2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
90 members (brdwyguy, 36251, anotherscott, Andrew_G, AllThingsKeyboard, c++, Augustina, 19 invisible), 1,640 guests, and 407 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
(quick update on progress: Still here, working on the final seven songs in the Alfred's Book 1)

I need a favor. Would someone be willing to play a couple bars of piano for my daughter? She is in an acapella group and asked me to play her part so she can islolate it. Of course it is in a key with all 5 black keys and I am not skilled enough to play it to speed for her.

I'll share the images of the sheet music ( here - pink highlighted lines only )
and a link to a video from the group from last year before she joined ( here)

Last edited by Dru Morgan; 11/26/15 04:53 PM.

Not on Facebook, but pretty visible at Google+
https://plus.google.com/+DruMorgan
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
OP Offline
In retrospect, I see that there are a LOT of pages. But, perhaps one or two of the more lyrical ones will help her out. Thanks for the consideration.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
are they supposed to all be connected? Or you want them with breaks in between the pages?

I think it wouldn't be too hard to play them in 1 page segments but to play them together one would have to print the pages or something like that I presume.

If you just want them one line at a time, I can do them for you tonight or tomorrow I think.

Edit: Maybe it would be easier if you scanned the pages so I can just look for her part in them rather than these half page images.

Last edited by Michiyo-Fir; 11/26/15 07:24 PM.
D
D
You can play it in G instead of Gb (just imagine it has no flats, but an F#). That should allow her to learn the tune.

But really, it's difficult to learn an a capella line in isolation, since so much depends on where one's part fits with the others.

Going forward, she should learn music theory and sightsinging/solfege. She should be able to puzzle out the rhythm and a diatonic line without too much difficulty. It's not practical to learn everything by rote. It's a matter of literacy and she should learn to read. (Actors don't learn their scripts by listening to recordings.)

Being a singer doesn't excuse one from being a skilled and educated musician. smile

*Note: This is not meant to be a condescending post full of shoulds. I know not every choral singer wants to invest years in training. But learning to sing well (especially in an ensemble) requires just as much time and practice as learning to play any other instrument. If she's spending time in a public school choir and her teacher is not teaching her these things, it would be worth addressing, IMO.

Full-time private voice teacher.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Start with the rhythm. It's notated 12/8 but you can think of it as 4/4 with a swing feel. So you would count this "1 'n a 2 'n a 3 'n a 4 'n a", with each beat worth a dotted quarter note and each sub-beat an eighth note. This would only change in the bars with all quarter notes (e.g. bar 72). Here you keep the same sub-beat but count it "1 n 2 n 3 n 4 n 5 n 6 n" instead.

When I have trouble hearing a melody I put it into MuseScore (https://musescore.org/) to get a rough idea.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
When I have trouble hearing a melody I put it into MuseScore (https://musescore.org/) to get a rough idea.

There's also Noteflight (http://www.noteflight.com) where you can input notes and then play it.

By the way, isolating the track might not help all that much. She'll have to hear the context to really know how it goes. At the very least, hear her part with the upper soprano part. Just trying to memorize your part (that isn't the melody) usually doesn't work all that well. I spent years as a musical director, rehearsing choirs and ensembles, so I know the frustration of teaching/learning parts.

My 2 cents. If you want to talk more about it, feel free to PM me.

-Brian
BM in Performance, Berklee College of Music, 23+ year teacher and touring musician
My Downloadable Video Piano Lessons
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music
OP Offline
Thanks for all the help. Her teacher, and the program, is pretty sophisticated and knows how to teach her. I didn't mean to imply that the teacher expected her to do it my way. I just thought I'd try to help. Nice to see the two links so for parts that I need help with I can get a general idea of what I should be playing.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Brian, you mentioned "the upper soprano part" as if it were a different part than what Dru's daughter is to sing. Judging by the pink highlighted words on Dru's images, I gather the daughter is on the upper soprano part herself (Soprano 1).

Dru, how does her choral director have the singers learn their parts?

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
OP Offline
They have headphones, where one ear is the whole song, and in the other ear, just her part is isolated. I think there are six different tracks. She is definitely 1st soprano. Her friends can hear the isolation track on their iphones, but her Android phone only plays the combined version for some reason.

When they are together, there is a piano player in the class and she helps them find each individual part and they practice together.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by PianoStudent88
Brian, you mentioned "the upper soprano part" as if it were a different part than what Dru's daughter is to sing. Judging by the pink highlighted words on Dru's images, I gather the daughter is on the upper soprano part herself (Soprano 1).

You're right.That'll teach me to try and respond quickly. I just glanced at the highlight, which appeared to be on the second line. I see now that it's on the words associated with the upper line. So she has the melody. Much easier. Never mind. smile

PS: I'd still encourage her to get together with friends on the other parts to hear how they work together. Blend is a big part of choral singing.

-Brian
BM in Performance, Berklee College of Music, 23+ year teacher and touring musician
My Downloadable Video Piano Lessons
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Brian Lucas
[quote=PianoStudent88]

PS: I'd still encourage her to get together with friends on the other parts to hear how they work together. Blend is a big part of choral singing.

I was practicing my part in a choir with the piano, but I've now decided I am going to try a new approach not practicing by myself. You implied above that learning a part alone is not really good, didn't you?

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Garritan with Sibelius "sound set" ?
by RinTin - 09/28/21 03:13 PM
help teaching an autistic child
by sheilaju - 09/28/21 02:33 PM
Old Kawai MP6
by johan d - 09/28/21 02:04 PM
Half Pedaling reality check
by Dore - 09/28/21 12:47 PM
Confused.
by Cutec - 09/28/21 10:43 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Our Free Newsletter for Piano Lovers!
The summer edition of our free newsletter
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,335
Posts3,135,868
Members102,845
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission