLok dongle :-)

As this will be a PC inside and not made of specialized hardware components, I don't think that this will achieve better latency than a good PC with an adequate sound interface and drivers. At least for me that latency would be good enough.

Thomas

How do you know it will have a PC inside?
And if by "PC" you mean Windows ... how do you know it will be running Windows?
As this will be a PC inside and not made of specialized hardware components ...

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Educated guess by looking at the connectors. It doesn't necessarily have to be a 'windows' PC. The term stands for 'Personal Computer' I would not be surprised if it doesn't just have a bare bones linux operating system and maybe some windows emulators libraries (wine) like the receptor or musebox.
The company illio's website shows a store front for virtual instruments by various manufacturers. Its not too likely to be producing dedicated DSP chips & hardware. So more likely its a scaled down computer running an open source OS and libraries and likely some proprietary code as well.

A long long time ago, I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile....
R
R
Originally Posted by slobajudge
There are lots of other pianos from other brands better then Ivory.

Which VST piano is better than Ivory in your opinion?

Kawai VPC1 | Arturia Minilab Mk2
Pianoteq 6 Pro | Synthogy Ivory II | Production Voices | Arturia Analog Lab Lite | Korg Collection
Roland Quad Capture | Neumann KH120 | Grado SR225i
trumpet Getzen, cornet Olds Ambassador
T
T
Hi MacMacMac,

could be something else, but I have never seen a "real hardware sound module" with ethernet connection, wifi module and hdmi output smile I would be surprised if does not run either Linux or Windows Embedded.

I think you're totally right with the module most likely being expensive because of the "custom, purpose-built hardware serving a narrow, limited-distribution market" as you stated. This product is clearly a special piece of hardware (and most likely software), but I can not imagine that the core is not a standard pc platform.

Best regards,
Thomas

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I don't know about you guys but i think this is a good idea.. the portability coupled with the reliability. It's like a ps4 console for piano. No frills. And it may put virtual instruments in the spotlight. Alot of people are still very much computer illiterate. And many down even know what an audio interface is mustless an ssd.

Korg D1:Rokit 6 G3 Studio Monitors:Sennehiser Hd598c:AKG K240 MKII:Pianoteq Bechstein & Petrof:Garritan CFX:Ravenscroft:
KAYSERBURG UH 132 Royal Vertical:
1934 Danemann Upright located at MTA PHARMACY:
“Play me I’m Yours”public piano at my store smile
https://www.facebook.com/MTAPHARMACY
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S

I think you're totally right with the module most likely being expensive because of the "custom, purpose-built hardware serving a narrow, limited-distribution market"

Yep, and I bet a lot of people advised them not to produce it for those reasons. I think it's cool that they made the bloody thing anyway.

Greg.

I think it's a great idea, too.
Just plug it in and go. One midi cable, one power plug. Easy.
But I'm betting it's not a good value for the home user. We'll soon see the price.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I think this is a great idea.

I won't even consider a VST on a laptop since I don't want to buy a specific laptop for my piano VST but I won't use my normal computer because I would have to plug it/unplug it and fight for computing power/space with my regular tasks.

With something like this, since it doesn't function as a laptop or computer, I would consider as a piece of hardware like speakers to a digital piano with no keyboard. I would buy it if I had a keyboard. In fact I might get a Casio PX150/160 to use with this piece of hardware since I sold my N1. I never considered it before because I couldn't stand the sound on the lower end digitals.

I like it too. But doesn't the price matter? We haven't seen a price tag yet.
We wait.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Digital piano or Keyboard with the best piano sound
by Riccardo92 - 08/03/21 03:32 PM
VSTs on iMac 21.5" i5 2.7 (late 2013) anyone?
by EB5AGV - 08/03/21 02:43 PM
Yamaha P140 Music Rest
by Zooplibob - 08/03/21 01:32 PM
Piano Life Saver question
by RobAC - 08/03/21 12:00 PM
My Steinway A II
by brdwyguy - 08/03/21 10:09 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,353
Posts3,118,824
Members102,314
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission